Best Female Rocker

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Best Female Rocker
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:41 am »
Glad you liked it. That's one of my favorite songs of the year  :thumb:

I like it too, Pup. Have they got more tunage of that calibre or is this another Clubfoot ?

D.D.

milford3

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:42 am »
Slushpuppy.  Check out this band.  Female rocker?  You bet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6FII5Pfgg&feature=related

SlushPuppy

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:50 am »
Slushpuppy.  Check out this band.  Female rocker?  You bet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6FII5Pfgg&feature=related

Oh yeah! A rocker AND a hottie  8)

SlushPuppy

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:53 am »
I like it too, Pup. Have they got more tunage of that calibre or is this another Clubfoot ?

D.D.

David,

They just released a full album this past April. It's really good!

Amazon Link

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:58 am »

David,

They just released a full album this past April. It's really good!

Amazon Link

Sounds promising - thanks for the heads-up!

D.D.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #45 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:49 am »
Female....yes.

Rocker....yes.

Wild.....Absolutely !

R.I.P. ......Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics...

See was something else....

squirrel_nut

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:26 am »
i was just about to post Wendy O. !!  what a great set of !@*()%*^ pipes she had.
another excellent Plasmatics vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2eynNh5xHM

one that hasnt been mentioned yet, and my favorite... Exene Cervenka.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rle8KXJIW8c
they threw some great shows @Clubfoot in Austin

rockadanny

« Reply #47 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:32 pm »
Were I to pick only one current performer I would choose Beth Hart.

Other top contenders for me ...

Though from the blues circle, but can really rock your socks off: Sue Foley and Susan Tedeschi.

A terrific unknown, Yellow, from the very short-lived 90s Atlanta band, Insane Jane. If you are able, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of their release, A Green Little Pill. See/Hear her here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtuQpin-p1M&feature=related

ratso

« Reply #48 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm »
trying to think of some good ones not mentioned. how about penelope, the singer from the avengers, exene from X, and of course beth ditto from the gossip:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:22 pm »
Nina Hagen can hang.

Don_S

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:08 pm »
I guess I don't get the whole female rocker thing.  To me most of the Youtube videos posted seem like just screaming. Not music, just noise. No emotion other than possible anger.

Janis Joplin could sing.  She could scream or she could whisper and I felt something.  Maybe its just the blues.

Here is my favorite video of Janis at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.  She wows Mama Cass sitting close to the front. Both great talents gone way too soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-PwrR-tLqw&feature=related

The most recent comparison I can make to Janis is Beth Hart.  I don't care for most of her work but when she tones it down with Joe Bonamassa on their recent release Don't Explain that reaches out and grabs me.  That CD is on my very short stack and gets lots of play.

My votes:
Greatest ever: Janis
Current fave: Beth Hart

keenween

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:41 pm »
I'll give a nod to Karen O of the the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

nathanm

« Reply #52 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:55 pm »
Alia O' Brien from Blood Ceremony.  I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but she's the only female vocalist in my slimmed down  iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl7vM-eglY4

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #53 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:04 pm »
trying to think of some good ones not mentioned. how about penelope, the singer from the avengers, exene from X, and of course beth ditto from the gossip:

WTF?  :slap:

ratso

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jun 2012, 06:28 pm »
hah, that's actually a LOT of clothes for her - she is sometimes naked *gulp*. girl can really bring it though, check out their best cd "standing in the way of control". great voice. oh forgot a fave, if you like the go-go's check out the nastier version - click on youtube video for the soviettes "multiply and divide". great band. actually i'm a sucker for almost any band with a girl singer - got a million favorites.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #55 on: 28 Jun 2012, 07:58 pm »

Don_S

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jun 2012, 09:44 pm »
Any Joss Stone CD recommendations?  I watched/listened to some Youtube videos of songs I like (Joplin tribute, "You Put a Spell on Me",  etc) and really enjoyed them. Joss kicks butt live.  Then I went to look at albums on Amazon and did not find any of those songs.  The 30sec teasers on Amazon left me bored. 

+1 for Joss Stone :thumb: Powerful voice... great chops.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #57 on: 28 Jun 2012, 09:49 pm »
Janis
Grace
Chrissie
Stevie
Serena Ryder (young Canadian singer/songwriter who can really sing and rock)
Grace Potter--IMO the best of the newer female rockers

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jun 2012, 12:46 am »
Any Joss Stone CD recommendations?  I watched/listened to some Youtube videos of songs I like (Joplin tribute, "You Put a Spell on Me",  etc) and really enjoyed them. Joss kicks butt live.  Then I went to look at albums on Amazon and did not find any of those songs.  The 30sec teasers on Amazon left me bored.
I have a couple of her albums. One of them (can't recall the name) is very "pop" and blends in with many gals her age. Boring and mundane. One might be self titled, I can't recall.
However, she has an album I love. One of those bluesy albums that I'd grab if the house were on fire kinda albums, called "Soul Sessions". All the songs are covers, and she BRINGS IT. A voice well beyond her years. But I'm not sure she's a "rocker", by definition.

I'm also very fond of the Amy Lee from Evanescence. She's got a neat voice and can "scream it", without "screaming", if you know what I mean. But I need to be in a mood to listen to Evanescence. It's not everyday kind of tunes for me.

Regarding Grace Potter, she's cool. I really like here. Not sure I'd call her a rocker though. If you like Grace, do yourself a favor and check out >>THIS<<. (click the songs, "Low Road", and "Money".)
That should keep you busy for a minute. Ohh sweeet.... :D

Bob

*Scotty*

« Reply #59 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:28 am »
JoshK, Ann and Nancy Wilson= HEART,
as opposed to the other Wilson sisters, Carney and Wendy with Chynna Phillips aka
Wilson Philips.
Scotty