Cheap and cheerful Audiophile turntable

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Cheap and Cheerful Vinyl(?)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:49 am »
Me too Barry.  A possible Pro-ject Debut or Rega RP1 contender for the price they should be offered at?  With an  entry level Ortofon cart included?  Damn right I'm interested.  I don't suppose the $150 mark will be held for very long if the table takes off (remember the $96 AT440ML that soon went over $200).  Even at $2-300 a bargain if it barely plays music, and at first blush it looks like it may do much better than that.  Good find, I wonder when shipping starts.

chgolatin2

Re: Cheap and Cheerful Vinyl(?)
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2012, 01:47 pm »
I'm definitely jumping on this one once it comes out, I was about to invest in a cheap USB type turntable ;( to record some of my vinyls, play etc.  I left vinyl years ago and like a fool I shouldn't of let it go.. But for $150!???  Wow!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Cheap and cheerful Audiophile turntable
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2012, 08:59 pm »
Some folks from Berklee School & others have teamed to create an affordable turntable. Design and price seems tempting for starters on this hobby.

Im leaving the link to their site:
http://www.uturnaudio.com/

Edit: i notice there's already a thread on same topic under different name. Steve Guttemberg will be reviewing a prototype this weekend.

Rclark

Re: Cheap and cheerful Audiophile turntable
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:00 am »
For $150 I'd buy one just to have a turntable in my system (that also wasn't of questionable quality). But don't you need some super fancy special preamp just for the record player too? I'm not exactly sure how turntables work, they're a little intimidating, with all you guys babble about, half of it I don't understand. Phono pre's and direct drives and MM cartridges and whatnot. One of the reasons I don't bother.

Hope they get off the ground though, something like that is what it would take to get me into vinyl. An inexpensive player, that is a quality piece and well engineered.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:30 am »
.. yeah, you need a "phono pre" that's just dumb. That part turns me off right there. I'm getting a Dual Core next and that doesn't seem to include any "phono pre". Count me out.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:34 am »
Edit: i notice there's already a thread on same topic under different name. Steve Guttemberg will be reviewing a prototype this weekend.

No problem, I'll merge them together.  I've met Steve and like him a lot, looking forward to his review.

For $150 I'd buy one just to have a turntable in my system (that also wasn't of questionable quality). But don't you need some super fancy special preamp just for the record player too? I'm not exactly sure how turntables work, they're a little intimidating, with all you guys babble about, half of it I don't understand. Phono pre's and direct drives and MM cartridges and whatnot. One of the reasons I don't bother.

Hope they get off the ground though, something like that is what it would take to get me into vinyl. An inexpensive player, that is a quality piece and well engineered.

Yes, you should most definitely get into vinyl.  Your system will bloom like you cannot believe compared to digital (and I love digital, there's just something about vinyl).  Yes, it's intimidating.  So a table like this one, cartridge included and already aligned, is the absolute best way to begin, you can then learn the nuances as you go.  Whether this table is the one to go with, lets wait for Steve's review, but something plug and play like this is what you want.  Yes you need a phono preamp.  Luckily all these inexpensive plug and play tables use MM cartridges which use the simplest, least expensive phono pre's.  There's one included in the Emotiva USP-1 preamp, don't know if you still have one.  But you can get something acceptable for $100, NAD PP1, Project Box, etc.  You just put the table on a sturdy surface, connect the table to the phono-pre, connect the Phono pre to any line level input on your LDR, and spin records.

There's lots to like about the design of this table, and plenty that might be amiss, we'll need a review or two, either pro or forum member, to get an idea of where it is on the budget spectrum.  However it will certainly be a budget table sound and the most we can hope for is less sins of omission than the competition.  That being said, for $150 you can hardly get hurt very bad if you don't like the table.  Any early adopters among us?  Don't look at me, I already have six tables. 

.. yeah, you need a "phono pre" that's just dumb. That part turns me off right there. I'm getting a Dual Core next and that doesn't seem to include any "phono pre". Count me out.

Then again, turntables are for refined, intelligent, educated people, only the best of the best need apply.  Probably right, not for you, something on a computer disc would suit you better.  Yes, that's right, the door at the rear, just step out, that's a good lad.  (Whew, almost made a big mistake, don't want that sort in here with us, do we now.)
 :wink:

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:50 am »
Okay, okay, maybe I'll research it some more. The thing is I don't want to have to buy an extra part just to run it, and then obsess over buying the right one. I was hoping, turntable, plug into what I have, and roll.

Still think I want one. That lime green is calling my name.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:57 am »
Okay, okay, maybe I'll research it some more. The thing is I don't want to have to buy an extra part just to run it, and then obsess over buying the right one. I was hoping, turntable, plug into what I have, and roll.

Still think I want one. That lime green is calling my name.

That's why they have tables with built-in phono pres  :wink:

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:58 am »
wtf is a phono pre anyway?

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2012, 05:05 am »
This intrigues me! Recently lost my whole world to a house fire and never considered replacing my vinyl!  :thumb:
Thinking!  8)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2012, 05:13 am »
wtf is a phono pre anyway?

Really simple.  The output from the cartridge is teeny tiny, the Phono pre ups that to line level voltage (same as a CD player etc.).  Also the cartridge wants to see a certain impedance, 47 kOhm for MM carts, and a certain capacitance,  usually 150 to 350 μF, the phono pre supplies this.   Additionally, in order to get the cartridge to track the big excursions the needle would have to make on low frequencies, the bass on lp's is reduced by about 40db, using a specific RIAA curve, when cutting the record blanks.  The Phono pre applies the exact (hopefully) inverse of that curve, restoring the frequency response to flat.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2012, 05:20 am »
Ok, that's good. It just seemed suspect to me that you need this extra part that a regular preamp can't handle.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2012, 05:35 am »
Really simple.  The output from the cartridge is teeny tiny, the Phono pre ups that to line level voltage (same as a CD player etc.).  Also the cartridge wants to see a certain impedance, 47 kOhm for MM carts, and a certain capacitance,  usually 150 to 350 μF, the phono pre supplies this.   Additionally, in order to get the cartridge to track the big excursions the needle would have to make on low frequencies, the bass on lp's is reduced by about 40db, using a specific RIAA curve, when cutting the record blanks.  The Phono pre applies the exact (hopefully) inverse of that curve, restoring the frequency response to flat.

As someone who is newly interested in vinyl, that was a terrific answer.

I really hope these guys meet their goal and get this thing into production....I'll happily support them with a purchase for my first table.

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2012, 05:37 am »
If I can get a decent quality phono pre as you say (don't think I've ever seen one, I know nothing about this aspect of the hobby, nothing) for $100 and it would work with a Dual Core, and my total investment is then, wow, $250 total, I'm in.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:49 am »
This just might get me back into vinyl. I'm gonna toss a few bucks into the kitty.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:52 am »
Rclark (and others) looking for a quality cheap-n-cheerful phono pre: I have heard good things about the Hagerman Bugle, google it. You can buy it for one-fifty or diy it and keep it cheaper-n-cheerful. Don't know if there is anything decent for $100.

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2012, 04:39 am »
I'm gonna be a grump and say you need to either cough up some dough, buy used and/or diy to enjoy vinyl, even as  a beginner. I do not think a new budget vinyl setup (<$500) competes with a similar cost digital/PC in terms of fidelity.

And yes the Hagerman Bugle easily outclasses budget phono pres like Musical Fidelity to my ears.

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2012, 04:48 am »
Did you look at it? It looks pretty decent and engineered, they didn't just slap some pieces together, they seem to have done a lot of measuring, etc. Watch the video.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2012, 04:49 am »
Did you look at it? It looks pretty decent and engineered, they didn't just slap some pieces together, they seem to have done a lot of measuring, etc. Watch the video.

Yes I saw the video. What does measuring have to do with... ah, forget it.