The overlooked misunderstood audio piece??

geowak

The overlooked misunderstood audio piece??
« on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm »
Well I am done for awhile with piecing together TWO systems. Now I am looking for a chair, which I have been searching out for awhile now.
What do you audiophiles think about this assessment and comment...

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1578-The-Listening-Chair

All comments welcome
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2012, 03:10 pm by geowak »

JohnR

Re: The overlooked misunderstood audio piece??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2012, 02:10 am »
I think the piece (from skimming it) could be summed up as "get a chair that you find comfortable," with the one exception of the height of the back. Just yesterday I was shown some "room" measurements that were markedly different - the difference being whether the listening chair was there or not. However the back was not "high" - the top was only just below the microphone height.

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2012, 03:11 am »
I spent months looking for the right sofa, and found it about a year ago - expensive, but top grain Italian leather that's so luxurious that you melt into it, the most comfortable sofa I've ever sat on - or "in". I have my subs on both sides, and face my speakers and super tweeters. Late in the evening, when all of the duties and cares of the day are behind me, I like to select some good rock or blues, crank it up and settle into my sofa with a large, ice cold gin martini, lights out.  In my view, it's the civilized way to wrap up the evening.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:07 pm »
Just yesterday I was shown some "room" measurements that were markedly different - the difference being whether the listening chair was there or not. However the back was not "high" - the top was only just below the microphone height.

Yes, a high-back chair creates strong "early" reflections that really damage sound quality. Another option is to lay a thick absorbing blanket or similar over the chair, to reduce the reflections.

--Ethan

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:49 pm »
Yes, a high-back chair creates strong "early" reflections that really damage sound quality. Another option is to lay a thick absorbing blanket or similar over the chair, to reduce the reflections.

--Ethan

I was at my brothers last week and his wife had bought him one of those Scandinavian leather chairs with a high back. Beautiful chair. My brother had me listen sitting in the naked chair, then put a blanket over the back of the chair. Quite a difference.

When we bought our chairs I went with shoulder height reclining chairs made of fabric.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2012, 05:08 pm »
I jump through quite a few hoops to wrest the best possible sound from my system. Messing with my chair ain't going to be one of them. There's a limit to this madness we call a hobby and this is where I draw the line.

Doc

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:42 pm »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2012, 07:05 pm »
Number one is comfort, which should go without saying...but then this hobby does strange things to people's priorities.  Second would be early reflection free...i found my dream listening chair in Ekornes.  The headrest is integrated into the chair and, when down, let's me listen without anything hitting behind my ears, etc.  But when I want to recline, etc the headrest is pulled upward and does its thing.  And the mass of the chair is not so much that any undue huge leather panels cause any issues (that would require blanketing, etc)

jhm731

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2012, 07:22 pm »
I like this one:

[/img]

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2012, 07:50 pm »
I picked 2 of these up last year. Made in USA....
They are gliders that also swivel. The heavy padding
behind the head absorb any rear wall reflections....

Made by the Best Chair company.

Wayner

martyo

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2012, 08:58 pm »
Number one is comfort, which should go without saying...but then this hobby does strange things to people's priorities.  Second would be early reflection free...i found my dream listening chair in Ekornes.  The headrest is integrated into the chair and, when down, let's me listen without anything hitting behind my ears, etc.  But when I want to recline, etc the headrest is pulled upward and does its thing.  And the mass of the chair is not so much that any undue huge leather panels cause any issues (that would require blanketing, etc)

That's the ticket, the adjustable headrest.  8)

Airborn

« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2012, 06:16 am »
I've auditioned Ekornes Stressless and it is the best IMO. Now if only I could get one. :green:

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2012, 10:21 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
My best chair is from IKEA and it costed me only 165 USD ten years ago.
It's leather, it's comfortable, it's not too massive (Big)
I will try to put some kind of absorbing material behind my head to see if you guys are right about improving the sound.
Thanks.

Guy 13

DTB300

« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:24 pm »
I've auditioned Ekornes Stressless and it is the best IMO. Now if only I could get one. :green:
I searched for many many months, sitting in almost every chair sold at local stores looking for a comfortable chair for back and neck issues.  It came down to Ekornes and Perfect Chair (the Eames was also exceptional)  Both the E and PC  I could sit in for a couple of hours with no issues (test drive at the store).  Since the PC was 1/2 price of the Ekornes, I went with the PC (and the head rest is removable for those critical listening sessions).  No regrets almost 3 years later - still comfortable.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm »

Yep, they are pricey. But they are the only chair I've ever owned I could sleep in without waking up with major back aches. A suggestion - check the store from time to time for orders that got returned. I got my second one that way, turned out it wasn't the right shade of brown for the purchaser's decor. Got it for 15-20% off, which wasn't a bad deal, and I'd guess from time to time you can do even better. Happy hunting, it's certainly the last thing I thought I'd ever spend that much money on, but don't regret it for a second.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2012, 02:50 am by ArthurDent »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:51 pm »
We have a couple of the Ekornes chairs in white leather. Frankly, my wife and I never imagined owning recliners, but these are great pieces of furniture. Our only complaint is they don't provide great lower back support (for those of us with issues in that area).

dwk

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:26 pm »

We have a reclining Ekornes loveseat as our 'home theater' seating and agree that it's fantastic. My audio setup is now headphones, and currently that is in a cheap Ikea Poang chair which is very comfortable and fairly inexpensive.

RCduck7

« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2012, 03:04 pm »
I agree Ikea chairs are relaxing, like this one..
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80112169/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2012, 03:42 pm »
That is the one. Inexpensive, comfy and looks good to boot.

charles

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2012, 04:25 pm »
That's what I have, albeit the older version. However I did notice a difference in measurements with it in place vs without it.

Odd that all of a sudden acoustic measurements don't matter.