1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

TAS & Stereophile Mag-Renew or Not?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
TAS & Stereophile Mag-Renew or Not?
« on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:38 am »
So my TAS & Stereophile are coming due in the next month.  This is the first time that I've actually thought seriously about not renewing it.  I do enjoy all the nice pictures and measurements though.  The fact is though, I really don't read the reviews.  They all sound the same and it just gets boring. 

So, any of you not renewing when the time comes?

JohnR

Re: Renew or Not?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:41 am »
Are we talking about paper deliveries here? I remember a number of years ago, chucking shelves and shelves and shelves of paper magazines and journals in the recycling bin.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:45 am »
Are we talking about paper deliveries here? I remember a number of years ago, chucking shelves and shelves and shelves of paper magazines and journals in the recycling bin.
Yes, print mags mailed.  I never save them though as I don't like clutter....I try to pass them along as much as I can. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:47 am »
Poll added

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:55 am »
Yes, print mags mailed.  I never save them though as I don't like clutter....I try to pass them along as much as I can.

As far as I can tell, the cost is immaterial. I suspect that at this point in time the subscription fee's only purpose is to help cover mailing costs, with the real purpose of the print distribution being to get current ads into your home. As far as your decision goes, I think it basically comes down to whether you prefer to get print material that you then "pass along" (to who? the friendly recycling pickup truck?) or take the bold step of going totally online.

mhconley

Re: TAS & Stereophile Mag-Renew or Not?
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:44 pm »
I voted, "No."

I've had several free subscriptions to Stereophile over the years through various professional organizations but I have never paid to renew them.  I like reading them when I get them but not enough to actually pay for them.  The same is true for a number of other magazines.

The ONLY magazine I pay to renew, and have for 20+ years, is AutoWeek, mainly because they cover Formula 1.

There is simply too much free information available on anything and everything to pay for the privilege of recycling paper...

Martin

BobRex

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm »
I voted yes.  If nothing else it's cheap entertainment and good library reading (along with the golf magazines, bike mags, and Fortune.)

rbbert

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:49 pm »
Stereophile is dirt cheap and a better mag (IMHO), so renewing it is a no-brainer.  TAS I give a lot more thought to, but so far I've continued to do so.

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:51 pm »
I chose maybe. I will almost surely renew Stereophile as I value the measurements and it's dirt cheap at about USD $1/issue. My TAS renewal came up in March and I opted to let it lapse, the primary reasons being no objective data at all and cost. I know objective measurements don't seem to tell the whole story but IMO they need to at least verify the product meets the manufacturers specs, assuming they publish them.. I also find it overpriced at roughly USD $3/issue. While this isn't a lot of money, I don't see enough value in TAS to even justify that; I'm of the belief that almost all of their money comes from ads, and they should charge appropriately, akin to Stereophile.

Amusingly, TAS keeps showing up in the mail though my sub expired 5 months ago. ;)

borism

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:54 pm »
Also voted yes. They are fun to read (love the letters to the editor). At times there is even good information. Like to occasionally get away from the computer screen. Finally, the more diverse the information sources (friends, print, on-line etc.) the better informed I feel.

bummrush

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:05 pm »
For a buck or two I'm a subscriber . I mean would you just as well hope they fold? Not me.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:56 pm »
TAS will renew your subscription for the same price as Stereophile. Ya just gotta know how. :wink:

Doc

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:02 pm »
Doc,

Well spill. What is the secret?  My TAS is expiring and, for the price, I am going to wave by by (not buy buy).

TAS will renew your subscription for the same price as Stereophile. Ya just gotta know how. :wink:

Doc

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:03 pm »
At one time I was getting 12 audio magazines a month - today I don't get any. I just don't have that kind of time anymore and I can usually find a timely review on the Internet if there's something I'm interested in.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:11 pm »
I subscribe to both of them as much for the music reviews as the audio news. Love the photos of new gear, too. Plus, the writers for the two mags also try to promote our hobby and for that they deserve some kudos.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:34 pm »
  Voted yes. A nice read. Good for learning about new products. The reviews like all must be taken with a grain of salt. Would like to see more think pieces like the old Absolute Sound. Remember the issues where you wer able to see the reviewers room layout ? Or the in depth articles about design theories. I miss that.

charles

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:43 pm »
Be forewarned; if you let your Stereophile subscription lapse they will call you twice a day until you actually pick up the phone to get you to change your mind.  I speak from very recent experience.  Which tells you I voted "no".

SlushPuppy

« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2012, 04:30 pm »
Be forewarned; if you let your Stereophile subscription lapse they will call you twice a day until you actually pick up the phone to get you to change your mind.  I speak from very recent experience.  Which tells you I voted "no".

That and they'll send you a ton of junk mail  :evil:

brooklyn

« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2012, 04:39 pm »
I vote yes for Stereophile although I was ready to give up on it around a year ago due to the outrageous prices of  the equipment reviews. So I sent a comment to them and Stephen Mejias was gracious enough to print it along with his reply, they shortly kicked off the Entry Level Column.   

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 2 Aug 2012, 04:43 pm »
I did not vote.  There are two publications listed.  Does one yes and one no = maybe?  :scratch: