Pioneer SP-BS21-LR $49

jeffh

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR $49
« on: 19 Jun 2012, 11:36 am »

fredgarvin

Re: Pioneer SP-BS21-LR $49
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2012, 04:00 pm »
I just ordered a pair for fun. Maybe they'll earn a spot on my desk?

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2012, 07:03 pm »
I've been looking for something inexpensive but not sucky for the garage, these should do nicely. Thanks for posting this.

jeffh

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2012, 09:03 pm »
Here is an interview with Andrew Jones who designed these speakers on the Home Theater Geeks Podcast.

http://twit.cachefly.net/video/htg/htg0112/htg0112_h264b_864x480_500.mp4

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2012, 04:45 am »
Isn't the bs41 for 99$ considered a good deal as well? The sale on that one ends today (Sunday)

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm »
Isn't the bs41 for 99$ considered a good deal as well? The sale on that one ends today (Sunday)

YES

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-loudspeaker-page-2

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2012, 04:38 pm »
The floorstander for $130 seems nice, goes down to 45hz vs 55hz for the larger bookshelf.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2012, 04:47 pm »
The floorstander for $130 seems nice, goes down to 45hz vs 55hz for the larger bookshelf.

Looking at various comments and reviews, some actually prefered the 41 bookshelf to the 51 floorstander.  Some felt it didn't have the clarity while others couldn't detect a significant increase in bass.

Because of the very low cost maybe this is one case where the solidity of the smaller bookshelf cabinet wins out over the much larger, not as well braced cabinet, despite the extra woofers?

Steve

cujobob

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2012, 07:33 pm »
What have you read regarding the two bookshelf speakers? I think all offer some value but decent $50 monitors are rare

srb

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:24 pm »
What have you read regarding the two bookshelf speakers? I think all offer some value but decent $50 monitors are rare

Not a lot in comparing to other speakers.  One guy thought the 21s sounded better than his "$40 Daytons", "$40 Sonys" and Polk R150s ($99, 5-1/4" woofer).  Not exactly ringing endorsements, so I would guess that these are more comparable to other $100 speakers, but likely not as good or better than many $200 speakers.

Some felt that the top end was a little too rolled off, making some HT dialogue a little hard to make out.

Like you say, not a lot of $50 speakers out there (with real binding posts)!  My guess is half the people who are buying them in this half-price sale are buying them because they're $50 and don't know exactly where they might use them.

I was even toying with the idea of pulling the trigger while on sale for a room where I would only be listening to them very occassionally for background music, but I'm not really expecting them to sound as good as two of my favorite small budget monitors that I also own (B&W DM302 and KEF Cresta 1, both MSRP ~$250) that go for ~$125 on the used market.

Steve

Delacroix

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2012, 11:31 pm »
Just ordered a pair to use around the house, hard to beat at $49 delivered. Not expecting Harbeth-like performance but they might work well in an office system, we'll see.

Sparky14

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2012, 01:23 am »

I've got the 5 1/4" version...they are really amazing for $99 shipped.

Head to head against my Dynaudio Focus 110 bookshelves, the Pioneers don't quite have the detail or soundstage (at <1/10th the price, I hope not). But, I have the Pioneers in my garage, where they do extremely well even without a sub.

fredgarvin

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2012, 11:16 pm »
I got  mine today and they have replaced the Michaura 55's on my desk. They have the bass response that the Michauras lacked. The tweeter may have a little less detail, but if so, not by much. They are a little recessed at about 2000hz, in comparison. They sound quite good, putting the Michauras back into surround duty. They are a little less efficient and I turned up my tripath a little and they sound good. They are out about 7" from the wall and are not boomy. Best $49 I've spent on gear.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2012, 11:33 pm »
If I lived in the states I'd be tempted to order 4 pairs and stack them for a poor man's line array. I've got a pair and I imagine that what I am hearing X4 would be pretty outstanding, especially as a "party speaker". One pair alone is surprising in terms of power handling, efficiency and bass extension for their size/price, and I gladly paid $200 Canadian for one pair (free shipping) from Pioneer in Canada.

fredgarvin

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm »
If I lived in the states I'd be tempted to order 4 pairs and stack them for a poor man's line array. I've got a pair and I imagine that what I am hearing X4 would be pretty outstanding, especially as a "party speaker". One pair alone is surprising in terms of power handling, efficiency and bass extension for their size/price, and I gladly paid $200 Canadian for one pair (free shipping) from Pioneer in Canada.

That sounds fun, I stacked a couple pair of speakers back in the day, BIC formula four and a pair of DIY that I put together with what were then nice domes by Piledriver. The bass response in those wasn't so hot, but when stacked, they kicked! Party speakers galore.

Delacroix

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:27 am »
Mine arrived (can't fault the delivery:  fast, safe, and free!). Have them sitting in a bedroom system at the moment. Quick reactions suggest that placement matters, that rear port is sensitive to boundaries which might impact some desktop users. Otherwise, there's detail, perceptible bass that is quite surprising, and soundstage. Timbre is not up there with the best but for the price, I don't imagine anything can beat these. They look ok, not great, and are solid enough but hardly bullet proof.  I suspect some further tweaking, stands, and perhaps a cable other than my home-made 12AWG might help, as they seem good enough to warrant some fussing. While I recommend them as they are for the price, you could also consider them a tool to learn how placement, upstream elements and other environmental factors impact sonics. All this for $49. What's not to like?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:18 am »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:48 am »
I got quite a nice improvement in the bass (which I found over-ripe) by stuffing the ports completely with a bundle of shortened drinking straws.

Poor man's resistive port.

I remember some manufacturer putting a speaker on the market in the 70s with this very thing done. It does work.

mgalusha

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2012, 04:16 am »
I was pleasantly surprised by these, at least in the context of sitting on top of a shelf in the garage. Better than expected and since the little internet radio I'm using has an EQ I dialed back the bass but I like Russell's idea of the straws. Haven't seen that in a while. :)

srb

Re: Pioneer SP-BS21-LR $39.99
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2012, 09:26 am »
$50 too much to plop down on that set of speakers for the Garage or Laundry Room?  Aw, come on!  How about $40?

Newegg has cut another ten bucks off of the popular minis.
Pioneer SP-BS21-LR

And if you really want to know what makes them tick, then checkout Pioneer SP-BS21-LR - measured/deconstructed/modded on the Parts Express Forum.

Steve