Help with my GIK panels.

kingdeezie

Help with my GIK panels.
« on: 5 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm »
Hey Guys,

I made a post in the acoustics circle, but I am not seeing much action, save for one person recommending I see if someone from GIK could help me.

Here is the link...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107898.0

Any help from Glenn of Bpape, or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SoCalWJS

Re: Help with my GIK panels.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:00 am »
I'd bet the GIK guys will check in shortly, but my 2 cents in the meantime.

What Saisunil said in the original thread is a good starting point.

I've got the LS-6es as well. My conclusions: Lots of corner traps. Good absorption at first reflection points and diffraction on the front wall between the speakers. Finally, a whole bunch more diffraction behind you (side and rear walls) except the rear wall first reflection which is more absorption.

YMMV.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:53 pm »
That's great news King! 

We attended a seminar about treating the room given by a guy named Anthony Grimani from Media Specialty Resources, inc.  He was advocating placement of equal amounts of diffusion to absorbsion. 

Just a thought. 

Good luck with the remodel. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:40 pm »
I'd bet the GIK guys will check in shortly, but my 2 cents in the meantime.

What Saisunil said in the original thread is a good starting point.

I've got the LS-6es as well. My conclusions: Lots of corner traps. Good absorption at first reflection points and diffraction on the front wall between the speakers. Finally, a whole bunch more diffraction behind you (side and rear walls) except the rear wall first reflection which is more absorption.

YMMV.

Clarification of the bold.

Do you mean diffraction or diffusion?

Best,
Anand.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:51 pm »
Clarification of the bold.

Do you mean diffraction or diffusion?

Best,
Anand.

:oops:

:duh:

Diffusion.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:13 pm »
I would start out with obviously the Tri Traps.  Side wall reflections are somewhat personal preference. You can either use absorption or diffusion for the reflections.  I've even had folks effectively use both (absorb the far wall reflection, diffuse the near wall reflection).  Behind the speakers in the center, personally, I prefer absorption there but again, that's a lot of preference. 

Some additional bass control benefit could be had by using some of the Monsters on their sides on the floor leaned against the wall behind/between the speakers.

I would start with some combination of the above and see how it goes before committing to where to do the rest of if something else needs to be added.

Bryan

kingdeezie

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2012, 11:16 pm »
Bryan,

Do you think I need to put bass trapping directly next to the speakers?

Also, since the speakers are line source speakers, do I need to run the acoustic panels the entirety from floor to ceiling, or would ear level during listening be sufficient?

Thanks.