Down to Chicago today

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Down to Chicago today
« on: 20 Jun 2012, 02:20 pm »
Taking my wife for lunch at Cheesecake Factory and then
meeting Skylab (Rob) from Head-fi and picking up a Pioneer
SX-1250 to use as my "premium" headphone amp.   It's a beauty.

JohnR

Re: Down to Chicago today
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2012, 02:38 pm »
Not a portable rig then  :lol: ;)

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2012, 02:46 pm »
Not a portable rig then  :lol: ;)

Sure it is, with a long enough extension cord and a hand truck.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2012, 09:21 pm »
Let's just say 'Heavy Metal'.  :lol:  It sounds amazing!  I've had quite a bit of vintage stuff over the years and was a little skeptical.  I picked this up mainly because it was so nice...and well, there was Rob's recommendation. (and he's had much of the good stuff that's available at one time or another) Not only is it beautiful...there is something to be said for the ease of sound that high power provides.  It tightened up the low end on my HD650's quite a bit.

Hibuck....

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2012, 10:53 pm »
Awesome!! Hibuck are you still using HE-5LE's??

hibuckhobby

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm »
You know Ed...I just sold them along with my hifiman amp to fund the receiver.  I took them with me to the headfi gathering last weekend to hear them on various amps and decided that they were too bright for my tastes...especially with the 60's rock I often listen to that isn't recorded all that well in the first place.  OTOH...on the Halie Loren disc they were giving out at the meet, they sounded awesome.  I'm saving for HE500's or Audeze LCD-2's.  Slightly stronger bass and a bit less upper mids and highs.  Like you said...everyone likes different sounds.

best,
Bob

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2012, 12:05 am »
Cheesecake Factory?    You were within half a block of phenomenal food!  What gives??

I do hope it was a beautiful day for you weatherwise.  Downtown is amazing when the sun is shining, and when everyone else is at work & its easier to navigate the streets. 

Ever wonder why the windows on the bottom half of the Hancock Tower are mirrored whereas the ones up high aren't??   When big john was built it killed tens of thousands of birds in the first year or 2.  Lake Michigans waterfront is a major route for birds migrating, and the bldg was in their way unfortunately.  The solution was the mirrored windows so the birds would see themselves and steer out of harms way.  Birds only fly up in the air so high, which is why the mirrors are down low.

:thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2012, 12:23 am »
Gooberdude you will be glad to know that today I dined at The Valois.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2012, 12:25 am »
Cheesecake was for the better half...not me.  She's great about my
hobbies, so it pays to keep mama happy.
Hibuck....

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2012, 12:43 am »
When you want a great, intimate Italian place check out A Tavola. An unknown gem with the best gnocchi I have ever had in my life. Your wife will thank me.

gooberdude

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:02 am »
Damn roscoe, you make me so hungry   :lol:    The gnocchi at A Tavola is insane, never had anything like it before...one of my favorite date spots.  No clue how they make it so soft.

Buck, i'm just yanking your chain & totally understand.  Being a chee-caggan for so long it always pain'd me when visitors would spend good $ to get something that may also be local to them.  At least the 'factory' is in a killer location & your woman is happy. 

The Valois!!!   One of Hyde Parks finest.  Its no Rajin' Cajun tho, the buttered chicken is my favorite.    :thumb:
I'd kill to get to Bangers & Lace here soon.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:08 am »
We'll agree to disagree on Valois vs Ragin' Cajun. On the fried chicken front Harolds kills Ragin' Cajun.

And then there is Uncle John's BBQ. Best BBQ and hot links in Chicago. Way out of the way on 69th and Calumet.

Chicago's eats are truly stellar.

gooberdude

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:17 am »
For pete's sake roscoe, dont send hibuck to 69th & Calumet.  His wife won't let him attend another audio show   :lol:

I'm with you on the fried chicken, just not buttered chicken    :whip:

Buck, if you can take a stroll on the Lake Michigan bike path tonight, you won't be disappointed.  Its a beautiful night here in StL, can't imagine the big City is nasty (weatherwise)

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:24 am »
Good point. Hibuck, do not bring your wife to 69th and Calumet. I repeat, don't bring her down there. But if you are on the South Side and want to pick up some great BBQ to take to your wife, that is the place to go. Take out only.

gooberdude

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:32 am »
 :rotflmao:

HiBuck, if you're in town for lunch tomorrow, just a few blocks south of the Cheesecake Factory is a good tapas restaurant called Emilio's.  Nice outdoor seating, not too high priced, amazing veggies. 

Lookin for some unreal pizza?  Give Piquads a call.   Never had a francheezie?  Run, don't walk, to 'The Bagel' in Boystown.

Chi is a delicious city all around   

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2012, 10:33 am »
Oh man you guys are killin me-now I have to get to Chicago somehow and find these places...LOL. Thats wild about the windows and the birds. Its like mankind put a highrise right in the middle of BIRD-I95!!!!!

Thank goodness they figured it out......

hibuckhobby

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2012, 01:20 pm »
Since we're all a bit off topic now...have any of you tried "Smoque" bbq?   It's gotten quite a bit of hype since being on DD&D a couple of years ago.
Hibuck....

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2012, 01:34 pm »
Heard good things (mainly from Northsiders whose BBQ standards may be suspect) but haven't tried it yet myself.

cedman1

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2012, 02:16 pm »
Smoque is quality if your into a nice smoked brisket.  My job happens to be catering them in today for lunch.

gooberdude

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jun 2012, 05:53 am »
I have to apologize for taking this so off topic.  I'm from St Louis, lived in chicago 10 yrs after college then recently moved back to St L. 

Of all the amazing chicago food & the scene in general, why on earth can't chicago grasp combining meat + sugar?   You all stole the industry from us southerners.  Modern day E St Louis is all your fault       :lol:

Want good bbq?  come to St Louis!!   17th Street bbq is just one of many.

Smoque rocks, no doubt.  Isn't the Virgin Mary just a few blocks from there??

Anyone remember The Horseshoe?  It was on N Lincoln a while, just awesome....  Frito Pie for cryin' out loud!!   

cedman1, I envy you    :thumb: