subwoofer recommendation

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2004, 02:49 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: bubba966
The WMD isn't actually for me. :( But I will post impressions after I get it setup right.

Hopefully I'll have something to say about the Rava as well...

Steal it!

That has to be one hell of a sub!

Little sub....BIG sound!

:roll: Yeah, I'm sure my boss wouldn't mind that... :lol:

Marbles

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2004, 02:52 am »
Uh, OK, skip that last thought.... :wink:

Your boss DOES deserve to have a sub that nice  :P

ctviggen

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2004, 08:11 pm »
George,

My only reasons for not going dual VMPS subs are (1) I already have a sub and haven't heard a sub I like for music, and my sub is good for movies; (2) I'm broke after moving into my house (!); and (3) I'd have to think about dual subs because the combing effect that can occur.  However, I'd love to try dual stereo subs.  And, I like the design of the Largers better than the design of my SV, but  the SV does pretty well with movies (not as good, I'm sure, as two Largers).

rosconey

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2004, 09:08 pm »
one larger will do alot of damage-hell the guy across the street came by when i watched a movie that had a big explosion and was running my large in mono-he thought i had a gas explosion( he's a volunteer fireman ) running off a odyssey mono block-

as far as a musical sub, the vmps wasnt designed in the ht age, hell no one even thought of it yet.it wasnt designed with ht application in mind so no compromises were made in the design  .i never heard a sub that i thought was worth a dam till i heard a large, i ordered one the next day :o it just happens to work great for ht .

and can be tuned by any idiot with a little time(i did it so anyone can)

mca

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2004, 11:15 pm »
Bubba,

Does Adire have a showroom that you can go up and look at, or should I say, listen to?

If so, what do they have in there?

There pretty close to me, so it might be something cool to go up and check out  :D

witchdoctor

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2004, 12:58 am »
This VBT sub is unbelievable with MUSIC. Fast, musical bass, and the only sub using this pateneted technology.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/vbt/magellan8_2.html

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2004, 08:36 am »
Quote from: mca
Bubba,

Does Adire have a showroom that you can go up and look at, or should I say, listen to?

If so, what do they have in there?

There pretty close to me, so it might be something cool to go up and check out  :D

I think they've got a showroom there. :oops: All of the time I spent there today was spent in their various assembly areas. But hey did have more space than there than I was shown.

I saw loads of different subs around the shop. And a few different speaks.

I mostly dealt with Brian (COO) & Chris (?) today. Everyone there was really cool to deal with. You should give them a call and see about stopping by. I'm sure they'd be happy to show you around. They certainly had no problems showing me around the shop even though they were quite busy.

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2004, 08:48 am »
I did get the WMD 15 picked up today. But today really, really didn't go as planned :evil:

So I didn't get it back to work & hooked up until after quitting time. As such it was just a quickie setup so that it was useable over the weekend. Didn't even have a chance to run a few demo scenes.

Will say that it's got some very, very serious output :o Even running the amp at half volume level with the gain cranked all of the way up on the Ref 30 it had enough oomph to make many a thing walk in the room.

Man that thing's got scary insane output from such a small enclosure. Weighs a fricken ton though... :cry:

chino

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2004, 07:29 am »
bubba966, did you see any of the new subs that are supposed to be out soon? From the specs I kinda like the Daeva to Rava. I dont know if its going to be to overkill for my small room tho. I think Im going to go with Adire's line or else maybe SVS  :scratch:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2004, 07:37 am »
I'm really happy with my HSU Research TN-1220's.  I have a pair of 'em powered by a 500 Watt HSU amp (fed by a parametric eq).  Actually, I have a second HSU amp that I bought with the intention of adding another pair of subs!  :o   But I had to admit to myself that the two I already have put out far more bass than most things require, and I've honestly never mangaged to strain them.

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2004, 10:06 am »
Quote from: chino
bubba966, did you see any of the new subs that are supposed to be out soon? From the specs I kinda like the Daeva to Rava. I dont know if its going to be to overkill for my small room tho. I think Im going to go with Adire's line or else maybe SVS  :scratch:

I did see many a tube sube in various stages of completion. Some of those mighta been Sadhara's.

They did have a few subs with their Tempest driver. Which mighta been the Daeva.

The Daeva shouldn't be overkill at all if it's adjusted properly. Do you have a Rat Shack SPL meter?

mab

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #31 on: 3 Jun 2004, 12:07 am »
bubba966 - just wondering if you have spent some time with the WMD yet and how it turned out?

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #32 on: 3 Jun 2004, 02:43 am »
Quote from: mab
bubba966 - just wondering if you have spent some time with the WMD yet and how it turned out?

No haven't had a chance yet to do much with the WMD. Too busy with other stuff at work. :(

Not to mention it's got virtually no breakin time on it.

I'd like to give it a listen somtime this week. And as soon as I do, I'll post about it.

chino

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #33 on: 9 Jun 2004, 06:40 am »
bubba966, Ive made up my mind. Im getting the RAVA. Nope I dont have a spl meter yet. Does it matter--analog/digital--which one should I get? what about a test cd? sorry off topic. thanks all.

bubba966

subwoofer recommendation
« Reply #34 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:11 am »
Let us know what you think of the Rava. I've still not heard one yet.... :oops:

As far as an SPL meter goes, analog is the way you'll want to go. The Rat Shack analog SPL meter is the standard meter used. And there's a Test CD made just for the Rat Shack SPL meter from Rives (sp?) Audio as the RS meter isn't accurate at lower frequencies (under 70-80Hz?).