Re: SS8 Owners, to toe in or not to toe in
« Reply #20 on: 1 Dec 2012, 05:06 am »
Bob

I had them on carpet
Probably a big difference in the effectiveness of the Herbie sliders

highfilter

« Reply #21 on: 1 Dec 2012, 05:54 am »
I've had Herbie's Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders on my SS10's without issue and they work wonders on carpet or wood floors. Highly recommended.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2012, 02:40 pm »
High filter. - I forgot to mention the specific Herbie"s "giant" glider
In fact reading your initial ss arrival posts is what led me to buy a set, they work great!   a large thank you

How are you SS tens treating you? 

I really admire your photography skills. Albert Porter gets a run for his money.

On toe in.

I do no tow in, and the dead center image is full and solid. The soundstage very enhanced. Some recordings I swear a few placed instruments are 3ft +  beyond the speaker.

Perhaps toe in would widen the sweet spot - try it out

The dispersion patterns of the raal and accutron are incredibly wide - which makes for less need for toe in.
Jim and Dennis really did a fantastic job merging just the right drivers with their cabinets. 

The Soundscape 10s and 12s do have enhanced dispersion aspects due to the "no hold's barred" minimal isolated driver cabinet approach but I would say that based on my experiences with the HT3s, that the traditional full  front face cabinet has great  wide dispersion and toe in not necessary. 

The "speaker disappears in the room" sound is a trademark quality of the Salk brand

Experiment with your system - and don't overlook your speaker placement down to cm shifts.  The distance the speakers are apart and from the listener are also critical, I like the Cardas equa-distance near-field approach. Moving my listening position (couch)  up 6 inches had a positive effect. A tape measure, woofer sound quality aspects from distance out from the walls, and a patient set of ears is well worth the enjoyment. You would be amazed how far you can fine tune things.

Masking tape is your friend.

Speaker placement is one of the most neglected and rewarding upgrades, and the cost is not prohibitive.

Austin08

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2012, 03:34 pm »

Masking tape is your friend

+1. I like that. My wife always complaint about the messy look of her floor everytime  I got a new pair of speaker. I used to mark number on the taped spot and made note about it.  I often gave one taped "ok" spot a couple days of listening before making any change. That was leave quite a mess on the floor for awhile.  :green:

OgOgilby

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2012, 01:37 am »
Pick up some gaffers tape. It works much better than masking tape and can be removed cleanly  :thumb:

-Greg

yetis

« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2012, 01:45 am »
I've had Herbie's Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders on my SS10's without issue and they work wonders on carpet or wood floors. Highly recommended.

Ooo, I never knew about these. One more little tweek for the system for Christmas! These are very needed, ss8's are destroying my floor. Did you get the standard ones? Metal, type that is?

highfilter

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2012, 03:12 am »
In fact reading your initial ss arrival posts is what led me to buy a set, they work great!   a large thank you

How are you SS tens treating you? 

I really admire your photography skills. Albert Porter gets a run for his money.

No problem! The SoundScapes are still the kings of the castle in my place. Everytime a new album comes out, I can't wait to put them through the tests. And they never let me down!

Thanks again on the photography compliment, I tried to capture some of the beauty.  :)

Ooo, I never knew about these. One more little tweek for the system for Christmas! These are very needed, ss8's are destroying my floor. Did you get the standard ones? Metal, type that is?

I believe when I ordered mine there wasn't any other options on the site (or at least I can't remember), but I do have the brass ones. I have a bunch of Herbie's products and they are the real deal with honest pricing.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2012, 04:20 pm »
When I had guf's speakers  :), I used bound pieces or wool rug under them.  I could easily slide them on the hardwood floor without damage.

..........Peter