SSD for 2012 Mini?

JohnR

Re: SSD for 2012 Mini?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Nov 2012, 01:18 pm »
I've got an OWC SSD in my Mini but be prepared for major surgery to get it installed.  Don't forget to order the cable  and tools, too.  I had troubles with mine not being recognized until I switched positions and installed the SSD where the stock HD was plugged in. 

I'm guessing you installed the dual drive kit?

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 2 Nov 2012, 01:36 pm »
I will ask this in conjunction with kenreau's point, would it be ideal to go USB2 to the DAC, and then USB3 to the external HD?
Or would that potentially have a similar negative effect on the sound quality like going USB2 to both HD and DAC?

If you have a USB DAC then Firewire for the drives would the best option. I was just thinking about a bit of future-proofing as drives seem to outlast computers, in my experience anyway. Then again, with the way prices change, probably better not to get something until you need it. Thunderbolt storage would avoid the dilemma but it's still expensive.

Personally, the price of SSDs can't come down fast enough for me :) Hard drives are noisy... another factor to consider, BTW.

You know, you could just start with the internal drive, it will take a while to rip 500G of CDs so you'll have time to think about it.

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 2 Nov 2012, 01:43 pm »
To those recommending SuperDuper, the primary benefit in this environment, over Time Machine, is simply the ability to make your backup disks bootable?  I understand it clones drives as well, though I've never had a need for that in a home environment.  Or is there some other key feature that Time Machine lacks?

I'm trying out Carbon Copy Cloner but I think it's a similar concept. If a drive fails, boot from the backup drive and keep working. When the new main drive arrives, clone the backup drive back to it and keep going. With TM you have downtime while you wait for and rebuild the new drive.

Also, there are options to not (for example) keep archive copies of changed files. For a music library, I don't think TM makes a lot of sense.

HPower

« Reply #23 on: 2 Nov 2012, 01:49 pm »
If you have a USB DAC then Firewire for the drives would the best option. I was just thinking about a bit of future-proofing as drives seem to outlast computers, in my experience anyway. Then again, with the way prices change, probably better not to get something until you need it. Thunderbolt storage would avoid the dilemma but it's still expensive.

Personally, the price of SSDs can't come down fast enough for me :) Hard drives are noisy... another factor to consider, BTW.

You know, you could just start with the internal drive, it will take a while to rip 500G of CDs so you'll have time to think about it.

Ya noise is a consideration, that is why I was thinking about just replacing the OEM HD with the SSD, vs. piggy backing it with the "Data Doubler" kit.
Figuring the Mini will be located with the rest of the stereo electronics but have the external drive away from the listening area.
With the OEM drive removed from the Mini, it should help keep things a bit more quite.

It would definitely be nice to see some higher capacity SS, Thunderbolt drives at an affordable price.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #24 on: 2 Nov 2012, 04:50 pm »
I have the Oxford chips in my drives as well, they have been work horses.

Does Super Duper allow you to back up your music files to two drives at the same time?

The problem i have with time machine is that it only backs up to one hard drive and and not two. I can drag my library over to the second drive but then when I add more music I have to manually move those songs to the second drive.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:03 pm »
Does Super Duper allow you to back up your music files to two drives at the same time?
No.  But it does have a scheduler. 

nathanm

« Reply #26 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:13 pm »
I'm guessing you installed the dual drive kit?
Yes.  I had the machine taken apart and put back together about six times in total.  Moving the SSD to another Mac to try and format it, etc.  It was only solved until they suggested moving it to the 1st slot.  I became very good at disassembling that thing, though!

I also describe it as major surgery because you have to remove all the internal parts in order to insert the drive, which is something you normally never have to do with most computers.  Very tiny screws, easily lost also supports the 'surgery' vibe.

Now, on the other hand putting a new OWC SSD in a Mac Pro was a walk in the park.  Two screws into their custom 2.5 to 3.5 drive sled and you're done.  But then again, you aren't going to throw your back out lifting a Mac Mini!

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 2 Nov 2012, 08:24 pm »
No.  But it does have a scheduler.

Thanks jtwrace, so can you schedule it to switch back and forth between drives?

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 5 Nov 2012, 09:12 am »
With the OEM drive removed from the Mini, it should help keep things a bit more quite.

The internal drive in the mini is actually fairly quiet. Quieter than either of the two external 2.5" drives I have, I'm fairly sure. I've been meaning to try and measure drive noise levels, hopefully soon. Still, SSDs are great, dead silent and fast.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:17 pm »
Thanks jtwrace, so can you schedule it to switch back and forth between drives?
I don't think so but I'll take a look tonight.  Just so you know you can download the full version and try it for free.  The only difference with the paid version is that you can do smart update (only changes get changed).

toocool4

« Reply #30 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:41 pm »
I have the Oxford chips in my drives as well, they have been work horses.

The problem i have with time machine is that it only backs up to one hard drive and and not two. I can drag my library over to the second drive but then when I add more music I have to manually move those songs to the second drive.

The solution to backing up to 2 drives is to get an external drive that is a RAID. This way everything is done for you and if one drive fails, you just replace the dead drive.

I would recommend a RAID 5 instead of a mirrored drive for better redundancy.

I use a RAID 5 Thecus at home.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 5 Nov 2012, 11:48 pm »
I don't think so but I'll take a look tonight.  Just so you know you can download the full version and try it for free.  The only difference with the paid version is that you can do smart update (only changes get changed).

Thanks again jtwrace, I'll check the program out.

The solution to backing up to 2 drives is to get an external drive that is a RAID. This way everything is done for you and if one drive fails, you just replace the dead drive.

I would recommend a RAID 5 instead of a mirrored drive for better redundancy.

I use a RAID 5 Thecus at home.

That is a good idea but I already have two Oyen Digital 1TB drives. There must be a program that allows one to back up to 2 different drives? If anyone finds out about one please let me know.

Greg