Question on future Bryston pre-amps (if there is one in making)

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Why Fact 8 and not something from “i” or professional series? Have you done any comparison to larger PMCs (IB2 and up), if so what were the impressions?

The fact.8's replaced FB1i's. The larger PMC's would be too large for my requirements so that was a non-starter as a potential upgrade path and I actually prefer the sound of the fact-series to that of the i-series. Many i-series devotees would consider that view to be heresy but with the fact- and now the Twenty series, it would appear that PMC is seeing a need to offer an alternative with a fresh voice. I for one am glad they did. That is not to say that I dislike the sound of the i-series and it has been very successful for PMC. It's a personal preference on my part.

D.D. 

TONEPUB

The Fact speakers are very nice....

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
That would be something useful indeed, have you ever come across line level pre-amp with such function?

The old Bryston preamps did.

Sasha

The fact.8's replaced FB1i's. The larger PMC's would be too large for my requirements so that was a non-starter as a potential upgrade path and I actually prefer the sound of the fact-series to that of the i-series. Many i-series devotees would consider that view to be heresy but with the fact- and now the Twenty series, it would appear that PMC is seeing a need to offer an alternative with a fresh voice. I for one am glad they did. That is not to say that I dislike the sound of the i-series and it has been very successful for PMC. It's a personal preference on my part.

D.D.
I do not see why a preference of Fact over i-series anyone would consider heresy, both appear to be competently designed, and it can certainly be argued that Sonomex may be “better” than Sonolex.
Would you mind describing in more details which models from i-series you considered for your space and compared to fact 8, and what aspects of fact 8 performance you found more desirable (things like extension, transient speed, imaging, resolution, power response, etc.)?

Diamond Dog

I do not see why a preference of Fact over i-series anyone would consider heresy, both appear to be competently designed, and it can certainly be argued that Sonomex may be “better” than Sonolex.
Would you mind describing in more details which models from i-series you considered for your space and compared to fact 8, and what aspects of fact 8 performance you found more desirable (things like extension, transient speed, imaging, resolution, power response, etc.)?

Hi: I also considered the OB1i and decided it would not provide sufficient improvement over what were then my current speakers. The EB1 was already on it's way out of production and anything larger than that would have been unsuitable in terms of size, room interaction and my feeling that larger speakers really don't give their best without being pushed a bit. In fact, the EB1's were already at the extreme fringe of what I would have accepted size-wise. I am a nearfield listener and that, along with other real-world considerations means that I am not looking to generate bowel-liquifying SPL's here. By the same token, I want a full and satisfying sonic presentation and that makes speaker-buying an interesting proposition.
That basically left the PB1i until my dealer asked if I had considered the new fact-series. I have always had a soft spot for the imaging characteristics of two-ways and so I looked into them.

I was fortunate enough to be able to audition a pair of fact.8's in my home for a week or so. My impression was that they were very enjoyable in that the presentation was a lot more vivid and nimble-sounding than the i-series speakers which seemed a little restrained-sounding by comparison.  I have owned other British speakers such as KEF and find that that is not uncommon among them. At the time I also auditioned some non-PMC's such as Spendor and found that effect to be even more pronounced. Vienna Acoustics and Audio Physic just had my mind straying to what else I had to do that afternoon. On the other hand, auditioning a couple of the higher-end Monitor Audio pieces left me feeling as though I had been pummeled outside of a bar. The fact.8's just had so much more clarity and did so without being bright or overly forward-sounding. I also found that they provided sufficient bass extension at what are for me normal listening levels to satisfy my requirements. They offer a very well-balanced sonic presentation with perhaps a slight emphasis to the upper midrange. Reproduction of the "soundstage construct" was superb in all aspects. The additional flexibility offered by the fact.8's in terms of tailoring both high and low frequency response for tastes and individual room characteristics did not play a roll as, after improving my room treatments, i ended up running them flat anyway.

FWIW, from an aesthetic POV, I think that the fact.8's are more appealing than the i-series as well but this really played no role in the purchase decision. Visually, my system includes the delightfully quirky ( Manley), the ultra-sleek and modernist ( Esoteric ) and the robust and purposeful ( Bryston ) so it's a bit of a hash from that respect.

Sasha, I fully appreciate that you are what we call a "technically- motivated buyer" in my world so I imagine that this all seems frustratingly vague and lacking in terms of comparative specification between products, etc. But having had technicality nearly ruin my love of music at one point in my life, I consciously try to avoid becoming too involved in that aspect of this. So no, I do not take this as seriously as some, perhaps including yourself. That being said, neither of our approaches to this are wrong, only different. Enjoy.

D.D.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2012, 11:28 pm by Diamond Dog »

Sasha

Sasha, I fully appreciate that you are what we recall a "technically- motivated buyer" in my world so I imagine that this all seems frustratingly vague and lacking in terms of comparative specification between products, etc. But having had technicality nearly ruin my love of music at one point in my life, I consciously try to avoid becoming too involved in that aspect of this. So no, I do not take this as seriously as some, perhaps including yourself. That being said, neither of our approaches to this are wrong, only different. Enjoy.
Not so, I did not see it like that, your description provided good comparative info because I am familiar will all PMC speakers you described with exception of fact series, and also had exposure to Spendor, Vienna Acoustics and Audio Physic. The only thing that I did not fully get was that you placed Audio Physic into the same “uninvolving” category together with Vienna Acoustics, my impression of Audio Physic was more positive, I would venture to say in some ways more similar to PMC than not.
I do not get impression that your and my ultimate objectives are any different, it is just the approach we take to achieve desired results that is fundamentally different. I like to apply analytical skills and try to make correlation between what I hear and design choices, measurements, the rational part of it if you will.
I find that it allows me to weed out technologies and components that would most likely not contribute to the achievement of my objectives, so I do not have to waste time and money on trying those. Technicalities are simply the means.
Throughout the years in this hobby I went from SS to tubes and back to SS, from playing with all kind of analog and digital interconnects, power cords, insulation techniques, to finally dismissing all of them as wrong approach and futile exercise, and so on, I have “smartened up” over the years and that works much better. The conflict arises usually when those with no experience and/or knowledge become overly enthusiastic in their attempts to impose their views on others, become patronizing and insulting, and try to convince me that all that was experienced, heard, learned, is invalid, and do so constantly, regardless of the subject at hand, derailing any attempts to have meaningful exchange of information. That is when my “brusque approach” surfaces. With some people it is just not possible to establish communication, it is evident on these forums, some just blow everything out of proportions and look for a way to expand confrontation. This entire post may seem confrontational to some, but there is no such intent, I am simply expressing my views, and reason for it is that you do not appear to be needlessly confrontational and are receptive to different views.

Diamond Dog

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Sasha. As my biggest role model in life was probably Bugs Bunny, I do tend towards irreverence... :wink: Bear with me.

As to Audio Physic, I know that others here echo your view on that brand ( Stu Pitt comes to mind - he owns a pair ). It could have been my state of mind that day or maybe the combination of the other components in the demo system ( I believe it was Moon if memory serves me ) and the bland, audiophile-approved cool jazz used for the demo. Regardless, much of this is so subjective - many will no doubt find that product to be very much to their taste and more power to them.

D.D.   

HsvHeelFan

Diamond Dog,  thanks for your thoughts on the Fact 8's.  I've still got my KEF's, but if I ever make a change, I'll be sure to give those a listen.

HsvHeelFan

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Which model of KEFs do you have?

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Sasha. As my biggest role model in life was probably Bugs Bunny, I do tend towards irreverence... ;) Bear with me.

D.D.
Thats so funny, me too  :thumb:

Diamond Dog

Thats so funny, me too  :thumb:

Nyaaahh...What's up, Doc?  :D

D.D.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Nyaaahh...What's up, Doc?  :D

D.D.