The overlooked misunderstood audio piece??

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: The overlooked misunderstood audio piece??
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2012, 04:31 pm »

Odd that all of a sudden acoustic measurements don't matter.

?? In what way?  Who said that?  They matter a lot, once you get "I need a chair, regardless" as first priority. 

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:47 am »
Um... one person was very explicit about it and others are using highbacked chairs... I don't think a blanket is going to make much difference.

What would be interesting though is to explore how audible the various measurable differences are.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:10 am »
Just sit and listen in your low back chair and then listen holding a pillow behind your head.  The difference is not subtle.  No measurements required.

Steve

martyo

« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:57 am »
Just sit and listen in your low back chair and then listen holding a pillow behind your head.  The difference is not subtle.  No measurements required.

Steve

Yep

jk@home

« Reply #24 on: 19 Sep 2012, 10:59 am »
I use a decent quaility office chair on wheels, so that I can tweak my listening position on the fly, takes the place of a balance control  :D (Actually I have a desk behind the chair). If I really want to get comphy, I'll use a cloth ottoman as a foot rest, I guess that counts as extra absorption.

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 19 Sep 2012, 11:54 am »

Steve

OK, but you have no idea why...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #26 on: 23 Sep 2012, 07:47 pm »
Well I didn't do any measurements (sorry John), but I did try various chairs and it's a hands down winner for the low back chairs.  Funny how even after all these years we can still learn something new, thanks to the OP for bringing this up.  I had my old standby leatherette recliner for years, sometimes I tried throws or pillows behind my head with mixed results, but using the ottoman as a chair was a revelation, fantastic imaging.  So around the house I went looking for replacements.  The office chair was too high even at it's lowest setting, my grandfather's "reverse" chair was not too bad but uncomfortable, my great-grandmother's low barrelback was perfect.  I had been looking for a place to put this and now I found it.  Get rid of your highback recliners and try a low chair.     

geowak

« Reply #27 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:02 pm »
Hey Letitroll98 I have been looking at the old Maxell ad chair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk71h2CQ_xM&feature=related

It seems that maybe Le Corbusier had it right after all??

There are a few companies that make a copy of this chair. I am using a folding chair from a card table now, so anything is an upgrade

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:39 pm »
Number one is comfort, which should go without saying...but then this hobby does strange things to people's priorities.  Second would be early reflection free...i found my dream listening chair in Ekornes.  The headrest is integrated into the chair and, when down, let's me listen without anything hitting behind my ears, etc.  But when I want to recline, etc the headrest is pulled upward and does its thing.  And the mass of the chair is not so much that any undue huge leather panels cause any issues (that would require blanketing, etc)

I'm with you Ted, I've loved my Ekornes Vegas chair more in the last 8 years than any recliner I've ever owned. Not only for it's comfort but for it functionality. For video, the headrest goes up but for audio (especially multichannel), the headrest stays down and well below my head so there's no barriers between my ears and the loudspeakers that surround me. Ekornes are not cheap but from the 30 year old chairs I looked at on Ebay, they are built to last a lifetime. My 8 year old (low processed leather) chair is just starting to get broken in.  :lol:

Atlplasma, I too have lower back issues but I was able to customize my Ekornes with upholstery stuffing to accommodate the support my lower back needs. The fact that the whole chair is modular & zippered in it's design of all the cushions really makes it easy to do.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2012, 06:23 am »
That's a pretty sweet lookin' chair.  Very "Mad Men"! :thumb:

Vint_age

« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2012, 10:30 pm »
I agree on the Ekornes. I have a bad back and these chairs are very comfortable. For serious  listening, the head rest is pushed down and for casual listening/napping the headrest is up.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2012, 04:38 am »
Hey Letitroll98 I have been looking at the old Maxell ad chair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk71h2CQ_xM&feature=related

It seems that maybe Le Corbusier had it right after all??

There are a few companies that make a copy of this chair. I am using a folding chair from a card table now, so anything is an upgrade

LC2 Petit Modele Armchair
Designed by Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret and Charlotte Perriand, produced by Cassina
$2,680.00 - $4,380.00USD

geowak

« Reply #32 on: 28 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm »
I like that chair but I don't think I am prepared to spend more on a chair than I did my tube amp!
Maybe this one...http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19903928/

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2012, 11:47 pm »
Okay then....

Le Corbusier Style LC3 Armchair in Genuine Black Leather
Retail Price: $1500.00
Sale Price: $549.00

Leather Upholstery
Stainless Steel Frame
Multi-Density Foam

http://lexmod.com/p-3545-le-corbusier-style-lc3-armchair-in-genuine-black-leather.aspx

Or at Amazon, 1 left....

Price:   $399.99

]http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Mod-Imports-Corbusier-Armchair/dp/B008UAUGTW%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIXHJPOJ5CSRGZH2A%26tag%3Dbuychecom01-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB008UAUGTW]

Or also at Amazon...

Baxton Studio Le Corbusier-Style Petite Leather Chair, Black
Price: $382.48 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Baxton-Studio-Corbusier-Style-Petite-Leather/dp/B001E6OAF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348875764&sr=8-1&keywords=le+corbusier+chair

I'm starting to think I really need this.

geowak

« Reply #34 on: 30 Sep 2012, 07:11 pm »
Well those LC2 chairs are not as expensive as this one. YOWZA!
http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Le%20Corbusier%20LC-2%20Chair%20or%20Sofa_10451_10001_48965_-1_11476_11572_44569

I think they are either out of my budget, not from a store that I can research, or just not seem to be made well? But I thank you for looking for one. Actually I settled on this one.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Axis-Black-Leather-Lounge-Chair/2616448/product.html?cid=144058&fp=F&TRACK=CSEPG&mr:referralID=7b761b08-0b32-11e2-b779-001b2166c62d

Seems to have great reviews, website gets a BBB A+ and the chair seems to be almost a LC2, but much less expensive.
I will give this a try as a Listening Chair, wish me luck!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #35 on: 2 Oct 2012, 04:32 am »
That one looks more comfortable and every bit as functional.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #36 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:36 am »
HI.
. Now I am looking for a chair, which I have been searching out for awhile now.
What do you audiophiles think about this assessment and comment...

All comments welcome

Whatever "chair" you may choose as you always sit on it. So the soundwaves will go direct to yr ears before they hit the chair.

BUT, but please do NOT put any coffee table & the like furniture in front of yr chair as such furniture will be in the way of the soundwave transmission from the loudspeakers to you, causing undue soundwave deflections.

The problem is so so so many audio fans like to put a coffee table thing in front of where they sit. An acoustical disaster!!!!

c-J

stereocilia

« Reply #37 on: 10 Oct 2012, 05:06 am »
cup your hands behind your ears.  See?  That's why a high-back chair is a non-starter.  I have an armless low-back chair from crate & barrel, but it isn't very comfortable, and the fabric is starting to fade. 
So, let's just resolve that a true audiophile only does critical listening while dancing.  Second best would probably be a Herman Miller office chair.  :)