Linked Events

• AXPONA 2013 - Chicago: 8 Mar 2013 - 10 Mar 2013

AXPONA 2013 - Chicago

dminches

Re: AXPONA 2013 - Chicago
« Reply #120 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:56 pm »
Were a lot of them using the new Oppo player?  (serious question)

Most of them were using BDP-95s, not 105s.

neekomax

« Reply #121 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:56 pm »
That's funny.

Next time though, ask for the Bill Evans' Waltz For Debby album. Even though it was recording in June '61, the sound is incredible.

Hey, thanks for the tip, listening now, great stuff!  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #122 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:06 pm »

Fast forward to Saturday we were given special treatment in the Sonus Faber room.  She commented on how pretty their speakers were on Friday and one of the representatives from Sumiko (in the Sonus Faber room) overheard her.  Before this, all speakers were ugly.  :evil:  When he saw us walk in he immediately pulled two seats from the Amati demo so we could hear (and see) the Venere Model 3.0.  I was embarrassed and apologetic to the folks who were enjoying their demo.  Anyway, it was explained to us that the speakers could come in white (speakers have to be in white) and in under 2 weeks.  Oh crap!  She was SOLD.   :nono:  Just like that.  She was ready to build her own music system in our house we haven't even moved into yet.  I have to tell you guys these speakers sounded wonderful.  They had room to breathe but nonetheless sounded, and looked, great.     
http://www.sumikoaudio.net/sonus/prod_venere_30.htm

I was sitting right behind you during all of this.  Hilarious!  I wish i knew it was you!!   :D

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #123 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:12 pm »
I was sitting right behind you during all of this.  Hilarious!  I wish i knew it was you!!   :D

Damn, I would have loved to meet you sir.  I am wicked sorry for interrupting the demo.  I was not expecting the music to halt like that.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #124 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:14 pm »
Damn, I would have loved to meet you sir.  I am wicked sorry for interrupting the demo.  I was not expecting the music to halt like that.

Not an issue.  I got a good impression, regardless, then we moved (90 degrees) to the larger Sonus presentation anyway.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #125 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:20 pm »
Could you see the terror on my face when she TOLD me we were buying them? :o

I hope you enjoyed the show as much as we did.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #126 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:24 pm »
It looked like she could TELL you that you were buying the TAD Ref Ones and you'd do it.  :) 

dminches

« Reply #127 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:41 pm »
It thought the Classic Audio speakers sounded very nice.  I was thinking I could bring them home and tell my wife "just for you I will place them in the corner."

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #128 on: 11 Mar 2013, 09:02 pm »
It looked like she could TELL you that you were buying the TAD Ref Ones and you'd do it.  :)

Haha!   :icon_lol:  I am too cheap and she knows it. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #129 on: 11 Mar 2013, 10:54 pm »
Enjoyed the show. Pretty laid back atmosphere. I attended with my brother and we don't always agree but sure did Saturday. Didn't hit the MBL or Hartsfield/Atma-Sphere room.

Specifically wanted to hear the Legacy, Von Schweikert, Tyler, Daedalus, and of course AVA/SALKrooms, and a few, Vapor, HAL, and Mytec just because of the chatter on AC. The Legacy room was our favorite. Von Schweikerts sounded excellent, totally agree with roscoeiii. Would have liked to hear the Tyler's with a good digital source. The atmosphere of the Daedalus/Purity room was very warm and relaxing. Beautiful speakers, we both thought we could hear low end cabinet resonances. The Acoustic Zen had wonderful depth but not much image in that setup. The Vapor Cirrus were nice looking but didn't do it for us, especially the lean low end. The Mytec folks were very nice and informative (actually, pretty much every room was). They explained that the files we were going to listen to were attainable to anyone. It sounded to us like a poor recording (and I wasn't impressed with their Sony speaks) but he seemed pleased with what we were hearing. The second cut didn't sound right either, we were finished in there. The Seaton Sound room is were the HAL music server was and again extremely nice folks. Still not sure what they were trying to demonstrate to us. And the Salk/AVA. Franks switching box made A/B ing a snap. What a difference a faceplate and new light make. Prettiest SS8's I have seen, and the Silks, the "full-range" bookshelf's were amazing. They definitely had the low end that some other 2-ways, even towers, were lacking.

It was a nice show.

martyo,
The HAL MS-2 at Axpona was the original prototype chassis without the DVD drive.  It is the same style chassis, just a slightly less tall version as it has no drive for ripping.  It was just to get some reaction to the chassis style since it is what was available when the request came.  The spec page that I sent for handouts has the picture of the final MS-2 configuration and description.

The main purpose of the room was to demo the Seaton Sound speakers and subs.

Hope that helps.

mr_bill

« Reply #130 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:08 am »
Did anyone hear the new Sony SS NA2ES floorstanding speaker with the triple tweeter array?
These are new on the market and there is a bookshelf version too.

I saw that they were displayed on the Enjoy the Music website.

sandbagger

« Reply #131 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:08 am »
Rich

A big thanks for sending MS-2 out, it was a big hit with a few and I even got asked was there a typo in the price as he thought it should have had a one in front of it :duh:

I did have to explain that the sheet was correct and I was using a early prototype without the drive due to the short notice on my part.

Set up went well and was surprisingly easy.  I stayed with Foobar all weekend.

sandbagger

« Reply #132 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:12 am »
I believe they were in the Myteck room right next to us in the seaton room.
I was sick most of the weekend but I did walk next door to check it out as I believe they were the only other room doing 5.X music
While I wasnt in there much what I did hear was nice

Did anyone hear the new Sony SS NA2ES floorstanding speaker with the triple tweeter array?
These are new on the market and there is a bookshelf version too.

I saw that they were displayed on the Enjoy the Music website.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #133 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:27 am »
Kevin,
You are most welcome!  Glad it worked out for you guy's and it sounded good with the setup!   :D

Hope you feel better soon! 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #134 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:32 am »
I believe they were in the Myteck room right next to us in the seaton room.
I was sick most of the weekend but I did walk next door to check it out as I believe they were the only other room doing 5.X music
While I wasnt in there much what I did hear was nice

No (lots of misinformation about the Mytek room here)...as posted earlier, the Mytek room was a 5.1 array of higher priced Sony AR2's, the slightly smaller brother to the flagship AR1's.   The new medium priced line is the SS-NA line (Sony calls them Home Cinema Speakers).  The NA2's were somewhere (I saw them) but I did not have a chance to seriously listen to them.

jackman

« Reply #135 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:52 am »
No (lots of misinformation about the Mytek room here)...as posted earlier, the Mytek room was a 5.1 array of higher priced Sony AR2's, the slightly smaller brother to the flagship AR1's.   The new medium priced line is the SS-NA line (Sony calls them Home Cinema Speakers).  The NA2's were somewhere (I saw them) but I did not have a chance to seriously listen to them.

Yep, what Ted just said.  Also, I heard both Sony speakers and the ones in the Mytek room, the AR2's were really great sounding in that system.  For $20k per pair they should sound great, but they were really special in that system.  The other Sony speakers NA2's were in another room, and sounded pretty good.  They were not in the league of the AR2's.  I can't believe Sony put out such ambitious speakers.  I've heard those drivers in other speakers (those are Scanspeak, right?) but none sounded as good as the Sonys (with the Mytek dacs), IMO. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #136 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:59 am »
Yeah, and the Sony AR1 flagships were in the Sony/Holm room on 7th floor, but I'd heard them much better at earlier shows.  Here they sounded a bit forward and a bit bright, but I think it was the source/amps..and not nearly as good as their smaller siblings in the Mytek room.

jackman

« Reply #137 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:16 am »
Ted,
Roscoe and I said the exact same thing after hearing them in the Holm room.  Although the smaller models in the Mytek room had several subs in the systems as well.  The big ones did not have subs but I'd expect a $27k pair if speakers to perform well enough in that smallish room.

I'm a fan of Holm audio store and hear they are going to pick up Mytek (unconfirmed from a guy I met at the show).  I hope they do because they are great about loaning people gear to audition.  They are my favorite audio store but I haven't bought anything from them in years and feel guilty!   I'm going to stop by and see if those big Skny speakers sound better in their store setup. 

RSB

« Reply #138 on: 12 Mar 2013, 03:33 am »
I was there Saturday only. It was my first audio show.  Brought a friend that was a civilian...  He was surprised that audiophiles still used tubes and vinyl records....  We were in the Holm room and a Nordost rep was doing an A/B demo of their power strip, comparing it to a common power strip.  The difference was pretty obvious to most everyone in the room.  And to my friend also.   
I was surprised to say the least.

I am from the Chicago area and have been to Holm.  I'd like to go see them again and hear the Joseph Audio Pulsars which I missed at the show.   I was impressed by the Selah Tempesta's,  thought they had a great sound stage.  They were being driven by SS electronics, but I wondered if they would be nice with tubes, sound wise.  I am merely speculating, as I am just learning.

Jackman, did you introduce yourself to me at the Salk or possibly the Modwright room?  If so, it was nice to make your acquaintance.

All in all, I enjoyed the show, and my only complaint is that I didn't have more time.  I'd love to go again next year, if it is held in Chicago.

Randy

pslate

« Reply #139 on: 12 Mar 2013, 08:46 pm »
as a lifelong chicagoan i feel obligated to give a mini - report on the show. i went all three days and it was a blast, great job overall to the axpona guys. some quick thoughts and advise:

1. shut up. seriously. you will sell a lot more gear by just playing music than playing 30 seconds of a song and then spending 4 minutes rambling on about something NO ONE wants to hear you talk about. if we have questions or want info we will find you, trust me.
2. the reason why no one wants to play your cd/thumbdrive/music file is because it's friggin terrible. some guy played a cd that i'm pretty sure was recorded in his basement with him singing with an accoustic guitar. death was not an option.
3. your system would sound a lot better if you didn't all play breathy jazz singers and piano recitals. the reason that the soundfield room kicked so much butt is because they were playing dynamic music at fairly loud levels. i personally would not buy a speaker if all i ever heard from it was diana krall whispering something in the background.
4. anyone that makes cd players had better find a new job quick. i think it was a requirement for all vendors to have an oppo playing (even into bazillion dollar systems).
5. for my money, jim salk is still the nicest guy in this biz. good speakers too.  :thumb:

I second Neekomax's comment here on Ratso's insight, I've heard enough Krall for a year! I am another M1 owner in Chicago. I'll buy you both a beer if Neeko's in town. I just moved about 2 tenths of a mile from Hopleaf :o