subwoofer recommendation

chino

subwoofer recommendation
« on: 26 May 2004, 03:12 am »
Hi !
Im in the lookout for a new sub. Can somebody recommend a decent HT sub for me? My room size is 16X12X9 ft. Budget would be around $500-600. Thanks!

Marbles

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2004, 03:19 am »
Might want to check out the new Outlaw LFM-1 as well as the Adire, Hsu and SVS offerings.

bubba966

Re: subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2004, 03:33 am »
Quote from: chino
Hi !
Im in the lookout for a new sub. Can somebody recommend a decent HT sub for me? My room size is 16X12X9 ft. Budget would be around $500-600. Thanks!

My room size is very similar (about 16x11x7) and I've been very happy with the M&K V-125. Tight, deep bass (under 20hz) that's got enough output to break things if you want (broke a window, and shook a mirror off a wall breaking it as well) to turn it up that loud. :lol:  You should be able to get one for about $600.

I was also rather impressed with a sub that was using an Adire XBL_2 driver (10") that I saw at VSAC last October. I think it was a CSS sub.

mca

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2004, 03:25 pm »
I also heard that sub at VSAC and thought it sounded quite good. Here it is:

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=CLARUSX10200

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2004, 04:23 pm »
The $700 Hsu VTF-3 should be just right for you.  I've had a VTF-2 for five years and am still amazed at the quality of bass that the Hsu subs put out.  The VTF-3 will give you output to 20Hz, play as loud as you want and blend well with your main speakers.  The Outlaw sub which was designed by Hsu is another option for $100 less but it's tuned to roll off at 25Hz.

chino

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2004, 08:39 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys appreciate it. Are there any difference between down-firing woofer and a front type woofer?

rosconey

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2004, 09:41 am »
what about vmps-great  sounding  subs :o

ctviggen

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2004, 03:32 pm »
For VMPS, you have to add your own amp and crossover.  I'm currently using an SV sub, but will likely transition to stereo VMPS subs (and maybe keep the SV for movies -- which is all it does now).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2004, 05:12 pm »
Bob,

The dual Largers were incredible the other night when I watched Master and Commander.  It was so dynamic and powerful, that I was practically ducking the cannonballs as they were being fired.

I heartily recommend the Larger subs.

It is more work than an all-in-one solution, but well worth it.

George

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2004, 05:19 pm »
Can you get a VMPS sub & an amp for $600 or less?

zybar

• Volunteer
subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2004, 05:24 pm »
You can get a Larger on the used market for $400-500.  How much you spend on the amp is up to the user.

There are plenty of amps around $300 that would be good sub amps (especially with a single Larger).

So it  would be a little bit more.

Who is to say that M&K sub you are using is equal or better (or vice-versa for that matter)?

Having just gone through this buying quandry, I am simply pointing out an option.

When I started I had no intention of going this route.  Now I am glad I did.

George

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2004, 05:36 pm »
I'm not saying that the VMPS subs aren't good. I just didn't think that you could get one for $500-$600 as was asked at the beginning of this thread.

While it's possible (but not easy) to get the M&K sub I mentioned for $600 new.

The Larger I heard at VSAC in the Bolder setup was indeed quite impressive. But it's not terribly cheap, nor small (it's one of the biggest subs I've seen). And I think the amp that was running it (as well as the room correction) cost more than the sub did.

If you've got the $ and the space for it, I'd probably say go ahead & get a Larger (or two of them even).

I should be picking up a WMD 15 from DIY Cable today. So I'll soon know if it's as good as I think it can be. But it certainly doesn't fall into the $500-$600 category as that's what just the driver costs.

That CSS sub that I spoke of & mca linked to is a great little sub for around $600, and also a little easier to get a hold of than an M&K V-125 for that price as the V-125 is supposed to be $950 retail.

zybar

• Volunteer
subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2004, 05:40 pm »
Please let me know what you think of the WMD.  I thought about getting a pair of them instead of the Larger, but obviously didn't go that way.

You can also shave some money off by moving down to one of the "smaller" subs from VMPS.  I have no experience with them so I can't directly comment on their performance.

George

mcrespo71

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2004, 06:13 pm »
What about an ACI force used.  I've never heard them, but they seem to be well reviewed.

Michael

chino

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2004, 07:43 pm »

rosconey

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2004, 09:38 pm »
rava are decent subs-

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2004, 02:33 am »
Quote from: chino
Would this Rava be ok?  
http://www.adireaudio.com/StockProducts/finished_speakers.htm#SUBWOOFERS

The Rava is supposed to be a nice sub. I've not heard one yet. But I should be going to Adire tomorrow morning to pick up the WMD 15 (which shoulda happened this morning... :evil: ). If they've got a Rava on display (which they should have) then I'll see about getting a demo.

Marbles

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2004, 02:39 am »
Bubba, I'm very interested in your impression of the WMD.  Please post your thoughts on it once you have it properly calibrated.

I think it's the most intriguing sub I've seen in a long time.

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2004, 02:44 am »
The WMD isn't actually for me. :( But I will post impressions after I get it setup right.

Hopefully I'll have something to say about the Rava as well...

Marbles

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2004, 02:47 am »
Quote from: bubba966
The WMD isn't actually for me. :( But I will post impressions after I get it setup right.

Hopefully I'll have something to say about the Rava as well...

Steal it!

That has to be one hell of a sub!

Little sub....BIG sound!