Convince me to buy a BDP-1...

jaxwired

Convince me to buy a BDP-1...
« on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:18 pm »
I use an Apple TV 2 now to stream my iTunes lossless library to my DAC.  It's cheap and simple and works great.  Sounds great too.  But I'm open to the idea of a BDP-1.  Here's what I don't like about the BDP-1.  Correct me where I'm wrong.  Thanks.

1.  No visual display showing what is playing.  No album art.
2.  Have to connect a wifi router to use the remote app on iPhone.
3.  Have to disconnect USB drive and run downstairs to load new CDs, something I do every week.
4.  It will be obsolete in 2 years and worthless, no?  Try selling a two year old Olive.
5.  Not compatible with Apple Lossless files.  I would have to convert my entire library and manage my music with some new software that I would have to buy and learn.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Convince me to buy a BDP-1...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:58 pm »
I use an Apple TV 2 now to stream my iTunes lossless library to my DAC.  It's cheap and simple and works great.  Sounds great too.  But I'm open to the idea of a BDP-1.  Here's what I don't like about the BDP-1.  Correct me where I'm wrong.  Thanks.

Shows Album art on interface and song playing on BDP-1 front display - MPAD MAX MPOD GNOME etc.

YES or have it on the home network

3.  Have to disconnect USB drive and run downstairs to load new CDs, something I do every week
No you can load over the network but not recomended if you are transferring large amounts of data as it is time consuming

4.  It will be obsolete in 2 years and worthless, no?  Try selling a two year old Olive.
Don't think so - high res files are becoming more and more popular

5.  Not compatible with Apple Lossless files.  I would have to convert my entire library and manage my music with some new software that I would have to buy and learn.
It will play Apple Lossless and AIFF but we recommend Flac (because it is an open system) and Wave.

Hi jaxwired,

I would say if you are tied into Apple and invested a lot of time in it - it is probably better to stay with that setup. The BDP-1 is really a very targeted player essentially designed for ultimate quality playback of digital files and really is not intended to replace more generic type products.

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:06 pm »
1.When was the last time that your CD player had that?
2.Has nothing to do with performance and you are more then welcome to use the Bryston remote control.
3.Is not it true that we used to go to the rack to grab a CD?
4.Actually,this player is made for future not present and why would you want to sell it after all the music library you have build for it?  BTW,have you ever tried to return a new car after a year and see what they would offer you for that?
5.Fish is always fresh when you catch it.

BrysTony

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2012, 03:39 pm »
Hi jaxwired,

I would be happy to do a BDP-1 demo for you.  That's the best way to get convinced.  :thumb:

Tony

larevoj

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2012, 03:43 pm »
I use an Apple TV 2 now to stream my iTunes lossless library to my DAC.  It's cheap and simple and works great.  Sounds great too.  But I'm open to the idea of a BDP-1.

Hi Jaxwired, I think James have clarified your points. Though streaming through Apple TV to the DAC sounds reasonable but I dare to say its less then ideal. Even when a Mac platform is connected directly through USB/SPDIF converter may not get you anywhere as close to the BDP-1 unless you throw more money into it and the total cost of a Mac based source would far exceeds the BDP-1 asking price.

I am still using a Mac based media server as I have already spent a fair bit into it before the launch of BDP-1 so I simply invest more to get it where I like to be. However, the BDP-1 is definitely a turn key solution for folks whom like to have a media server with great sound and at a reasonable price.  :)

SHV

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2012, 03:44 pm »
FWIW, I have Apple TV, SB Touch, Cambridge iPad dock and CD transport connected into my system and the BPD-1 gets used >90% of the time.

Steve

skunark

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2012, 08:15 pm »
James,

ALAC is just as open as FLAC now.. Apple opened sourced it last year. AIFF is just as an "open system" as flac and wave.

With that said, my BPD has issues playing ALAC, but FLAC, AIFF and WAVE all work nicely.

Jim

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2012, 08:30 pm »

3.  Have to disconnect USB drive and run downstairs to load new CDs, something I do every week.
1) ATV rules here, but this isn't a criteria for me for playback. 
2) That is just basic networking, you still need a network for the ATV with it's remote app.
3) Look into something called "Synkron" for Mac or "SyncToy" for windows, it's not hard at all to keep the BDP in sync with your iTunes library. Also read my post "http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102438.msg1038459#msg1038459". 
4) I'm guessing you will have a HDD failure before the BDP becomes obsolete.
5) BDP does play ALAC, but previous firmware has had issues and unsure if latest firmware address this issue.  iTunes is probably the best app to convert from ALAC to AIFF, just remember to backup the ALAC files before removing them, or at least have the CD handy to re-rip if you accidentally delete one.   

Essentially the BDP and ATV both have the same AIFF/WAVE library, I have a hi-rez library that is a mix of formats for the BDP, and I just synchronize the disk between a mac mini and the BDP. 

SoundGame

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2012, 08:36 pm »
Jaxwired,

The biggest drawback of the Apple TV is that it does not do hi-rez.  Even Apple Lossless is downsampled as I understand it to standard CD 16/24.  The BDP allows for hi-rez files up to 24/192 which can make all the difference in the world when the source file is truly taken from an original master of that resolution or higher. 

Personally, I would love to get my hands on a BDP but can't afford it.  I've taken an alternate route - what I consider much better than the Apple TV and getting me into the hi-rez realm.  I've got my hands on a Squeezebox Touch - it plays virtually any type of file including Apple lossless.  It has a touch screen - so you don't need a monitor and it handles both wireless and wired connections.  Cost is low - in the U.S. you can find them for around $250.  It really doesn't hurt to try it out.  The only limitation vs. you Apple TV is that it is audio only - no video. 

Cheers.

skunark

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2012, 09:04 pm »
Jaxwired,

The biggest drawback of the Apple TV is that it does not do hi-rez.  Even Apple Lossless is downsampled as I understand it to standard CD 16/24.

ATV will playback 24-bit/48, right or wrong it converts 16/44.1 to that.  Also ALAC supports various formats, but most devices only support 16/44.1 playback, which makes it limited...

Owning both the ATV and the BDP with both feeding the BDA, I think both sound great for 16/44.1 files, but the BDP has a clear edge and of course you gain with the hi-rez audio.     

It's worth doing a demo.  Also a recent review of Oppo's BDP-95 indicates an android/iphone app coming later this year that will help turn it into a music player as well, is an interesting choice.   It's really could become the swiss army knife of playback.

PRELUDE

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2012, 09:20 pm »
For many times I saw few manufactures using both BDP-1 and BDA-1 to demo their stuff.I think you should go out and listen to it and you might change your mind but again if your mind is into media player,then this device was not build for that.It is simply the hi-end digital player and you can compare it with way more expensive CD players.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2012, 02:18 am »
I was very dubious about the BDP-1 when James was explaining it before it was shipped. I used a Roku SoundBridge which worked well, had a terrific display, and did not require that I convert files, had Internet radio. In fact, I wrote to James and explained why it wasn't for me.

But I learned long ago that Bryston often delivers beyond expectations. So I bought one based on my hope that it would be an improvement over the Roku.

My BDP-1 is serial No. 13, and now it is the centre of my system. It does take some effort in terms of getting files in the right format. And there is some effort in setting it up. It is definitely not plug-and-play.

Moreover, I do not buy the argument made that the BDP-1 is great because it is ready to handle high rez files. High rez, in my view, is not likely to be a big deal in the foreseeable future because there is not a big enough market for it to create the demand for lots titles in the kind of music that individuals might want. I like jazz and there are very few titles in this genre. And getting downloads of lots and lots of titles is just note there. In short, until there is an iTunes tyoe of service for high rez, I can't see it growing. My guess is that it will go the way of DVD-Audio and SACD - very limited market for enthusiasts and with a limited number of titles.

But I love my BDP-1. And would buy it again in a New York minute.

Why? Because it makes some 16,000 tracks of music that I have ripped from ordinary CDs better than they sound on my CD equipment. For anyone interested in improving the music he already it is simply a great piece of equipment, which has been made better through software updates.

I still use my Roku. It shows me with a wonderful display the tracks playing on Internet radio stations which, in fact, I play through the BDP-1.

Dave

jaxwired

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:01 am »
I was very dubious about the BDP-1 when James was explaining it before it was shipped. I used a Roku SoundBridge which worked well, had a terrific display, and did not require that I convert files, had Internet radio. In fact, I wrote to James and explained why it wasn't for me.

But I learned long ago that Bryston often delivers beyond expectations. So I bought one based on my hope that it would be an improvement over the Roku.

My BDP-1 is serial No. 13, and now it is the centre of my system. It does take some effort in terms of getting files in the right format. And there is some effort in setting it up. It is definitely not plug-and-play.

Moreover, I do not buy the argument made that the BDP-1 is great because it is ready to handle high rez files. High rez, in my view, is not likely to be a big deal in the foreseeable future because there is not a big enough market for it to create the demand for lots titles in the kind of music that individuals might want. I like jazz and there are very few titles in this genre. And getting downloads of lots and lots of titles is just note there. In short, until there is an iTunes tyoe of service for high rez, I can't see it growing. My guess is that it will go the way of DVD-Audio and SACD - very limited market for enthusiasts and with a limited number of titles.

But I love my BDP-1. And would buy it again in a New York minute.

Why? Because it makes some 16,000 tracks of music that I have ripped from ordinary CDs better than they sound on my CD equipment. For anyone interested in improving the music he already it is simply a great piece of equipment, which has been made better through software updates.

I still use my Roku. It shows me with a wonderful display the tracks playing on Internet radio stations which, in fact, I play through the BDP-1.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  Great post.  I agree with everything you said.  I also don't see myself buying hi-res music other than a couple for the novelty of it.  I'm very picky about my music and the chance of finding something I truly want available on hi-res is a long shot.  But if it would really sound better than a CD player not to mention the ATV, for standard res music, that would make it worth considering.  It's a tough call for me. 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:15 am »
Thanks Dave.  Great post.  I agree with everything you said.  I also don't see myself buying hi-res music other than a couple for the novelty of it.  I'm very picky about my music and the chance of finding something I truly want available on hi-res is a long shot.  But if it would really sound better than a CD player not to mention the ATV, for standard res music, that would make it worth considering.  It's a tough call for me.

Jaxwired, it took me a long time to make the decision. I made a bet, took the chance, on it making CD-ripped files sound better. It was a reasoned bet because Bryston electronics makes a big difference. But still it was a bet. And it paid off big time.

All I can say is that it is the only device I use to source music for my main audio system.

BTW, one of the under-rated features of the BDP-1 is that it works well for Internet radio stations. Because I use the BDA-1 the sound of stations playing only in 128 kbs are quite listenable.

Dave

SoundGame

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:54 am »
Interesting way of looking at it Dave and your comments/experience are much appeciated.  I believe the elimination of the optical source path and all the negative variable associated with it is a key to the BDP-1's improvement over a CDP, as well has the whole optimization of the circuit path and power supply.  It's good to know there are noticeable gains, even in the non-hi-rez realms. 

As for me, I believe the SqueezeBox Touch is not an end but rather a stepping stone to something even better - all in good time.

Happy listening.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:12 am »
While I won't argue whether upsampling in general is good or not when it is a multiple of the native sampling rate (44.1KHz upsampled to 88.2KHz or 176.4KHz), upsampling 44.1Khz to 48KHz as the Apple TV does would likely take you further away from the pursuit of the best possible sound.

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2012, 01:12 pm »
Jaxwired,

What do you care about the most...is it sound quality or ease of use?

The BDP-1 is going to sound significantly better than the ATV or almost anything else out there in terms of being used as a source for ripped music.  For me that is the most important aspect and what sold me on the BDP-1.  Simply put, it improved the sound of my system and made my listening more enjoyable.

While Bryston has definitely improved the BDP-1's usability and feature/functionality over the last year plus, it is not as plug and play as an ATV unit and probably never will be.  I have learned to live with some of its quirks and the user interface limitations and it isn't that bad.  I primarily use MPAD as my interface, but the newest Bryston interface, Max 2, is much better and faster than previous versions and might start to see more use.  Both are run on the various iPads that are in the house.

None of us (outside of James) should be convincing you to buy a BDP-1!!   :nono:

Instead, we should be convincing you to try the BDP-1 in your system and decide for yourself.

I think that once you try the BDP-1, you will understand why we all love it so much and why it has become such an important part of our systems.

Best of luck,

George   

adol290

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:24 pm »
Jaxwired,

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT

Buy a BDP-1,

After listening to digital music on this player you will be ruined for life.

You will never play another CD. You will rip all of your current CD's to digital, and throw out your CD player.

You will be hard pressed to find this type of quality playback. Some Hi-def internet music is simply outstanding.

You will spend countless hours looking for hi res digital music.

So BEWARE.....   

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:24 pm »
If you don't buy a BDP-1....

WE'LL SHOOT THIS DOG !!!!

:wink:
D.D.
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2012, 08:26 pm by Diamond Dog »

spinner

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jun 2012, 05:43 pm »
   This is fine if what you listen to is on the web (as hi rez or what ever). In my case the CD reigns. For me ,I still prefer to 'spin' a disc, be it an LP or CD, just for the  pleasure of a tangible record in my hand!. If anyone wants to throw away their CD-1 players please send them to me   :lol: :thumb: