my Tempesta DIY

vortrex

my Tempesta DIY
« on: 30 May 2012, 10:33 pm »
the "before" shot with the drivers dropped into place.  I had the cabinets made to the same spec as the rectangular PE ones.  they still need a fair amount of work before I can get to doing the finish, but hopefully in a couple weeks they'll be done.

sonicxtc

Re: my Tempesta DIY
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 10:38 pm »
They look great. I hope to follow this thread.
May I ask how much it cost to have the cabinets fabricated?
Thank you.

EDS_

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 10:55 pm »
Totally spectacular!

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 11:51 pm »
Totally spectacular!
An understatement.

pawsman

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2012, 09:56 am »
Spectacular indeed!! Who did the cabinets? Are you going with a clear finish?

pawsman

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2012, 04:37 pm »
the cabinets were built by http://www.signatureaudiolabs.com/ and cost $1200 - custom design, all holes cut, No-Rez installed, and finish sanded.  I'll be leaving them bare ply, but might put a light walnut stain on to warm them up a bit without ruining the stacked ply look.

saeyedoc

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2012, 05:41 pm »
Have you been able to listen to them yet?
Any work on when your Cirrus is coming?
I was going to wait on your comparo, but jumped ship and ordered some Supercharged Songtowers in an unusual veneer.

vortrex

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2012, 06:26 pm »
no, as I said, 2 weeks or so.  they are empty unfinished cabinets at this point.  no current update on the Vapor.

saeyedoc

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2012, 07:22 pm »
no, as I said, 2 weeks or so.  they are empty unfinished cabinets at this point.  no current update on the Vapor.
Ok, sorry, I saw the pictures with the drivers in place, didn't realize you hadn't finished them yet, thought the work you had left was just cosmetic.
By the way, they look great, I think you made a wise choice. I couldn't bring myself to buy a $4k speaker in a pre-built cabinet, maybe if I was 30 years younger and single.

vortrex

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2012, 07:39 pm »
I couldn't bring myself to buy a $4k speaker in a pre-built cabinet, maybe if I was 30 years younger and single.

weren't your new ST's $4k?

saeyedoc

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 08:29 pm »
weren't your new ST's $4k?
$3800/pr including the upgraded veneer, a spalted beeswing makore. High WAF, I let her have input on the veneer and the SCSTs will take up less floor space than a stand-mount, they are 1/2 as wide as my Vandersteens and no deeper.

vortrex

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 08:51 pm »
$3800/pr including the upgraded veneer, a spalted beeswing makore. High WAF, I let her have input on the veneer and the SCSTs will take up less floor space than a stand-mount, they are 1/2 as wide as my Vandersteens and no deeper.

yeah, those are going to be great speakers too.  I almost went with SC ST's in the beginning but decided I wanted to try a stand mount with better drivers.  I definitely like the fact there is less depth needed though.  the Tempesta's look so beefy next to my SongTowers.

saeyedoc

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2012, 09:03 pm »
yeah, those are going to be great speakers too.  I almost went with SC ST's in the beginning but decided I wanted to try a stand mount with better drivers.  I definitely like the fact there is less depth needed though.  the Tempesta's look so beefy next to my SongTowers.
Didn't realize you have the SongTowers also. So how many pairs of speakers will you have once you get your Cirrus?

vortrex

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2012, 09:36 pm »
would only be 3 total.  I'm going to list the ST's for sale soon, when I am closer to having the Tempesta's ready.

saeyedoc

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2012, 10:03 pm »
Are you thinking of just keeping one of the Tempesta or Cirrus or both?
I love the construction of stacked ply, looks very robust. Given what Ryan's doing with his cabinets, I bet they will be even more substantial. Whether that really makes a difference in the sound,who knows. It would be interesting to compare your Tempesta to one with the standard cabinets. Regardless, they sure look more interesting then the pre-built ones.

vortrex

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2012, 10:13 pm »
I'll keep one pair, after spending some amount of time with both.  I want this to be the end of the road for speakers.  I think this will mostly come down to whether I like 2 or 3-way best.  obviously both are top notch speakers in this price range (and probably much higher too).

I don't know how much the cabinets will add to the sound.  to be perfectly honest, I did the stacked ply for the Tempesta for aesthetics mostly.  if there is a sound improvement, then that's a bonus. 

the front and rear is 1" thick and the sides are about 1.5" thick.  there are 3 of the horizontal braces inside.  the braces are a little bit different in the pic, the edges are nicely rounded off in the actual cabinets.

jonbee

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2012, 11:57 pm »
I'll keep one pair, after spending some amount of time with both.  I want this to be the end of the road for speakers.  I think this will mostly come down to whether I like 2 or 3-way best.  obviously both are top notch speakers in this price range (and probably much higher too).
Well, it should be a most interesting, classic matchup, IMO. I hope you report what you find along the way.

ricardojoa

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2012, 05:22 pm »
the cabinets were built by http://www.signatureaudiolabs.com/ and cost $1200 - custom design, all holes cut, No-Rez installed, and finish sanded.  I'll be leaving them bare ply, but might put a light walnut stain on to warm them up a bit without ruining the stacked ply look.
$1200 for each or a pair?

vortrex

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2012, 05:28 pm »
$1200 for each or a pair?

for the pair.

ricardojoa

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2012, 05:31 pm »
thanks, please dont forget to report of the two speakers u got now  ;)