Audio Myths too

Rclark

Re: Audio Myths too
« Reply #140 on: 30 Nov 2012, 10:10 pm »
Gotcha  :thumb:

Yes, indeed, Mr.Green, you are forgetting something. Thanks for the compliment about my humble system. Please address the rest of my post. It is to your benefit.

pansixt

« Reply #141 on: 30 Nov 2012, 10:11 pm »

Michael,

The stand on the left in this image is one of your stands that I purchased in the late 80's or early 90's.
Simple, solid construction.

I do remember attending one of your demo's around that time and asking you about "tuning" this stand.
At that time, you were having a conversation with a couple of industry heavyweights, but you took the time to
instruct me on the possibilities of using different torque specs on anchoring the shelves. this was revised from the instructions that were originally given, which advised to level the shelves, which any normal person would do.

Long story short, I have long used your application of tuning, or using just enough torque, for each shelf dependent on the imaging of the sound. This, to me is no different than toe-in of speakers, or dampening of components, or any other technique which millions of people use on a daily basis to pursue what we all pursue in this hobby.

In this industry/hobby, we are all taught to be "Doubting Thomas's". And this we shall remain until we have clear, concise answers to our individual questions.

Please try and accommodate us.

James

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
  • "everything affects everything else"
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #142 on: 30 Nov 2012, 11:30 pm »
Sorry Guys

I'm jumping all around today as usual for the weekends. I lot of people getting ready for their weekend  listening events.

What was the question I missed?

If I don't get to someone it's not on purpose it's just easier for me to visit people on their own threads. Can I make a suggestion, there are a lot of folks up here that use my stuff wouldn't it be easier for you and me if we did this either on TuneLand or better yet on a circle here. I'm willing to sponsor one and as I have said can organize it so that you guys can ask questions about your systems that won't get thrown into the mix with everything else. As James has said accommodating is the name of the game and whether some buy into me getting and giving responses or not, I can tell you unless this is organized fairly quick it is going to start getting diluted. Please keep in mind that while I'm doing this I've also done 6 or seven systems today plus Tuneland.

thanks

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #143 on: 30 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm »
You know, Mr. Green, there's a saying in the Fleet Marine Force when confronted with a situation like this, "It ain't my first day on the beach". I'm beginning to believe that you are simply full of it.

Doc.

werd

« Reply #144 on: 30 Nov 2012, 11:56 pm »
Update

Ok well I have spent the last hour applying the outlet tunng. I am assuming we are only loosening the screws that hold down the outlet into the box. Anyways there is difference. I can see what he means by opening up the soundstage but unfortunately in my system it came at a cost of resolution. Any fillers gets lost that are seated behind the prominent instrument.

Using track 6 (Never Dead) on this recording I got a good feeling of what was going on.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD016861770068

With the outlet loosen you get more over lower midrange tone on the galloping guitar. In fact people who like listening to loud metal I might recommend trying this to get more guitar in your sound field. But it came with some loss of air and taught control. As a result the guitar solos over the rhythm guitar loses its appeal somewhat.

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #145 on: 1 Dec 2012, 12:04 am »
IMO I don't think his suggestions would amount to anything on my amps, so I'm good there. The technology is beyond to where loosening a screw is going to do anything. I think his suggestions are probably best for vintage type gear, etc, or the standard, old school classes of amplifier.

Also my speakers, with the hardwood frame and planar speaker are pretty much likened to a musical instrument, there's not a whole lot to do there. Plays anything and if I need extra midbass, I've got something for that.

Interesting thread though. You seem to be suggesting the total opposite of some people. Less treatment, less bracing, etc.

Michael, I'd like to know where you derived these solutions from, and if you have any measured performance to back up your claims. If not, that's okay too, but if so then now would also be a good time to call in backup. If you have helped a lot of people with their systems, I would suggest they step forward and give us their experience. People from this forum or credible known entities from other forums would be optimal.

Some of the forum veterans seem to be siding with you, some not. Taking it from here will require more than long paragraphs.

hi Rclark

Is the missing part to your Q? for me the part about back up or measuring? If so my goodness so many reviews and tons of posts on TuneLands archives and forums all over the place. It would take me forever to go through and copy this stuff. Not trying to be a snob but I'm not interested in proving myself all over again because someone doesn't want to look it up or read the reviews or the tech talk. If not convinced about my stuff that's fine by me, but I'm more interested in moving forward.

You guys don't realize how people every day do all they can to get me to deal with them privately instead of on a forum that can reach many. If it's not organized it makes no sense and it also cheats the guys who have me contracted to work on their private setup. Plus my friends on Tuneland are the tops and deserve most of my time. Plus one thing. I listen 6 to 8 hrs a day.

So I'm not sure if this was the part that you are saying I missed, but if it is to me this is a no brainer and I probably jumped right over it. Or was there something else. Again I'm not a snob, it's just like all of you I have to judge what is profitable moving forward and not always going back to do what was done long ago.

I know some of you are thrilled to hear this but sometime I have to get back to work and either there will be a sponsored place here or I have other commitments. Some of you, most I would say, may be DT's but the rest of the world is a big place and I nor does any one else have the time to serve the DT's of the world. Some where along the line people have to find faith in some thing on their own.

You know, I'm fairly well known and still you doubt. If you do this to everyone who comes along with the goods you guys are going to, for the most part, be sitting still as the rest of the listeners find or create a more progressive stage.

werd

« Reply #146 on: 1 Dec 2012, 12:15 am »
Did you do it to your new BDA-2?

I hope not.  :duh:

Lol ... No.

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #147 on: 1 Dec 2012, 12:19 am »
Update

Ok well I have spent the last hour applying the outlet tunng. I am assuming we are only loosening the screws that hold down the outlet into the box. Anyways there is difference. I can see what he means by opening up the soundstage but unfortunately in my system it came at a cost of resolution. Any fillers gets lost that are seated behind the prominent instrument.

Using track 6 (Never Dead) on this recording I got a good feeling of what was going on.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD016861770068

With the outlet loosen you get more over lower midrange tone on the galloping guitar. In fact people who like listening to loud metal I might recommend trying this to get more guitar in your sound field. But it came with some loss of air and taught control. As a result the guitar solos over the rhythm guitar loses its appeal somewhat.

Hello, now we are talking. Someone did something and, And, AND a difference. This will settle in by the way and become more balanced. Now if folks can get past the doubt thing we can get to the tuning part. At this point good or bad makes no difference to me. The first step is proving to those that there is a difference so we can move on. If we find the places in the systems I've mentioned a lot already we can start opening things up on a bigger scale then start tuning them back in, but what you have just done is step one. Proof that there is a difference. I'd like to recommend you guys take http://tuneland.techno-zone.net/ and www.tuneland.info a lot more serious cause they can teach you how to tune this all in and take any system a lot further.

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #148 on: 1 Dec 2012, 12:23 am »
werd, where do I send the Christmas card?

holy crap what a tough crowd :duh:

Devil Doc

« Reply #149 on: 1 Dec 2012, 12:33 am »
I like werd. He's one of the few that can take it as well as dish it out, but I don't put a lot of stock in what he claims to hear. I'm sure he hears it and I'm sure I wouldn't. Your "tunes" don't really lend thenselves to DBT, do they?
I sure would like to hear from a few of your acolytes
Doc

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #150 on: 1 Dec 2012, 12:46 am »
Michael Green,
You're the Flexi Rack fellow?

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #151 on: 1 Dec 2012, 01:00 am »
Michael Green,
You're the Flexi Rack fellow?

First time I ever heard of a Flexi Rack, but there are a lot of racks some what similar to my designing now. You should visit China :icon_lol:. It's like michael green knock off center there.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #152 on: 1 Dec 2012, 01:10 am »
I don't know what you were or are calling it but the stand pansixt posted a photo of is commonly known as a Flexi Stand or Flexi Rack.
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2012, 02:14 am by SteveFord »

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #153 on: 1 Dec 2012, 01:19 am »
I don't know what you were or are calling it but the stand pansixt posted a photo of is commonly known as a Flexi Stand.

Oh sorry, he has a JustaRak. Yes, I am the designer.

pansixt

« Reply #154 on: 1 Dec 2012, 01:23 am »
Steve,
Thanks for the confirmation on that.

Devil Doc

« Reply #155 on: 1 Dec 2012, 01:30 am »
You can run Michael but you're just going to die tired. We'd all like to hear from a few of your satisfied customers. I'm sure if they're as enthralled as you say they are, they would be most happy to post here. BTW, I've received a number of PMs encouraging me in my pursuit. :lol: Seriously.
Doc

Guy 13

« Reply #156 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:43 am »
First time I ever heard of a Flexi Rack, but there are a lot of racks some what similar to my designing now. You should visit China :icon_lol:. It's like michael green knock off center there.

Hi Michael and all Audio Circle members.

What is so special about this rack or any rack that you have engineered
and in which way does it improve the sound?
Please Micheal, try to be a little more technical than usual
and prove to us with evidence that this rack improve sound.
Don't do as usual, I mean bla, bla, bla going on forever
and at the end, we are no further advance on how it works.

{{ HOW CAN A RACK LIKE THAT CAN IMPROVE THE SOUND ? }}

It giggles with the music ! ! !

Try to be more precise and less vague...

Is that too much to ask ?

Guy 13

We Audio Circle members (Well most of us) want to learn,
but don't want to do what you say, just because you said it.
Prove, explain and tell us how it works.

Guy 13

« Reply #157 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:51 am »

Michael,

The stand on the left in this image is one of your stands that I purchased in the late 80's or early 90's.
Simple, solid construction.

I do remember attending one of your demo's around that time and asking you about "tuning" this stand.
At that time, you were having a conversation with a couple of industry heavyweights, but you took the time to
instruct me on the possibilities of using different torque specs on anchoring the shelves. this was revised from the instructions that were originally given, which advised to level the shelves, which any normal person would do.

Long story short, I have long used your application of tuning, or using just enough torque, for each shelf dependent on the imaging of the sound. This, to me is no different than toe-in of speakers, or dampening of components, or any other technique which millions of people use on a daily basis to pursue what we all pursue in this hobby.

In this industry/hobby, we are all taught to be "Doubting Thomas's". And this we shall remain until we have clear, concise answers to our individual questions.

Please try and accommodate us.

James

Hi all Audio Circle members.

It might be a good idea to have a marble plate to sit the rack on,
but the rack itself is way too high for  four threaded rods
and the component sitting on top of it,
will sway like a sky scrapper pushed by 100 mph wind,
don't you think so?
Is that the idea of this design.
You are not re-inventing the wheel,
that design is what I call an: everybody design.

Guy 13

Again, I demand explanation on this rack works.
I want to know, I want to learn.

Guy 13

« Reply #158 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:55 am »
werd, where do I send the Christmas card?

holy crap what a tough crowd :duh:

Hi Michael and all Audio Circle members.

Yes, we are a tough crowd here at Audio Circle,
we need proofs,
we cannot believe something and everything,
just because Doc Micheal Green said it.

Guy 13

tomytoons

« Reply #159 on: 1 Dec 2012, 02:00 pm »
 :lol:
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2012, 02:26 pm by tomytoons »