SSD for 2012 Mini?

HPower

SSD for 2012 Mini?
« on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:11 pm »
I did not get much feedback on my other thread...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110143.0

Probably asked too many things at once, so I will narrow it down to what I am most unsure of.
What would be the better options for a SSD to swap out the OEM HD for?

I will be ordering  a base Mini shortly:
   •   2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
   •   2GB memory
   •   500GB hard drive1
   •   Intel HD Graphics 3000
   •   OS X Mountain Lion

I was leaning to OWC for the SSD...
1) Mercury Electra 6G, 60gb = $84
2) Mercury Electra 6G, 120gb = $128
3) Mercury Extreme Pro 6G, 120gb = $160

Which of these 3 make the most sense, or is there another SSD that I should consider?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: SSD for 2012 Mini?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:12 pm »
The OWC (www.macsales.com SSD are great IMO)

How many Cd's do you have?  That will dictate what drive you get for music storage.

HPower

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:09 pm »
Hey jtwrace,
Sounds like there is at least 1 endorsement for OWC.  :thumb:

I have approx. 1500 CDs in my collection as well as about 150GB of downloaded music, maybe 1/2 of which is higher res (HD Tracks etc).
My plan for the new SSD is to just use it for iOS and minimal software.
I will probably strip off any non-audio Apple Software, so I am guess that a 60GB or 120GB should be large enough?
For music storage, a couple of 2 TB Firewire drives (1 for back-up, one for playing library) should cover me?…

For those I was looking at:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

The couple email conversations that I have had with OWC have been very prompt and helpful...
I would be more than happy if I knew their products are as good as there correspondence.
There are so many companies (Samsung, Crucial, OCZ, ect.) to choose from that it makes the choice difficult for a newbee like me.   :scratch:
That is why I was trying to lean on some of the seasoned veterans around here.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:14 pm »
There may be an easier way, but if you open terminal and run

cd
du -h -d 0 .

That will tell you how much space your home directory uses. Subtract that from your disk usage and that will tell you roughly how much space is used for everything but your home directory.

[Edit: that's assuming that your'e the only user with an account on the computer.]

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:37 pm »
I asked a similar question recently regarding a SSD for a MacBook Pro, most of the research I did prior to this pointed me in the direction of OWC drives.  An AC member responded with links to the Mac forums in which Samsung SSD's had very positive reviews, after researching various sites I bought a Samsung - I believe it was the 530 series, this may have now been replaced by the 540 series.  The Apple crowd that prefer the Samsung seem to do so because of its speed/reliability and OEM status with Apple.   

I don't think there's much difference between the OWC sourced drives and the Samsung, but it's an additional option to consider.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:54 pm »
I've got an OWC SSD in my Mini but be prepared for major surgery to get it installed.  Don't forget to order the cable  and tools, too.  I had troubles with mine not being recognized until I switched positions and installed the SSD where the stock HD was plugged in.  But once it works it's blazing:

HPower

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:42 am »
Hey nathanm,

Good to hear, 2 endorsements for OWC.  :)

What type of surgery?
The UTube videos that I saw looked sort of straight forward, both the replace OEM drive, as well as the add the
SSD piggy backed to the OEM HDD via the OWC Data Doubler:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA65MjfRG8

I was leaning to just replacing the OEM drive with the SSD and just going with only the new SSD internally, the OWC is not plug and play as per this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBongunj4pc&feature=related

What OWC SSD model did you go with?
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2012, 01:34 pm by HPower »

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:58 am »
Make that 3 endorsements for OWC SSD drives. I am using a 60GB SSD Mercury Extreme Pro in an iMac 11,3 as the Startup Drive. OWC installed the SSD into my iMac.  The SSD only holds the OS and my applications. As well as functioning as my music server, I do photo editing and graphics work on my iMac. It is crazy fast, and [knock wood] been very stable. I am considering upgrading it to a 120GB in the near future-even installing it myself using their DIY kit....I am just over the 3/4 full mark with 47.5 GB.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2012, 05:11 am »
If I had to do it again I would avoid paying too much attention to the specs of the various SSD's. Just buy a reputable brand SSD with a good warranty for the least amount of money per gigabyte. Check sites like www.dealmac.com regularly and you'll find a killer price. I run four different macs with four different SSD drives (Kingston, Samsung, OCZ & OWC) ALL of them have offered startling speed boosts over the mechanical hard drives they replaced. All of them have been equally reliable as well.

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:35 am »
I run a 240GB OWC Extreme SSD in my MacBook pro and have had it for a while now with no slow down at all.

I can say they are good products. :thumb:

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:52 am »
I would avoid paying too much attention to the specs of the various SSD's

I think that's generally correct for music playback.

I want to throw in another recommendation for OWC. I love these guys. I have sent back my drives for them to check several times. and they straighten out any glitches and send it back- no charge. And you can always get them on the phone within a minute or two.

You can save a few bucks on specials but if you want good service and a reliable no hassle warranty, OWC is the way to go.

Over time, my hard rives are becoming more valuable. With years of family pictures, videos and a couple gigs of music, I am increasingly appreciative of  the reliable service OWC offers.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:55 am »
So, recap, get one OWC SSD for OS.  Then add, OWC RAM, (2) external HD and most importantly get SuperDuper! for backup.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

HPower

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:18 pm »
Some strong love for OWC.  8)

I think I will more than likely go for the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G, 120gb = $160.
It is 32 bucks more than the Mercury Electra 6G, 120gb, but comes with a 5 yr warranty, vs. 3 yr on the Electra.
Probably will not need 120gb for just the OS and Applications but the Extreme doesn't seem to be offered in the 60gb.

So, recap, get one OWC SSD for OS.  Then add, OWC RAM, (2) external HD and most importantly get SuperDuper! for backup.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Yes, I will also swap in OWC's 16gb of RAM, at $113... seems like a no brainer, even if it is overkill for a music server.
I think I will also go with a couple of the 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire external drives... $195 each.

Thanks for the heads up on the SuperDuper, I will read up on it.

I was initially a little apprehensive about getting into this but with your guy's help and a little more reading it is turning
into something that I find myself getting excited about.

Don't be afraid to shoot more suggestions my way... Thanks!!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:22 pm »
Some strong love for OWC.  8)

I think I will more than likely go for the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G, 120gb = $160.
It is 32 bucks more than the Mercury Electra 6G, 120gb, but comes with a 5 yr warranty, vs. 3 yr on the Electra.
Probably will not need 120gb for just the OS and Applications but the Extreme doesn't seem to be offered in the 60gb.

Yes, I will also swap in OWC's 16gb of RAM, at $113... seems like a no brainer, even if it is overkill for a music server.
I think I will also go with a couple of the 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire external drives... $195 each.

Thanks for the heads up on the SuperDuper, I will read up on it.

I was initially a little apprehensive about getting into this but with your guy's help and a little more reading it is turning
into something that I find myself getting excited about.

Don't be afraid to shoot more suggestions my way... Thanks!!!
You will be all set with this.  The only thing I'd say is that if you are planning on video or photo's, up the HD size.  It's much less expensive to do it now then later. 

SuperDuper! is a no brainer IMO.  It works flawlessly and has saved my a$$ twice. 

One more thing.  If you are using a USB dac, use the FW connection on the HD's and vice versa.

HPower

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2012, 02:18 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence jtrwrace!

This new Mini will be just for 2 channel audio, so I am hopeful that 2TBs will do the trick.

Money wise, I will hold off on a DAC for a couple months.
That will let me get comfy with the Mini and to start compiling the music into the library.

I am leaning towards the John Kenny all-in-one JKDAC32...
It's a modified I2S Hiface capable of true 32/192 end-to-end operation
.i.e a 32/192 stream is used internally between the USB input & the 32/192 DAC

At 500 Euros (approx. $675) it is said to compete well above it's price point.
And with this USB unit, you echo what I have read in suggesting to go Firewire for the external HDs.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2012, 02:42 pm »
Neophyte question:  You only need a small SSD drive to handle the OS and a standard HD is sufficient for the music files?  I kept thinking you needed 1 or 2 TB of SSD drive to be king for a day?

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:19 pm »

Might be worth paying the little extra to get the USB3+Firewire version. All new Macs will have USB3 ports, Firewire - maybe not.

kenreau

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:47 pm »
I would also recommend going the FW drive route for your outboard HD music files and keep your DAC on the USB.  From what I've read, the consistent recommendation is to get a FW drive with the Oxford chipset. 

Quote from: HPower on Today at 04:18 am

Might be worth paying the little extra to get the USB3+Firewire version. All new Macs will have USB3 ports, Firewire - maybe not.

brj

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2012, 04:59 pm »
Nice setup, HPower!

To those recommending SuperDuper, the primary benefit in this environment, over Time Machine, is simply the ability to make your backup disks bootable?  I understand it clones drives as well, though I've never had a need for that in a home environment.  Or is there some other key feature that Time Machine lacks?

(I'm not hard sold on TM or anything - I've just never had a reason to look beyond it, so I'm curious.)

Thanks!

HPower

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2012, 05:15 pm »

I am glad you raised this John, for sure something to think about.

I will ask this in conjunction with kenreau's point, would it be ideal to go USB2 to the DAC, and then USB3 to the external HD?
Or would that potentially have a similar negative effect on the sound quality like going USB2 to both HD and DAC?

kenreau, according to OWC's specs on the Mercury Elite Pro:
"High-Performance Oxford 9XX Chipset"... one of the resons I thought this would be a good option for HDs.