Three of the best guitarest ever.

Landgreen

Re: Three of the best guitarest ever.
« Reply #80 on: 27 May 2012, 02:16 am »
I'd have to agree with Joe Bonamassa who is my current favourite. Eric Clapton and David Gilmour would make it my top 3.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #81 on: 27 May 2012, 05:01 am »

John freakin' Butler. On a twelve-string flat-top yet. Wow....just...wow.

D.D.

Delta Wave

« Reply #82 on: 27 May 2012, 06:28 am »
Only one Frank Zappa mention? Heathens... What about Steve Howe or Trey Anastasio?

A Frank Zappa & Steve Vai duo...

http://youtu.be/TEnzdp71U78

nature boy

« Reply #83 on: 27 May 2012, 04:07 pm »
1) Hendrix
2) SRV
3) Gilmour

Lot's of other notables, including Leo Kottke, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, and others.

NB 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #84 on: 30 May 2012, 11:44 pm »
Bill Frisell been mentioned?  He's a bad mamajama.  Got to catch him live earlier this year.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #85 on: 31 May 2012, 12:05 am »
On the aformentioned Santana recording, in particular would be the closing track, The Life Divine.  The mostest cryin shame is the murkiness of drummer Billy Cobham, bassist Doug Rauch, and organist Larry Young in the mix.  I don't see how it's possible that Billy Cobham could sustain this kind of energy for as long as he does.  Boy, this is one I'd like to hear with better separation and recorded in uncompressed direct-to-disc!  Santana shines, no, beams.  With John McLaughlin.

Æ

« Reply #86 on: 31 May 2012, 12:30 am »
I don't see how it's possible that Billy Cobham could sustain this kind of energy for as long as he does.

I like Billy Cobham, wrong thread, he isn't a guitarist!
I met him a long time ago during a break, while he was performing at California State University Northridge. I actually asked him about the then deceased guitarist Tommy Bolin.
Anyway, Billy could keep playing and playing because had some pretty impressive, rather muscular arms.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #87 on: 31 May 2012, 12:35 am »
Love Devotion Surrender surely is one of the worst sounds SACDs I have, au pair with Tubular Bells and Brain Salad Surgery, very slow tape recording, only the euphonic vinyl will increase this sound.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/7592

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #88 on: 31 May 2012, 12:37 am »

weitrhino

« Reply #89 on: 31 May 2012, 02:32 am »
Do you have 7 minutes?  C'mon!  You know you do. You know you can waste 7 minutes on the internet without even thinking about it.  So why not invest those minutes checking out Shawn Lane?  At 4:54 be prepared to pick up your jaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eDV4fJcRUI&feature=related

Rclark

« Reply #90 on: 31 May 2012, 03:13 am »
Only one Frank Zappa mention? Heathens... What about Steve Howe or Trey Anastasio?

A Frank Zappa & Steve Vai duo...

http://youtu.be/TEnzdp71U78

DAMN. That was incredible.

doorman

« Reply #91 on: 31 May 2012, 03:17 am »
Shawn was one of those comets that streak through our world all too briefly,and Poof--- Gone.
If interested, also check out some of his work with Jonas Helborg, Jeff Sipe, Selvaganesh et al.
-Thanks for posting the above link!
Don

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #92 on: 31 May 2012, 07:21 am »
Speed demons...or playing with heart and feeling....I'll take the latter every time. :wink:

An example.....Rory Gallagher.... :thumb:

simoon

« Reply #93 on: 31 May 2012, 09:07 pm »
Speed demons...or playing with heart and feeling....I'll take the latter every time. :wink:

What a great thing that those 2 attributes are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of guitarists that can do both brilliantly.

And just because a guy plays blues scales and bends a lot of notes, doesn't mean he's 'playing with feeling'.

And the other side of the coin, just because a guy is playing blazingly fast, doesn't mean there is no feeling.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 1 Jun 2012, 04:09 am »
What a great thing that those 2 attributes are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of guitarists that can do both brilliantly.

And just because a guy plays blues scales and bends a lot of notes, doesn't mean he's 'playing with feeling'.

And the other side of the coin, just because a guy is playing blazingly fast, doesn't mean there is no feeling.

That's pretty much my feelings when someone starts to bash Jascha Heifetz.

hndaaudio

« Reply #95 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:44 am »
A name I never see mentioned in such discussions is Laurie Wisefield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6t-UdjkQg

As others have pointed out,it's not about speed,it's about making great music;I never heard George Harrison shred,but consider him a great guitarist.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #96 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:15 am »
A name I never see mentioned in such discussions is Laurie Wisefield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6t-UdjkQg

As others have pointed out,it's not about speed,it's about making great music;I never heard George Harrison shred,but consider him a great guitarist.
Oh, that's good, but I don't think you have a consensus that this topic is about speed.  Please.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #97 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:27 am »
All of you forgot the Louisianna  Mississipi Flash...Jerry Reed...Smokey  and the Bandit...I have found old records at yard sales that might prove my point,and for trivia,who was that guy on the early Andy Griffith show who did 2 appearances as the guitarist locked up in jail.....who jammed with Andy....Mark Korda