June 13th meeting. . . .

vrao81

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jun 2004, 01:44 am »
I'd like to extend my thanks for Tim for organizing the meet, I had a really fun time with you guys. The Jambalaya was great!
As for the gear, the NHT's are amazing speakers, not a trace of brightness or fatigue and very dynamic and musical. I will seriously consider purchasing a pair of these when I get a real job and a house with a nice listening room (still a couple years away  :oops: ). I also got to listen to vinyl for the first time! Very musical, this sounds much more like real music than CD. An eye opening experience for sure.
As far as gear goes I really liked the tube amp Carl brought driving the mids/highs on the NHT's, it sounded really sweet and seductive and I liked this better than the Citation amp. I don't really have any more comments to make about the gear but I enjoyed this meet and I look forward to the next one.

Hantra

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jun 2004, 01:49 am »
I also got to listen to vinyl for the first time! Very musical, this sounds much more like real music than CD.

It should.  It's more work than actually PLAYING real music.   :lol:

Jeez I crack myself up. .

Really though, it was good to see you again V, and feel free to drop by if you're in the area. .

B

claud

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jun 2004, 01:37 pm »
Tim,
Please hang on to my shirt. Maybe we could do lunch. Call me if and when that is possible. (981-2536). A 200 wpc Classe' amp will set your NHTs free.
Guys,
 I would like to host a meeting in October or November. My present room is too small (11x13) , but child goes to college in August and I will take over his playroom. A much better venue, but I'll have to buy longer speaker cables, and Bob Crump takes forever to make and break them in. New preamp (SLP 98)is breaking in nicely, and I should have a better handle on proper 6SN7s by then. Lastly, I am a beach person from May through October, and not usually in town on weekends.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #43 on: 15 Jun 2004, 09:53 pm »
Claud,
I'll give you a call and we'll hook up.  If you're down at the beach next weekend I might see you there.

Brandon,
Clean the record and put on Coltrane, or Tim breaks out the flutophone/recorder ... yeah, THAT's a tough decision!  :wink:

Hantra

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #44 on: 16 Jun 2004, 12:01 am »
:lol:

Good point man. . .  

I think Claud would look better with the recorder anyway.  I see you with a big standup bass.   :wink:

Inscrutable

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #45 on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:11 am »
To be added to the 'What an idiot' file:

I was browsing sites looking for tube recommendations for my Rogue pre and upon downloading the manual (didn't get one when I bought it - in ANY language) saw that it is PHASE-INVERTING so we were listeming to the speakers out of phase.  Of course, as Bruno correctly pointed out to me, it is a crapshoot whether the recording engr kept absolute phase correct anyway, but the odds are that many/most did - but nonetheless I will use this as one small shred of fabric to cover my otherwise bare ass on this  :oops: .  I also moved the speakers about another foot apart, and the soundstage improved fairly significantly.

claud

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #46 on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:18 am »
Hantra, actually I played trumpet for 7.5 years and piano for three. When I was younger, folks usta say I looked like Elton John.

Carlman

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #47 on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:19 am »
Don't feel bad... I had the same thing happen to me.  I KNEW I had it right and was proven wrong by a test cd and a meter.

I think moving the speakers a bit wider would be good for your system.  You have the room... go for it! :)

-C

996turbo

wider speaker placement
« Reply #48 on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:35 am »
I would like to hear that. The main complaint I had with your system was a narrow soundstage. I thought as i was listening that that would make a huge difference. Did the Bass which was the major plus get bloated at all with the change? :?:

996turbo

How about my house?
« Reply #49 on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:38 am »
I really enjoyed meeting all you guys. Maybe Brandon and I could put together a little crawl of systems here in the furniture capitol? I am a decent cook and know a bit about good beer and would love to have you guys over. :P

Hantra

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #50 on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:49 am »
That would be kewl.  

But these are the same guys who didn't really even get excited about the prospect of meeting an industry player, and hearing some prototype gear.  So they may not be willing to drive an hour just to hear our systems. .  :wink:

996turbo

Dude
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:55 am »
I can not help that I thought maybe the thought of some beer and some good BBQ would con them into it. Maybe at the same time we could listen to some good tunes?

BrunoB

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #52 on: 16 Jun 2004, 02:53 am »
First thanks to Tim to host this nice gathering.  Tim  has a nice sound system and seems to be a very good cook too.

As usual, I will not comment much on the gear - outside my little sound cocoon, I am not very good at it. I did not hear much difference between the vinyl and the CD. Nevertheless, I had a preference for the minimax+ Ovation combination. It was smooth and well balanced. I did not like the pair of monoblocks - somehow the sound was more aggressive . I did not like my Sharp SM-SX1 either. The sound was not well balanced - too thin and not enough power. Very different from home. I am happy I brought it though - I 've learned something important about component synergy.

How do you guys define brightness? My impression was that the sound was leaning on the bright side, which I like, BTW. For comparison purpose, Carl's system was quite less bright.  The definition I found for brightness is "in audio, an excessive amount of treble that adds shrillness to the sound" (from the book "The complete guide to High-End audio").

Now the room. This was a big surprise. There is no room treatments but it did not sound bad at all :o . I wonder why: big room? magic carpet? angled wall? or all three? Very interesting.  However, I would like to suggest to place highly convoluted foam between and behind the two speakers. Yes, I know I repeat my self - but the imaging improvement is real. You'll have "ghosts" in your room.  Once the front wall is treated, the distance between the two speakers can be increased without loosing imaging and focus. No garantee, but  it works very well  for me (the distance between my speakers is 1.4 times larger than  the distance between one speaker and listening position).  Certainly worth a try.

Bruno

Inscrutable

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #53 on: 16 Jun 2004, 11:11 am »
folks usta say I looked like Elton John.
Given your beach bum status, more like you're a madman on the water  :wink:
The main complaint I had with your system was a narrow soundstage.
Characteristic of these - won't throw a real wide stage
Did the Bass which was the major plus get bloated at all with the change?
Not at all.  Fringe benefit that my image size now fits between the speakers, so I was able to lower the screen and image and eliminate the slight keystone correction I had.
Maybe Brandon and I could put together a little crawl of systems here in the furniture capitol? I am a decent cook and know a bit about good beer and would love to have you guys over.
So is it the beer or the food responsible for 'the crawl' part?  :wink:
But these are the same guys who didn't really even get excited about the prospect of meeting an industry player, and hearing some prototype gear.
Hey, I'm still up for this, and as I said if there are no other volunteers able, you're welcome back here.  I have a couple guys from work who might be coming too.
and some good BBQ
I'm sorry, but IMO this is an oxymoron in eastern NC
I did not like my Sharp SM-SX1 either. The sound was not well balanced - too thin and not enough power.
Yes, this was not a happy couple.  I'm curious if this will be the case for all digital amps? These speakers are supposed to be ruthlessly revealing, and perhaps the character of 'digital' will always come through? Or is it due to more conventional amp/speaker synergy/matching issues?
Now the room ... Certainly worth a try
Yes, as soon as I make a final decision (and implement) if I'm rotating everything 90 degrees (front stage under the angled wall).The part between the speakers probably won't work with a center channel and screen, although perhaps there is some clever way to make things movable.

claud

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #54 on: 16 Jun 2004, 12:53 pm »
Why is good BBQ an oxymoron in Eastern NC? Eastern NC has the best pork BBQ in the USA, you just don't know where to look. The top two BBQ places are in Ayden and Goldsboro. There is even good Q right out side Chapel Hill.
Please remember that there are a lot of places in NC selling "BBQ", but what they are selling is not real Q. Real BBQ is cooked with wood. Most places you go, the pork is cooked with gas or electric.

If you go near Greenville, get your map out and take the short detour to Ayden.  When you get there ask for the Skyline  or "Pete's" . When you see the cinder block building with a capital dome on it , you have arrived. No ribs, chicken or other food. Just BBQ, slaw and REAL cornbread, and soft drinks. This is the People Mag, National Geographic and James Beard award winning  BBQ.

Going through Goldsboro Inscrut ? You must stop at Wilbur's.  This is a fancy BBQ place, it has chicken and other foods.

Inscrutable

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #55 on: 16 Jun 2004, 07:43 pm »
It's just that the vinegar-based BBQ is not my cup of tea.  Texas or Memphis style more to my liking.

996turbo

June 13th meeting. . . .
« Reply #56 on: 16 Jun 2004, 07:57 pm »
I was thinking of memphis stlle ribs.

All BBQ is good they are just different