Linked Events

• AXPONA 2013 - Chicago: 8 Mar 2013 - 10 Mar 2013

AXPONA 2013 - Chicago

Art_Chicago

Re: AXPONA 2013 - Chicago
« Reply #100 on: 11 Mar 2013, 02:46 pm »
Couple other rooms that i liked a lot:

Audio Note: I heard only classical music there, but it was great-- dynamic and relaxing at the same time. Maybe not the most detailed sound, but very enjoyable. The speakers are fairly inexpensive, as I understand, but not sure about the front end.

Kyomi audio: Verity monitors ($30K) and CAT tube amps fed by master tapes/CD. A violin recording (Andrew Manze) was simply awesome.

Did not spend much time in the Legacy room, unfortunately, as they were playing a country track with a very nasal sound, that pushed me away from the room in a minute.  :D

martyo

« Reply #101 on: 11 Mar 2013, 02:57 pm »
well, maybe "disappointing" is too strong, but to me the speakers shown yesterday (not sure what model and price) did not have that ultimate transparency and resolution as some planar speakers do, or Soundscape 8, for example.

It is very subjective. Many fine sounding rooms with very different flavors. What music they are playing during the visit. And we don't all hear alike.  8)

dminches

« Reply #102 on: 11 Mar 2013, 02:57 pm »
:o Those cabinets were not resonating. There may of been a room resonants --I heard it on a selection as well-- but it was NOT the extensively braced solid hardwood speakers resonating.

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the room that had a HVAC unit on the roof that was causes a low level hum.  This was not coming from the system at all. When everything was turned off you could hear it very loudly.

jackman

« Reply #103 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:00 pm »
I agree with Ted!   After the first day, I was about to tell an acquaintance about a room I thought sounded really bad, when he recommended that I check it out because be thought it was the best room!  It happened more than once.  Another friend hated the room with the large horn speakers (on the Mez level) and I know several people who loved that room.  It's amazing and enlightening to see such different opinions of the same systems.

The Orion room did not impress me either time I visited but so many people love those speakers.  I really disliked the Janzen room but was not in the sweet spot and I understand those speakers may have limited dispersion, which may explain my reaction. 

Roscoe and I hit the Holm audio room the first day. They had those large (beautiful looking) Sony speakers.  The overall sound did not impress me.  They were thin on top and muddy on the bottom with very little deep bass.  The younger brothers of these speakers in the Mytek room were among my favorites of the entire show. 

I think I hit every room except the TAD room.  They were closed due to the fire alarm when I tried to visit and they were not playing music another time I tried to visit.

It was great to see some diversity at the show. I did not know there was a large contingent of African American audiophiles in Chicago.   There were even some young people but not enough.  This hobby needs more young people if its going to stay alive. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #104 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:56 pm »
If my memory serves me correctly, this is the room that had a HVAC unit on the roof that was causes a low level hum.  This was not coming from the system at all. When everything was turned off you could hear it very loudly.

Yes, that is correct, they pointed this out as they were demoing, and were clearly not psyched about that HVAC sound.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #105 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:21 pm »
What a great show!  Honestly that was the most enjoyable show experience I've had yet, and am already looking forward to next year.  Fantastic bunch of people, had a lot of really fun conversations ... lots of smart guys asking good questions and providing their own well thought out input. 

Regarding overall show sound quality, I'd say this was the best sounding show I've been to as well.  The rooms were decent size, and very well insulated.  I was amazed that with 747's buzzing right overheard, we didn't hear a peep except for the time we cracked a window to cool the room off.  I think ATS Acoustics providing so many rooms with treatments went a long way to improving the overall show sound, and certainly made it more enjoyable for the attendees.  I don't think I heard a single bad sounding room, everything ranged from good to fantastic. 

I imagine Steve and the other show organizers are going to be under a lot of pressure to expand for next year, but hopefully they don't get too big. 

Dr.Cmnsky

« Reply #106 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:22 pm »
Does anyone have pics? Interested in AJ's room

jriggy

« Reply #107 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:27 pm »

So thats what that was! I could eventually tell it was not in the room but never asked.

quietglow

« Reply #108 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:03 pm »
So thats what that was! I could eventually tell it was not in the room but never asked.

They actually turned off the sound (sort of in the middle of a nice passage too -- so we could share their pain maybe) to demonstrate the nasty hum.

That was my first audio show and I really had a fantastic time. Sunday was better than Saturday for me. It could have been the smaller crowd or the rooms we picked, but it also could have been the lack of the Belgian beer inspired hangover I had on Saturday.

The highlight of the show for me might have been the very last room I visited: the floor standing TAD speakers and the ridiculous table (piano finished plinth) playing the new 45rpm version of Larry Young's Unity. I felt lucky to be present for that.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #109 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:27 pm »
Does anyone have pics? Interested in AJ's room

I have one terrible one.

Computer audio. Nuforce dac > Power Modules (Belles) integrated > M2s. MG Audio line/speaker cabling.
Once again, great show (well, except for the fire alarm thing) and thanks again for all who stopped in.
And yes, that is a halo hanging over my speakers, invisible to the naked eye/attendees, but the true secret as to why they sound the way they do.

cheers,

AJ

neekomax

« Reply #110 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:40 pm »
I have one terrible one.

You are correct, AJ. That is one terrible picture.  :lol:

roscoeiii

« Reply #111 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:56 pm »
You are correct, AJ. That is one terrible picture.  :lol:

Except for the halos...

ratso

« Reply #112 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:13 pm »
as a lifelong chicagoan i feel obligated to give a mini - report on the show. i went all three days and it was a blast, great job overall to the axpona guys. some quick thoughts and advice:

1. shut up. seriously. you will sell a lot more gear by just playing music than playing 30 seconds of a song and then spending 4 minutes rambling on about something NO ONE wants to hear you talk about. if we have questions or want info we will find you, trust me.
2. the reason why no one wants to play your cd/thumbdrive/music file is because it's friggin terrible. some guy played a cd that i'm pretty sure was recorded in his basement with him singing with an accoustic guitar. death was not an option.
3. your system would sound a lot better if you didn't all play breathy jazz singers and piano recitals. the reason that the soundfield room kicked so much butt is because they were playing dynamic music at fairly loud levels. i personally would not buy a speaker if all i ever heard from it was diana krall whispering something in the background.
4. anyone that makes cd players had better find a new job quick. i think it was a requirement for all vendors to have an oppo playing (even into bazillion dollar systems).
5. for my money, jim salk is still the nicest guy in this biz. good speakers too.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2013, 02:37 pm by ratso »

Art_Chicago

« Reply #113 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:21 pm »
as a lifelong chicagoan i feel obligated to give a mini - report on the show. i went all three days and it was a blast, great job overall to the axpona guys. some quick thoughts and advise:

1. shut up. seriously. you will sell a lot more gear by just playing music than playing 30 seconds of a song and then spending 4 minutes rambling on about something NO ONE wants to hear you talk about. if we have questions or want info we will find you, trust me.
2. the reason why no one wants to play your cd/thumbdrive/music file is because it's friggin terrible. some guy played a cd that i'm pretty sure was recorded in his basement with him singing with an accoustic guitar. death was not an option.
3. your system would sound a lot better if you didn't all play breathy jazz singers and piano recitals. the reason that the soundfield room kicked so much butt is because they were playing dynamic music at fairly loud levels. i personally would not buy a speaker if all i ever heard from it was diana krall whispering something in the background.
4. anyone that makes cd players had better find a new job quick. i think it was a requirement for all vendors to have an oppo playing (even into bazillion dollar systems).
5. for my money, jim salk is still the nicest guy in this biz. good speakers too.  :thumb:

agreed 100%

neekomax

« Reply #114 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:23 pm »
as a lifelong chicagoan i feel obligated to give a mini - report on the show. i went all three days and it was a blast, great job overall to the axpona guys. some quick thoughts and advise:

Funny shit, bro. Let's go get a beer sometime next time I'm in Chicago, would love to hear your take on things. Breath of fresh air.

jhm731

« Reply #115 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:26 pm »

martyo

« Reply #116 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:45 pm »

There was quite a bit of that.

your system would sound a lot better if you didn't all play breathy jazz singers and piano recitals. the reason that the soundfield room kicked so much butt is because they were playing dynamic music at fairly loud levels. i personally would not buy a speaker if all i ever heard from it was diana krall whispering something in the background.

In one of the rooms they asked what concert we wanted to hear because they had 'em all in their server. We asked for the DEAD, mostly as a joke not thinking they would have any Dead shows and they didn't, so he put on Diana Krall.  :lol:

mr_bill

« Reply #117 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:38 pm »

I love it!

Were a lot of them using the new Oppo player?  (serious question)

charmerci

« Reply #118 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:46 pm »
There was quite a bit of that.

In one of the rooms they asked what concert we wanted to hear because they had 'em all in their server. We asked for the DEAD, mostly as a joke not thinking they would have any Dead shows and they didn't, so he put on Diana Krall.  :lol:

That's funny.

Next time though, ask for the Bill Evans' Waltz For Debby album. Even though it was recorded in June '61, the sound is incredible.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #119 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:52 pm »
I'll add my comments about the show...

Before my comments I have a story to tell.  I brought my girlfriend along in hopes of having her appreciate music reproduction more deeply than her Sonos setup can allow. Boy, did this idea backfire in the worst way.  :duh:  This wasn't her first audio show.  She attended RMAF with me last October.  She was not scared away by the the idiosyncratic people - I'm an engineer (enough said) - or the lack of young women present at the show.  What prevented her from fully grasping how incredible music reproduction can be was the overwhelming size and the amount of things to see at RMAF, especially for an introduction into non-Sonos systems. AXPONA 2013 was her round 2 and my final round in the (audio) ring with her.

One of the first rooms we visited was the Volti Audio room.  This is one of those rooms where it's best to be left alone with the designer, the speakers and nothing else.  Mr. Roberts selected a few tracks to play for us which I loved.  I wanted to see the speakers as much as I wanted to hear them but that is besides the point.  On my way out of the seat I tapped my girlfriend on the shoulder to exit the room.  I hadn't realized, at that time, she was close to falling asleep.  If you guys know anything about these Volti speakers you know they aren't played at low listening levels.  She was enjoying the music so much she collapsed under the sonic nirvana.   :thumb:  She was getting it; how music can sound so good.  Things started off great!

Fast forward to Saturday we were given special treatment in the Sonus Faber room.  She commented on how pretty their speakers were on Friday and one of the representatives from Sumiko (in the Sonus Faber room) overheard her.  Before this, all speakers were ugly.  :evil:  When he saw us walk in he immediately pulled two seats from the Amati demo so we could hear (and see) the Venere Model 3.0.  I was embarrassed and apologetic to the folks who were enjoying their demo.  Anyway, it was explained to us that the speakers could come in white (speakers have to be in white) and in under 2 weeks.  Oh crap!  She was SOLD.   :nono:  Just like that.  She was ready to build her own music system in our house we haven't even moved into yet.  I have to tell you guys these speakers sounded wonderful.  They had room to breathe but nonetheless sounded, and looked, great.     
http://www.sumikoaudio.net/sonus/prod_venere_30.htm

If you are still reading this you are most likely wondering what my fuss is.  Well, I was taking my time to create my own dream system and she wants me to give her what I have accumulated over the years to support her FUN room.  This is my hobby dear  :roll:  I had to explain to her that one does not just unbox a speaker and have it sound magical.  I tried to explain how other factors come into play regarding electronics, how you will listen, and how the money doesn't stop there.  She wants to hide the amplifier behind the couch.  How will you turn it on, I asked?  She can't sit still so big speakers aren't necessarily a good thing when you are two rooms away.  That's what Sonos is for my lovely friend.  I had to spend the rest of Saturday talking her out of her purchase and back into letting me have mine.  There isn't room both of us in our house  :P

Moving on...kudos to a great show!  I felt I saw more rooms using acoustic treatment than the last RMAF.  It seems more and more is going into the rooms to produce good sound.  The imaging was much improved, in general, than the shows I have been to in the past.

I have a few highlights from the show.  The first was the Scaena room.  My girlfriend is part Indian which is AWESOME.  She hit it off with the designer/builder/owner of Scaena who is part Indian himself.  He kindly let us play our test CD which was snippets of nine different songs.  Once you get past how luxurious (or not luxurious) you think the speakers are they sound beautiful.  That was a fun room to spend time in.

Another one of our favorite rooms was Bogdan Audio Creations.  Mr. Petrescu was very friendly to us and say how my eyes lit up when I got to see his Petra loudspeakers in person.  I wanted to hug them :bowdown:  My girlfriend thought they looked like water heaters, but that's OK, it was her idea to hear them a second time on Saturday.  Mr. Petrescu took our test CD to demo the tracks on the Petras.  After hearing all of the tracks it occurred to me that I have never, in my life, heard speakers disappear like that.  He then offered to let us audition the Catalinas using the same demo disc.  These speakers were equally as wonderful sounding as the Petras.  The two speakers sounded different but the music sounded to good to spend time correlating what I was hearing with my thoughts.  The Petras may have loaded the room with too much bass but I loved that about them.  The Catalinas did not have the low frequency reach of the Petras but it certainly didn't leave me un-enthralled.  These two speakers were the best I have heard the RAAL tweeter sound, ever.  I think the 140-15D version is slightly better than the smaller version and that's why I use them in my own personal speakers. 

I'll repeat what many others have, and will continue to say, the Salk, Selah, and Vapor rooms never disappoint.  I have witnessed Jim's speakers over a dozen times and they just get prettier and prettier.  The Soundscapes are the real deal.  They always sound spectacular without providing a single, powerful word that can describe their sound.  Sometimes I read how a speaker can be sterile, or thick, milky, lush, etc.  There is none of that for these.  They just always sound like Salk; they just play music!  8) 

I got to hear one of Rick's line arrays and his Tempesta.  I remember the arrays sounded sweet and delicate.  I wasn't expecting that kind of softness to the music.  After hearing these I became much more intrigued with this line of Rick's offerings.  My girlfriend thought they were pretty as well.  :green:

That leads me to the Tempesta which is like an iPad compared a 10 year old computer.  So much freakin' performance in a small package.  Rick, fascinating work sir.  If I didn't have my heart set on replacing my speakers with a set of floorstanders, with the 140-15D, I would be in the market for a pair of these.

For the last two shows the Vapor Audio room has been my favorite to visit.  I'd run the room if they let me.  I love the cabinetry design/concepts and I am particular to the RAAL and AudioTechnology drivers (Accutons are catching up).  I am biased, I will admit that.  I wish I had spent more time in the room during my two visits at the show.  The music playing left me desiring more of what I heard at RMAF.  I should have waited until I had a chance to pop in my demo disc.  The imaging was spectacular for as close as I felt I was sitting.  The Cirrus reminds of a super car.  They have the unique styling and performance for only those who dare (maybe I am over-compensating for something).  They are fun to drive with so much in reserve a race track is required.  Ryan is creating an audio company with a speaker for every range or listener.  I want his super car.  This Cirrus speakers are my Audi R8.  At some point, they will be affordable for my situation.  The Joules, I heard at RMAF, are the Lamborghinis in my world.   :thumb:

Another notable performer was the Waterfall Audio Victoria Evo speakers.  These diminutive speakers produced a rather large, detailed sound I wasn't expecting.  These were also good looking enough to put in the house. 

Next time I hope the Seaton guys get themselves a bigger room.  They did not begin to show off what I know their stuff is capable of in that hotel room. 

I did not think the Madisound room sounded good.  I think the Seas A26 was playing.  It did not sound anything like I expected it to. 

I've learned that it's hard for a speaker to sound great unless you get time to spend with it.  Many of the rooms don't leave a lasting memory with me because I didn't get a good listening spot or I am too unfamiliar with the music playing.  Sorry for the long write-up and I hope it was worth the time reading.