Beyerdynamic DT1350: King of All Portables?

ajzepp

Beyerdynamic DT1350: King of All Portables?
« on: 9 Jun 2012, 07:03 am »
I was reluctant to start a new thread about this, but I really just need to share these thoughts. I've had a total blast with this side of the hobby over the last several months. I've discovered a love for Grados, I've had the opportunity to pick up a true reference phone in the Beyerdynamic T1, and I've been able to really have fun with things like the ZO2, the AudioEngine D1 DAC/Amp, and both my Meier and Little Dot amps. Like anyone else, I get excited when I get new gear, but I try to avoid fanboy behavior and the "whatever is latest is greatest" approach. But my newest pair of headphones, the Beyer DT1350 portables, are so incredibly good that I just had to talk about them with you guys.

I've mentioned here previously that my initial approach was to purchase some of the sub-$100 offerings from a few of the companies I was most interested in, and then once I got a feel for their sound signatures I've venture into higher end gear. Well, most of those less expensive phones were portables. I enjoyed my time with each of them, but clearly preferred the more in-home type headphones that were less portable. Well I saw some reviews on the DT1350s and figured maybe I'd give them a chance since it would really be nice to have a more capable portable pair for work and when I'm out and about. Well to make a long story short, these things have FAR surpassed any and all expectation.

I saw someone mention that when you upgrade to the paid version of Pandora, the streaming quality is improved. So I did exactly that, and for the last week or two I've been using Pandora as my main source for portable tunes with the 1350s. I typically will use either my iPhone or my laptop, and I cannot stress to you guys enough just how blown away I am with the sound. Right now I am listening to my DeadMau5 channel on Pandora, which is mostly dance/club type music, and the barrage of musicality is just overwhelming! I'm not much of a bass head, but the low end on these portables is absolutely incredible!

If anyone is looking for a fantastic pair of portable headphones, I cannot endorse these enough.  :thumb:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Beyerdynamic DT1350: King of All Portables?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2012, 12:58 pm »
Sounds like you're enjoying the Beyer "house sound".  I hope to be able to audition a few cans at ChiUniFi in a week or so.
best,
Hibuck....

slwiser

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2012, 01:40 pm »
 :thumb: Very good listen and I am using the HD25 velour pads with mine.  It tones down the bass for me a little allowing the mids to come a bit more to the front for me.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2012, 05:56 pm »
Sounds like you're enjoying the Beyer "house sound".  I hope to be able to audition a few cans at ChiUniFi in a week or so.
best,
Hibuck....

I hope you'll post back with impressions of whatever interesting phones you get to listen to  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2012, 05:58 pm »
:thumb: Very good listen and I am using the HD25 velour pads with mine.  It tones down the bass for me a little allowing the mids to come a bit more to the front for me.

Very nice :)  I want to try those new Sennheiser Amperiors to see if they can compete with the 1350s. I just can't believe I'm getting this sort of audio quality and I haven't even hooked them up to my main rig yet. Who knew the iPhone could sound this good?  :lol:

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2012, 06:04 pm »
I will check into these cans Zepp.  By the way Zepp, your Avatar is  for DeVore speakers which are made in Brooklyn NY.  Very good speakers.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2012, 07:58 pm »
I will check into these cans Zepp.  By the way Zepp, your Avatar is  for DeVore speakers which are made in Brooklyn NY.  Very good speakers.

As much as you like your Beyerdynamic cans, Milford, I can guarantee you you'd love the 1350s...

And I totally agree about the DeVores. John is a great guy and he builds fantastic speakers. I loved my time with the Super 8s I had for about three years, and sooner or later I'll own them again. Maggies are my first love but I really want to own another pair of John's excellent speakers again sometime in the near future. And as you mentioned, people like myself who take pride in owning great American made gear can really be proud having DeVores in house.  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2012, 08:04 pm »
...the 1350's look very cool too which is a + in my book for sure....enjoy zepp!!!! :thumb:

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2012, 08:25 pm »
The 1350's are rated @ 80 Ohms.  How will they sound with the Schiit Valhalla?  I'm thinking portable greatness with home greatness!  God I love this hobby.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm »
The 1350's are rated @ 80 Ohms.  How will they sound with the Schiit Valhalla?  I'm thinking portable greatness with home greatness!  God I love this hobby.

hehe, I know, isn't this fun?  :lol:

I should have time later tonight to hook up the 1350s to my Meier amp...I'll let you know if they scale at all. The thing that shocked me is that with my ZO2 amp, I usually can't get quite enough volume with my 32 ohm Grados...but the 1350s sound GREAT with it. I had pretty much planned to just use IEMs with the ZO, but now I can use a pair of headphones with it, as well. I feel like I now have a smaller, portable version of my T1s. They sound closer to the T1s than they do the DT880s, to my ears. I'm pretty fond of that Tesla driver. I won't give up my Grado PS500s for anything at this point, but I truly think I like the 1350s a tad better than my Grado 325s...I can't believe I'm saying that, but I just really am smitten. Beyer must have learned a ton from the t50p or whatever that model was, and they corrected any issues with the 1350s. I don't WANT to give up my other gear, but if I HAD to live with just one headphone, I could easily be very happy with these mini-Beyers.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2012, 10:16 pm »
...the 1350's look very cool too which is a + in my book for sure....enjoy zepp!!!! :thumb:

Thanks Brother Ed :)  They come with a very nice little case for portability which is just as nice looking as the headphones. And even though they're not as comfortable as the T1s or the DT880s (what is?), I find them still quite comfy and able to stay on my head for quite a while. My ears stay nice and cool, which is a big thing with me since those darn Sennheiser 518s that made me sweat like a stuck pig

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2012, 10:48 pm »
I hope you'll post back with impressions of whatever interesting phones you get to listen to  :thumb:

You can count on it.  I probably won't get any pics up though.  I like my DT990, 600 ohm phones a lot...but do prefer to eq the bass down a bit and take down that peak at about 8-10k.  Very comfortable and big soundstage.
best...
Hibuck....

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2012, 03:51 am »
You can count on it.  I probably won't get any pics up though.  I like my DT990, 600 ohm phones a lot...but do prefer to eq the bass down a bit and take down that peak at about 8-10k.  Very comfortable and big soundstage.
best...
Hibuck....

Plus those 990s are comfortable as hell, aren't they? Above all else, as much as I love the Beyer sound, their comfort is what really appeals to me most. Those velour pads are wonderful :)

wushuliu

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2012, 04:27 am »
I was reluctant to start a new thread about this, but I really just need to share these thoughts. I've had a total blast with this side of the hobby over the last several months. I've discovered a love for Grados, I've had the opportunity to pick up a true reference phone in the Beyerdynamic T1, and I've been able to really have fun with things like the ZO2, the AudioEngine D1 DAC/Amp, and both my Meier and Little Dot amps. Like anyone else, I get excited when I get new gear, but I try to avoid fanboy behavior and the "whatever is latest is greatest" approach. But my newest pair of headphones, the Beyer DT1350 portables, are so incredibly good that I just had to talk about them with you guys.

I've mentioned here previously that my initial approach was to purchase some of the sub-$100 offerings from a few of the companies I was most interested in, and then once I got a feel for their sound signatures I've venture into higher end gear. Well, most of those less expensive phones were portables. I enjoyed my time with each of them, but clearly preferred the more in-home type headphones that were less portable. Well I saw some reviews on the DT1350s and figured maybe I'd give them a chance since it would really be nice to have a more capable portable pair for work and when I'm out and about. Well to make a long story short, these things have FAR surpassed any and all expectation.

I saw someone mention that when you upgrade to the paid version of Pandora, the streaming quality is improved. So I did exactly that, and for the last week or two I've been using Pandora as my main source for portable tunes with the 1350s. I typically will use either my iPhone or my laptop, and I cannot stress to you guys enough just how blown away I am with the sound. Right now I am listening to my DeadMau5 channel on Pandora, which is mostly dance/club type music, and the barrage of musicality is just overwhelming! I'm not much of a bass head, but the low end on these portables is absolutely incredible!

If anyone is looking for a fantastic pair of portable headphones, I cannot endorse these enough.  :thumb:

Is there a specific reason to use Pandora? Cause MOG is 320k only (with some titles at 256k) and has the best sound quality of the current streaming players. Great interface as well. Pandora tops out at 192.

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2012, 05:56 am »
Is there a specific reason to use Pandora? Cause MOG is 320k only (with some titles at 256k) and has the best sound quality of the current streaming players. Great interface as well. Pandora tops out at 192.

Tell me more! What the heck is MOG?

EDIT: I found it...very cool! Little pricey if you want to use it with iPhone, but looks like it's probably worth it. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT 2: I'm going to sign up for the Primo version and give it a try....what is this "unlimited downloads" thing? Does that mean I can download them to my library for as long as I'm using the service, and then once I cancel it it goes *poof*?

EDIT 3: This MOG app is unreal.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2012, 02:57 pm by ajzepp »

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2012, 04:58 pm »
Tell me more! What the heck is MOG?

EDIT: I found it...very cool! Little pricey if you want to use it with iPhone, but looks like it's probably worth it. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT 2: I'm going to sign up for the Primo version and give it a try....what is this "unlimited downloads" thing? Does that mean I can download them to my library for as long as I'm using the service, and then once I cancel it it goes *poof*?

EDIT 3: This MOG app is unreal.

:D

guest1632

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2012, 09:34 am »

Hi, Well, could you tell me a bit about them, like are they over the ear, in the ear, like ear buds, ETC.

Ray Bronk

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2012, 08:51 pm »
Hi Ray...they are supra-aural portables. Their sonics are closer to being mini-T1s than they are the DT880s, which I had previously. Their sound stage is average-to-good, the overall signature is relatively neutral, and the low end is just amazing for a portable. Comfort is about a B+ for me, as my ears stay nice and cool and the metal headband provides just the right amount of clamp. They are closed cans and the isolation is very good. These are the best headphones I own in the $300 price range, just slightly beating out my Grado 325s, which I also love. Dollar for dollar, I consider the 1350s better than the T1s.

slwiser

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2012, 09:29 pm »
Listening to them balanced out my my ALO Rx Mk3 the soundstage and imaging is better and they project like a larger headphone. 

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm »
Listening to them balanced out my my ALO Rx Mk3 the soundstage and imaging is better and they project like a larger headphone.

Nice...I haven't even heard them with a quality amp yet lol. I never thought I'd put a portable headphone above my beloved Grado 325s, but I can't help it. I'm addicted to these things and I love their versatility. I never expected a headphone to sound this good directly from my iPhone and laptop, let alone one that I could take anywhere I go. Can't wait to hook them up to my Meier amp just to see how they scale. Based on your post, sounds like there is even more to be had out of these little guys. And you're exactly right, they sound very much like a full size headphone. Beyer got it right with these things.