VR-4s MkII in a 13' x 15' room

roscoeiii

VR-4s MkII in a 13' x 15' room
« on: 1 Jun 2012, 04:04 am »

Hi folks,

I have the possibility of buying some VR-4 Mk IIs locally and am concerned that they may be too much for my 13' by 15' room. In my room, I'd need to have the VR-4s along the long wall and could only place them about 2' out from the wall.

Is this a bad match for my listening room?

I am renting and won't be here forever, so even if they are workable in this space, if not ideal I may grab them. Eventually I will have a larger space. But I don't want to grab them if they won't work at all in my current space.

And any tips for making them work in my smallish room are much appreciated.

roscoeiii

Re: VR-4s MkII in a 13' x 15' room
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2012, 05:50 pm »
Anyone with thoughts on this?

I am trying to sweet talk the seller into an option to return them if they don't work in my space, but no luck on that front so far...

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:27 pm »
Hi Rosco

Hard to give specifics without knowing more about the room but in my experience, you can use the VSA line in many rooms that some might consider less than ideal, size-wise.  15' x 13' is not the smallest room in which I've had a decent audio system (you don't mention height but am thinking it's about 8'?).  I've put my VR5s up against the wall at time without too much difficulty too (albeit in a larger room) so I'm inclined to encourage you here, especially since you say this room is temporary. Placement along the long wall is not likely a problem and might even be a benefit in your situation.

If you want to be sure -- give VSA a quick call, am sure they'll give you a realistic assessment

garyleg

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:41 pm »
Hello,

I am by no means an expert on sound and acoustics so take this opinion for what its worth. I can only tell you about my minimal experience. I have a pair of VR-4 GenIII's that I originaly purchased and used in a 12X24 room with the speakers on the long wall. I by no means had a optimal set-up, however the sound I experienced was absolutely stunning to me. These VR-4s were my first experience with truly high end speakers. Prior to buying my Von schweikerts I constantly was afflicted with upgraditis and was constantly searching for something more with each new speakers i bought. I have now had my VR4s for over 5 years now and are still extremely happy with their sound. Sure I would like to try some of the more recent models higher up the line. but the cost difference to do so is not worth it for me at this time. I have since bought a new home with a listening room that is much larger and should yield even better sound supposedly. I have however been unable to capture the intimate magic that seemed to happen in my old room. Granted i haven't spent the time yet with proper setup and experimentation in my new home yet because of all the remodel projects i have been busy with. Iam almost done now and will soon put some time and effort into properly setting up my new room and hopefully create that magic again. If you have yet to experience Von schweikert speakers i say pull the plug. You won't be dissapointed. Also if you look in my gallery you can see pics of my setup in my old home and can see its not optimal.
Good luck,
Gary

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:44 pm »
Thanks for that feedback. The speakers would be against the long wall. And there would be only one side wall, as the room opens out into the dining room. 

Johnbr

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2012, 10:32 pm »
I find the vr-4 mk sound  best 2ft from the back wall.Your room it should sound good.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2012, 12:51 am »
Well, if the speakers could be out from the SHORT at around 4', I think that would be more optimum.  Especially if you listen to much classical music made on location.  It's good to have some space around a speaker if you listen to that kind of music, at least if the sound of and in the venue is an important ingredient for you.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2012, 10:52 am »
Well, looks like I will be lucky enough to be able to follow the advice I have been giving a lot lately and get to audition the VR-4 Gen IIs in my own system and room. What a relief that the seller is local and agreed. Will report back on how they work.

The will need to go on the long wall, short wall just isn't a option in my current room.

Crossing my fingers. And bracing my back for some heavy lifting.

pjnad

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:08 pm »
Good listening...I have a pair of VR4s that are a somewhat upgraded version (drivers) of the originals. I bought them a couple of years ago from a gentleman who decided that they were too large and too bass heavy for his listening room. I have them in a room that is approximately 16 x 30. They are on the long wall, 15' off the wall, front drivers at about 35'. My seat is 11.5' from the front of the speaker.
At first, they were kind of boomy ( my room has minimal room treatments ), but with some tinkering I was able to improve that. You can add or subtract some polyfill from the two bass drivers as necessary. The manual also suggests using a piece of cardboard rolled into a tube and inserted into one or both ports in the rear.
I have found that equipment and cabling/cords has made a huge difference ; as I have been able to upgrade the speakers have responded accordingly.
I am, at this point very pleased with the sound, detailed, smooth, great soundstaging.
Enjoy and good luck.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:25 pm »
Thanks pjnad.

If the speakers work out I may well be in touch about the details of your upgrades.

pjnad

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:28 pm »
I hope that they do...get in touch anytime; I'd be happy to continue to share my experience with these :thumb:

pjnad

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:31 pm »
By the way, the folks at VSA are really great re: customer service and communication. You can call and speak to them about the speakers and the rest of your set up and they should be helpful.

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2012, 03:05 pm »
Thanks pjnad,

Yeah my plan is to audition until at least Monday so that if there are issues, I can call VSA to get advice re: making these work in my room.

Best,

Roscoe

pjnad

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2012, 01:03 am »
You're welcome Roscoe,
I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of the speakers when you have had a chance to listen for a bit...
Regards,
Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2012, 01:19 am »
Oh yeah, I will definitely pass on my impressions. Not so patiently waiting to hear from the seller about when I can pick the VR-4 Gen IIs up. If they don't work out or the sale unexpectedly falls through, there is also a pair of VR-2s available in the area. I'm actually wondering if they might be better in my room since they are front ported.

pjnad

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2012, 01:27 am »
Waiting sucks  :roll: I have no real experience with any of the other vsa speakers, so I can't comment on the 2's... but I can say that playing around with the ports does make a big difference in bass response and overall sonics. Also, my VR4s have the rear firing ambience tweeter and a gain adjustment control which seems to give nice depth to the soundstage.

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2012, 04:41 am »
Well, after much lifting and grunting and groaning, the VR-4 Gen IIs are in my place. Damn are they heavy even in two pieces per speaker. Had to run out to dinner just after getting them set up. Will give a good listen and report more tomorrow.

whie4x

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2012, 10:56 am »
Enjoy your new pride and joy... :-)

Delacroix

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:02 pm »
Roscoe

so how did they (do they continue to) sound in your room?  You know we are all waiting.....

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:08 pm »
So far so good. I was holding off posting until I had a chance to speak with Von Scehweikert about placement (sadly no manual came with the speakers and VSA no longer has copies, sadly). And until I was able to get the speakers up on spikes (which the seller couldn't locate).

But even without these things, the speakers sound great. But not quite sure about them in my room. More listening to come.