Greetings!

Bardo

Greetings!
« on: 18 May 2012, 04:53 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been on one of the "other" planar forums for the better part of a year now but the seemingly daily personal attacks has driven me away. Well, I'll still probably lurk, it's just not constructive over there.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I recognize a lot of other's from the other site but many are new to me. Hope to learn from this place in a grown-up environment! So hello!

-Bardo

-Bardo

josh358

Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2012, 07:44 pm »
Hey Bardo,

Fancy meeting you here! :-)

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2012, 01:09 am »
Hey Bardo!

I still lurk that other site from time to time and I saw your post regarding your visiting Magnepan. It was a very enjoyable read, but I was bothered by one of the responses (to which I thought you replied exceptionally well). In my opinion, that is a ward in need of a moderator.

I think we have the ideal moderator right here – let's keep him :D. Of course, the traffic here isn't as busy, but still... It's nice to see your name added to the growing list of those I find familiar. There are a lot of nice folks here.

There will always be differing opinions (and levels of understanding) in a group such as this, but it's nice to see them navigated with mutual respect for the individuals involved. It's also nice to find the levity which peppers many of these threads – it should be fun.

The boon of a community is that the collective knowledge-base is greater than that possessed by any of the individuals which comprise it. The bane is that the odds of finding 'a bad apple' increase with the size of the population. C'est la guerre!

Hier, alles klar. Gruß, mein freund.

(was waz)

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2012, 03:07 am »
That other forum is sure working to make this the best place to talk planars, nice to have you here Bardo!

Jim

andyr

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2012, 10:56 am »

(was waz)

Shirley, it must be 'waz' as in 'wazoo', with that avatar showing Mr Zappa?  :D

Regards,

Andy

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2012, 01:09 pm »
Welcome Bardo

I know what you mean about the other forum.
I asked a question about resisitors over there and while many were kind enough to provide answers to my question I did get this

End to End has no meaning in electronics. The terms are Parallel or Series. Terms like these have definite meanings. Get your self a book of basic dc electronics and learn the correct terms so you can discuss these issues without sounding like a complete ass.

Now, do you think this ASS would talk to me like that face to face?

rw@cn

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2012, 01:52 pm »
Welcome Bardo

I asked a question about resisitors over there and while many were kind enough to provide answers to my question I did get this

End to End has no meaning in electronics. The terms are Parallel or Series. Terms like these have definite meanings. Get your self a book of basic dc electronics and learn the correct terms so you can discuss these issues without sounding like a complete ass.

:lol: I shouldn't laugh but sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2012, 02:14 pm »
    For me this is the forum to participate in. Steve does a great job. Most are helpfull with open eyes. There are one or two naysayers but we know how to deal with them.
    Just do not respond to thier posts, very simple.
Emil, DUELAND.

charles

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2012, 03:46 pm »
Welcome Bardo

Yeah, I saw that too. That's a great example of being disrespectful towards an individual asking a question. The bizarre thing about that attitude is that the raison d'être of a forum is the sharing of knowledge. We are all born ignorant. For the most part, the knowledge we accrete comes from others – this is the power of culture. (Of course, we also discover things via our own experimentation from time to time.) I cringe when I read responses like that to a simple question. If I were the moderator of that forum, such responses would be very short lived. I'm glad you didn't get treated like that by anyone here.

Shirley, it must be 'waz' as in 'wazoo', with that avatar showing Mr Zappa?  :D

Regards,

Andy

Yes, Andy, you have me sussed. I enjoy participating in discussions relating to this hobby/passion. I'd get the shakes if I didn't have a place to get my fix. I still miss the other place, but I really like it here.

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2012, 03:54 pm »
As already noted, there are a few nay sayers who troll, but for the most part are benign and if they do cross the invisible line, are dealt with by the mods who will stand them in the corner in a timeout for a few days to chill what ails them. 

To be honest, I haven't lurked the other place for about a month, so I guess and there were no withdrawal symptoms to deal with :thumb:

In due time, more of the knowledgeable ones from the loony bin will gravitate over here leaving the rest to pound sand in the sand box over there....

Jim

josh358

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2012, 04:15 pm »
Welcome Bardo

Whoa, pleasant. I didn't read that thread. Fortunately, I guess.

For those over there, Mart does want to be informed of this stuff so he can take action. The mods' problem over there seems to be that they don't see all the posts and no one lets them know.

josh358

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2012, 04:26 pm »
Yeah, I saw that too. That's a great example of being disrespectful towards an individual asking a question. The bizarre thing about that attitude is that the raison d'être of a forum is the sharing of knowledge. We are all born ignorant. For the most part, the knowledge we accrete comes from others – this is the power of culture.
Exactly. In a highly specialized society, there's no way you can know everything. Literature? Economics? Medicine? Philosophy? We're all 99.9% ignorant, and it's pretty silly to criticize somebody else for not knowing the same 0.1% that you do.

It's a bit trite, but it's true: The more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

Davey

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2012, 04:32 pm »
Which points out the basic problem with that forum.  A mods' (primary) job is to monitor their forum so they can take action in a timely manner......without someone having to inform them at a later time.
Mart did a good job with that years back but, apparently, he doesn't have time for the forum now.  I can understand a person's priorities change, but a person needs to recognize that and ask for help.

Bardo, welcome to this Circle.

Cheers,

Dave.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2012, 04:39 pm »
Jim, my sincere hope is that the other place does not follow the course you outlined. I think the current conditions speak in support of the old yarn about their taking a mile if one gives them an inch. That inch needs to be taken back. Remember the history revealed by the URL – it's the MUG. At the risk of being pedantic, I feel there's a preciousness implicit in that fact.

In truth, we really ought to get off that topic. The success (for lack of a better word) of this place is not contingent upon the bankruptcy of the other. May they both live long and prosper (for want of a better cultural reference).

Josh, that's absolutely the truth - the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. Specialization is everywhere, precisely because it's good to have experts in specific disciplines. The participants of these forums represent a broad spectrum of job fields - the love of music, after all, is pretty common among our species.   

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2012, 04:50 pm »
Kevin360:

I agree to the extent that the other place needs to get its house in order and I see no signs of that.  More so, the bully you if you disagree mentality has become the rule of thumb and not the exception.  Nothing would please me more if Mart and whom ever, activity policed and corrected said behavior that was the turning point for several to leave and seek friendlier confines.  Steve Ford does an admirable job moderating this circle and no doubt, I've raised his eyebrows on more than one occasion.

At the same time, this circle is a bit self policing and that allows for true discussions where those in opposition don't get the sense of belittlement or do resentments brew and or fester.  I didn't realize how much a moderator goes through until I was granted a circle and had a contentious thread that brought out the best qualities of some, including myself. 

To clarify, I wish no ill will on any forum....

Jim

Pryso

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2012, 05:08 pm »
Hi Bardo, I'm also relatively new to the Circle but that's no reason I can't extend a welcome too.  :thumb:

My interest in Maggies was renewed about a year ago and since I was a regular reader at AA, I found lots of helpful info on Planar Asylum.  Now I come here often for similar reasons expressed by others.

I feel the biggest problem at AA is their size.  With the number of topic areas combined with the number of posters it is simply too much to monitor.  As far as I observed they rely on members raising complaints before they take action with questionable posts.

Since the Planar Circle is necessarily a more focused site, hopefully the size of membership will never become a problem.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2012, 09:45 pm »
Gentlemen (and ladies),
I appreciate the kind words but let's not beat up on other sites, please.
What happens on AA stays on AA - kind of like OJ Simpson in Las Vegas, ha, ha.
Sorry for the cheap shot.
Welcome to the forum and all of that kind of rot.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2012, 05:52 pm »
Steve, I think this is more of a general discussion about the need for rules and police in a society. (Anarchy is my idea of a dystopia.) This is especially true as a population grows. It's just a simple statistical fact that a larger community has a greater likelihood of containing a few 'bad apples' (and 'cheaters' (in the context of game theory)).

When 'the forefathers' design the framework for their society, a great deal of thought must be applied to the formalization of rules. It's sad to see a community in dissolution because the governors and police apparently no longer care about law. I make no imply of the lesser importance of this site if I feel a bit sentimental about the Magnepan User's Group – I am, after all, a Maggie fan(atic?).

The references made are important to the members we are welcoming (they were to me) – spoken as though I weren't a newbie myself :lol:. They also give clear evidence of the need for an active moderator – a service you so gently performed just prior to this, which I hope is not a violation of your directive. Apply this as an expression of appreciation for the level of interpersonal respect you preserve in this forum, and a wish for its continuance. Debates can only move if the topics are discussed sans ad hominems. I'm all for (rational) differences of opinion – such are catalysts of advancement. Besides, it often makes for interesting reading (as long as it doesn't get personal).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2012, 07:07 pm »
Let's just say that I'm aware that other sites have their problems which is why I came here and was then viciously browbeaten into setting this up.
Well, maybe I volunteered.

Speaking of problems, I just had a Winged "C" 6550 blow itself up which was a lot of fun.  It sounded like Gene Wilder was jump starting the monster in Young Frankenstein and it took out a 12AT7 and a 12BH7 for spite.
The torture never stops.

BruceSB

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2012, 01:13 am »
I guess that I am expressing the widely held view that this is a great place for planar people to be.
I see it as "home".
While I may, very occassionally, reply to some post over there I only post new stuff here, at home.
I think that the non-agressive/non-agro/non-chip-on-the-shoulder types who love planars and love people, have drifted and will continue to drift, over here.
I think that the key reason for this being a nice place to come and be informed and appreciated and share is our moderator, Steve.
I think the credit belongs to him.
We appreciate you Steve!
Keep up the good work!