Going old skool - Sennheiser HD-650

JohnR

Going old skool - Sennheiser HD-650
« on: 18 Jun 2012, 09:13 am »
Well, I bought a pair. I found that a local high-end retailer is selling them for the same price I can get them in the US (even without shipping). Took my "rig" (laptop and amp) down there and had a listen, didn't take long to decide.

I was sorta going to buy them anyway, for two reasons. One is that they have a similar (measured) frequency balance to the HD-598s, which I am familiar with and like, although with more bass, but they also have much better distortion measurements. Better than almost anything else that I can find in fact. Second is that they are 300 ohms which makes a DIY tube headphone amp feasible. Third is that the cable can be replaced which means some circuits can be done that couldn't if the grounds were connected. (Yes I can't count :lol: )

I was half-expecting my USB-powered Fostex HP-A3 to be inadequate for the 300 ohm phones, but frankly I can't notice any issues at all in that regard. I worked out later that the HP-A3 should generate (from specs) about 10 mW into 300 ohms, or 112 dB from the HD-650s. For what I need/want, that's enough.

Only had them running an hour or so at home so far. In the store the bass was a bit overdone, to be honest, but this pair isn't like that - I'm assuming that will change over time. We'll see.

I did some googling for reviews since I got home. Found things like "the Sennheiser veil", "dark", "3-blob soundstage"... sorry but what are these people doing?? Maybe it's the electronics? Another theory I have is that the (sometimes huge) high-frequency peak that a lot of high-end phones have contributes what people perceive to be detail. You can look at the curves on headphone.com or innerfidelity.com to see them. I've started to think that the location and height of this peak is really what is causing different perceptions about detail, soundstage depth etc.

Anyway. I'm happy :)

JohnR

Re: Going old skool - Sennheiser HD-650
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2012, 11:56 am »
While seemingly not as comfortable as the HD-598s when putting them on, they are nothing like this:

IOW I forgot about them for the last hour or so.

Now how do I paint them white?

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2012, 01:29 pm »
l like them so well I have two pair  :icon_lol:  They "scale" very well and you can easily hear the difference between different amplifiers.  If you have an integrated amp or receiver at home with a headphone out, try it...you may be pleasantly surprised.

There is a bit of a midbass bump, but the overall tonal balance being warm just makes them more tolerable with poor recordings IMO.
Hibuck...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2012, 04:17 pm »
I had a loaner pair for awhile and thought they were very close to my HE-5LE's. My ears at least and I think thats why we read so many varied reviews sometimes, because everyone has a different ear structure in some ways that gives all of us varied listening experiences. Its like buying a color for listening, different colors are perceived differently by everyone.
 Glad you found something you like John, the headphone thing can be a lot of fun nowadays.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2012, 05:07 pm »
Very nice pick-up, John. A buddy of mine on head-fi just grabbed a pair, as well, and he loves how they offer a different sound than his Beyer DT880s and Denon AH-D7000s. He's very fond of them.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2012, 05:14 pm »
They are the headphones i would buy. The sennheisers i have had in the past (other models) seem to have a great response to them. Nice and dynamic but there was always something i didn't like about them. I had one old pair that kept falling off...lol. Those 650s are different imo than every other sennheiser i tried.

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2012, 09:26 pm »
I have the 650s and like them a lot. I haven't heard the newer super phones from Sennheiser or Audeze but I did have both the Beyer DT880s (which I also liked) and the AKG 701s (which I didn't). I also had a pair of Stax Electrostatics (forget the model) and while I liked that a lot as well, I wouldn't have given up the Sennheisers even if I could have afforded to keep both (sold the Stax 'phones and amp to free up cash for other gear).

I agree with the idea that a lot of what people call more detail in some 'phones is an excessive high frequency peak.

Enjoy them.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2012, 10:33 pm »
I have a pair of the 600s. Not only do I love the sound, they are the most comfortable over the ear phones I have used. About a year ago I bought a pair of AKG-701s after reading how comfy they were. I preferred the Senns and sold the 701s.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm »
I have questions for both rpf and timind.

rpf, I am building a headphone amp and have been thinking of either Senn 600s or one of the hi-impedance versions of the DT880 and was wondering how you would describe the differences between the 650s and  the 880s. I used to have 580s so I am fairly familiar with the Sennheiser sound and am leaning towards those.

timind, pretty much the same question, how would you describe the 600s vs the 701s?

JP78

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2012, 12:57 am »
John, I also have a pair of 650s and 600s, and at some point owned the 580s.

I've found that a dedicated headphone amp may not be hugely necessary.

In my experience (and for my system), I have found a good quality tubed DAC with low impedance output to be a magnitude of larger improvement versus a dedicated can amp.

Speaking of old-school, I run my 650 with a CAL Alpha fed by my computer. Easy, breezy, beautiful music.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2012, 01:21 am »
So have any of you guys compared the 650s to the new HD700s or the HD800s?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2012, 01:24 am »
600's here as well. Very comfortable as timind mentioned. I don't know about "dark" but certainly not "bright"-sounding. To me, a bit tilted towards the low end but still enjoyable enough to not make replacing them a priority. Actually preferred them to the 650's at the time... now, who knows?
Curious about the 800's now that I have a good head amp for the first time but not that curious... :green:

D.D.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2012, 01:30 am »

rpf, I am building a headphone amp and have been thinking of either Senn 600s or one of the hi-impedance versions of the DT880 and was wondering how you would describe the differences between the 650s and  the 880s. I used to have 580s so I am fairly familiar with the Sennheiser sound and am leaning towards those.

timind, pretty much the same question, how would you describe the 600s vs the 701s?

For starters, both are comfortable with the nod going to the 600s.
As for sound, I feel the 600s give a more natural presentation, nothing exaggerated. The 701s seemed to be trying too hard, forced themselves on the music with a punchier presentation. You might prefer that sound but it kind of wore on me.

rpf

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2012, 02:55 am »

It's been a good while since I had the other headphones.

I do agree with timind that the 701s are very punchy, and seem to be "trying too hard". Forward and not balanced in their frequency response. They are one of those 'phones that I would describe as being spot lit or peaky in the upper frequencies.

The DT880s were very balanced and enjoyable. IIRC, I just found the 650s to be more open and "spacious" sounding.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2012, 09:26 am »
In my experience (and for my system), I have found a good quality tubed DAC with low impedance output to be a magnitude of larger improvement versus a dedicated can amp.

Speaking of old-school, I run my 650 with a CAL Alpha fed by my computer. Easy, breezy, beautiful music.

You connect the DAC directly to the headphones? I actually have a CAL alpha sitting on a shelf, it had some "issues" but I wonder if it still works...

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2012, 09:31 am »
Interesting that the HD600s is still available as an option.

BTW does anyone know where you can buy the connectors? I want to try making some cables.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2012, 09:37 am »
Oh. Found connectors at parts connexion  :duh:

boynamedsue

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2012, 05:07 am »
So have any of you guys compared the 650s to the new HD700s or the HD800s?

My experience with the hd800s at meets is that it has larger soundstage that is a placed a bit forward with greater detail and treble emphasis compared to the hd650s. i own the hd650s and love its silky smooth mids and bass impact. the hd650s also scale well with better amps. i amp mine with earmax tube amp.

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2012, 03:04 pm »
I've been having a great time with these the last couple of days. I get the "3-blob soundstage" thing now. I haven't gotten around to comparing directly with the HD598 but I understand that there is something to do with orientation of the driver. Well, you can't have everything. But, the clarity, tone, layering, and just general oozy goodness of the 650 has me hooked. Not for everything though, rockers look elsewhere.

saisunil

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2012, 03:45 pm »
A while ago I did a headphone shoot-out / review ... here's the link ...

http://stereomojo.com/FiveHeadphoneShootout/5HeadphoneShootout.htm

The 701's were my favorite of the bunch - just remember that AKG's and Senns were both recabled ... Gary Dodd has my 701's on a long term loan  :lol: - he thinks these are the best headphones he has ever heard ...

More audiophiles tend to gravitate towards Senn 600 (again re-cabled) for their neutral character compared to Senn 650's lush - but it is such a preference thing ...

Regardless of the phones (Grados can be an exception here as they are tuned with their own cable) they all benefit from a good after market cable ...

I highly recommend that you buy a used one at good price (40% off ???) instead of rolling your own ... as these cables are neither interconnects nor speaker cables or should are they they are a little bit of both ...

I have not been able to "get" the beyer sound - all the way up to T1

For me Senn 800 and a few notches above Senn 600/650 ...

The headphone thing is such a personal thing - the higher up the ranks you go - the cost multiplies as the amp requirements also go up in terms of system matching, resolution etc.

Bottom-line - don't mess with it, if you enjoying your rig  :thumb:

Cheers
Sunil.