Every once in awhile, my system provides...

jaxwired

Every once in awhile, my system provides...
« on: 10 May 2012, 03:34 am »
...an OMG night.  Tonight is such a night.  Does it get better???? 

BP26, 4bsst2, PMC OB1i.  Wow it sounds amazing tonight.  Remind me never to upgrade...  :D

Alpha10

Re: Every once in awhile, my system provides...
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 10:00 am »
Could not agree more, great combination  :D

I was listening to some Paolo Nutini last night after a hard day at work and just kept grinning..

BDP/BDA-SP3-4BSST2-OB1i's

Cheers

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 01:31 pm »

BP26, 4bsst2, PMC OB1i.  Wow it sounds amazing tonight.  Remind me never to upgrade...  :D

Jaxwired, I may have an answer to your question. I have never heard the OB1i, which I assume having read about it is great, but I did own IB2s. Can it get better? One can't tell because everything depends on your preferences and room. But if you like the PMC sound, which I love, it might get better for you. Think PMC MB2i, which I own and can't imagine giving up for any other speaker in my main system.

Dave

jaxwired

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 05:11 pm »
Hey Dave,

I'm planning to go to the IB2i when funds allow.  The MB2 is just too big for my needs.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 03:03 am »
I have those moments too sometimes.

Alpha10

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2012, 08:02 am »
Hey Dave,

I'm planning to go to the IB2i when funds allow.  The MB2 is just too big for my needs.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience on whether the 4BSST2 can drive IB2i's or if you really need 7B's??

Cheers

DaveNote

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2012, 12:38 pm »
Hey Dave,

Jaxwired, at first I thought the MB2 would overwhelm my room, then I talked to Bryston (the distributor here at the time) and was told that they work well in small rooms. It may be that the size of your room might not be the limiting factor for you. In any case, this line of PMCs are all based on its pro models which are often used in smaller rooms; sometimes, I believe, as near field speakers.

There's no question that MB2s are pricey, but since I've upgraded from the IB2s, and then upgraded from the MB2s to the MB2is, I certainly have no regrets. While I never say never about future upgrades, given how these speakers sound with my 7BSST Squared amps, I have a hard time seeing myself looking for different speakers for my main system.

On the other hand, I've been breaking in Axiom M80s V3 used in my second system, and I'm very impressed so far listening to them driven by an inexpensive Harmon Kardon receiver. I plan the ultimate test: hooking them up to the Bryston amps. Of course, if the M80s, at a small fraction of the price of the MB2is, sound as good as my big PMCs, I'll have to do myself an injury.

Dave

DaveNote

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2012, 12:46 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has any experience on whether the 4BSST2 can drive IB2i's or if you really need 7B's??

Cheers

Alpha, I never tried my old IB2s (before the "i" model) with any 4B model. I had only 7BSSts, but based on my experience with the jump from the MB2 to the MB2i, and subsequently, from the 7BSST to the Squared version, the greatest difference in terms of how the amps affect the speaker performance was due to the Squared amps IMO. James could answer your question but my guess is that the jump from the 4BSST2 to the 7BSST2 might not result in as dramatic an improvement.

Dave

Sasha

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2012, 01:02 pm »

Cheers
I had lengthy experience with 4B SST driving PMC IB2S, then 7B SST and finally 7B SST2, as well as single channel from 6B SST2 driving IB2i and 6B SST2 in tri-amp configuration on IB2i.
4B driving IB2S will produce less dynamic, less engaging and flat, dull sound when compared to 7B of either generation. Everything will suffer, not only LF (the commonly described difference).
I would rather have 7B SST (non square) than 4B SST2 for example.

Sasha

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2012, 01:03 pm »
Jaxwired, at first I thought the MB2 would overwhelm my room, then I talked to Bryston (the distributor here at the time) and was told that they work well in small rooms. It may be that the size of your room might not be the limiting factor for you. In any case, this line of PMCs are all based on its pro models which are often used in smaller rooms; sometimes, I believe, as near field speakers.

There's no question that MB2s are pricey, but since I've upgraded from the IB2s, and then upgraded from the MB2s to the MB2is, I certainly have no regrets. While I never say never about future upgrades, given how these speakers sound with my 7BSST Squared amps, I have a hard time seeing myself looking for different speakers for my main system.

On the other hand, I've been breaking in Axiom M80s V3 used in my second system, and I'm very impressed so far listening to them driven by an inexpensive Harmon Kardon receiver. I plan the ultimate test: hooking them up to the Bryston amps. Of course, if the M80s, at a small fraction of the price of the MB2is, sound as good as my big PMCs, I'll have to do myself an injury.

Dave

Please post your impressions of the ultimate test

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2012, 01:54 pm »
Yes, please.

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2012, 01:54 pm »
I had lengthy experience with 4B SST driving PMC IB2S, then 7B SST and finally 7B SST2, as well as single channel from 6B SST2 driving IB2i and 6B SST2 in tri-amp configuration on IB2i.
4B driving IB2S will produce less dynamic, less engaging and flat, dull sound when compared to 7B of either generation. Everything will suffer, not only LF (the commonly described difference).
I would rather have 7B SST (non square) than 4B SST2 for example.

And 28s would be the best, true?

rockadanny

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2012, 04:13 pm »
I am fortunate enough to say that my system provides me with that OMG feeling every night I fire it up. Magic. Ahh ...

Sasha

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2012, 04:22 pm »
And 28s would be the best, true?
I guess, have not tried, but IME more quality power is always good.

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2012, 04:23 pm »
Ok, and I agree.

mkaiser

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2012, 04:48 pm »

BP26, 4bsst2, PMC OB1i.  Wow it sounds amazing tonight.  Remind me never to upgrade... 
/quote]

Yes, it does!  Do not try ML Summit X with your front end and 4b...... your wife will kill you when you come home with them LOL!

Enjoy the music

Mark

DaveNote

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2012, 02:39 am »
In response to the request made by Sasha and Vegasdave, and for anyone else interested, I will be posting a review on this circle (under a new topic) with a review of the Axiom M80s, giving special emphasis on how they compare to my PMC MB2is, with both driven by my all Bryston system. Baring unforeseen circumstances, I hope to do this posting tomorrow.

Dave

vegasdave

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2012, 04:12 am »
Very cool! Thanks!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2012, 04:44 pm »
  Every once in awhile ?? Why would that be instead of all the time ? Time of Day ? mood? better recording ? All of the above ?
  Me too BTW. Whatever the reason ENJOY !!!!!

charles

DaveNote

« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2012, 07:05 pm »
For those who are interested, like Sasha and Vegasdave, who are interested in my review of the M80s pitting them against my PMC MB2is using my Bryston gear, it is now posted.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106431.0

Dave