OB-5 inspired senior design project

jdkane527

OB-5 inspired senior design project
« on: 4 May 2012, 11:56 am »
Hello, my name is Jeff.  I am a senior graduating from the University of Southern California.  As a ME, I took a EE loudspeaker design course taught by George Augspurger to fulfill my senior design requirement.  The course covers loudspeaker theory and design.  The final project is designing and fabricating a loudspeaker.  My partner and I had come across the old AV123 design of the X-Statik, and wanted to use that as our model.  It was the starting point for our design, and we wanted to build a high end speaker but for the budget minded audiophile.  The total cost for a pair came out to $500 using our components.  The crossover network on the OB-5 kit Danny sells utilizes higher quality components over the Dayton Audio capacitors and Jantzen inductors.  The Beston ribbon tweeter is around $40, less than the B&G Neo3 PDRW tweeter.

We got in touch with Danny regarding advice on the woofers for our project and decided to use the 16ohm versions of the M-130 woofers because we could not find a good 16 ohm woofer that could perform well in an open baffle configuration.  The Neo3 PDR tweeter was unavailable at the time, so we decided to try out the Beston RT002A dipole tweeter.  We were able to get samples of these tweeters to test directly from Beston as these won't be available in the market for a few months.  Our professor, George Augspurger recommended us that if we were running the mids and highs in open baffle, we should get an open back tweeter, and the Beston was only other tweeter within our budget for the project.

The cabinet was constructed using 5/8" Baltic Birch supplied from our school.  We didn't use much bracing besides strips of 5/8"x5/8" glued along the inside edges.  The internal volume was 33.8L (1.2 cu. ft) with a single 2" flared port tuned to 50hz on the backside.  The crossover points are at 400hz and 3500hz, which were based off testing with a microphone using a variable crossover box.  We stained it with a red mahogany on the front baffle and black on all remaining panels.  We really liked the x-statik color scheme and thought doing all one color would look really old fashioned.  The towers were finished with a semi-gloss afterwards.  We used a bi-amp terminal plate with 2 sets of connectors in the event we wanted to run the bass woofers off a separate channel from the mids and highs.

Below are pictures of our fabrication and graphs of our mid and high crossover and our measured frequency response for the closed back and open back Beston tweeters.  We did not have time during the course of the semester to get a good measure for the overall system response with the low-pass network in place, but I have ordered Dayton V2 Measuring equipment to objectively quantify the performance of our project speaker.  This was our first speaker we fabricated, and certainly won't be our last  :D

We would like to thank Danny at GR-Research for his help and advice, as well as our Professor George Augspurger for supporting us in our ambitious undertakings.

Solidworks Model

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/47803/2971100690099908742S600x600Q85.jpg

Constructed Cabinets (3/4)

Foaming

The interior of the cabinet was fully lined with 1" acoustic foam

Before finishing with semi-gloss

Finished and outfitted with drivers

Crossover

Blue line is the open back tweeter.  Black is closed back.

System Response for Mids and Highs

Overall system response, note the mids and highs are not as flat as in the previous graph.  The measuring environment was not ideal as there were 10+ groups playing music in the same room doing electrical testing for their systems as we were testing.  We hope to do another measurement when our testing microphone arrives.  The professor analyzed this plot and based off of our previous plot, assessed we have pretty good response down to 40-45hz.  Just redid the frequency sweep.  Response looks pretty good.

System Response

Incomplete frequency response

Overall we are really pleased with our results.  Previously I had been using Sony's current line of bookshelf and tower speakers and thought they sounded pretty good, prior to doing research into high end audio.  These were all driven by a Sony DHR-810 AV Receiver, connected to my computer through external Soundblaster X-Fi HD sound card.

Our project speakers are leagues ahead of the Sony's in terms of audio clarity and tightness of bass.  The Sony SSF6000 towers get loud bass response, but at a lack of refinement.  The vocals sound cleaner, mids more enveloping with a wider sound stage from the dipole design, and the bass cleaner.  Next upgrade I am looking at is the Peachtree Audio Nova DAC and Amplifier to complement these speakers.

Overall couldn't be happier with the finished speaker.
Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: 6 May 2012, 05:50 am by jdkane527 »

cedman1

Re: OB-5 inspired senior design project
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2012, 01:11 am »
This looks as though it was a fun project and successful for your class as well.  Thanks for sharing and posting the pics and graphs.

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2012, 01:17 am »
Nice work!  :thumb:

jdkane527

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2012, 03:16 am »
Thanks for the comments, it was a lot of fun working on these speakers, and this class was probably my favorite class during my undergrad.

The Peachtree Nova arrived today, and the Rosewood finish looks great.  Matches nicely with the Red Mahogany.

The tube circuit sounds nice, listening to Beatles FLAC songs, the tube makes the vocals sound warmer than the ss circuit on initial impressions.  A better assessment can be made after the amplifier burns in.  The speakers have had ~100hrs of use so far.

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2012, 03:35 am »
The Nova is a nice investment :thumb:

What kind of bracing does the X-Statiks have if any?  Why did you choose not to brace?

Nice build btw.  I'd love to hear them!

jdkane527

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2012, 03:47 am »
We didn't have enough wood to add as much bracing as there was in the OB-5.  Although the lumber was supplied by the school, we had a limit and building 4 towers we already went over our wood allotment and had to pay extra.

Below is the diagram of the bracing inside the OB-5

We used strips of wood along the edges to brace the panels.  You can see two braces in the picture below.

If we could do it again we would probably add a horizontal sheet in the middle that braced all 4 sides.  The enclosure is really stiff with the minimal amount of bracing we used.

persisting1

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2012, 03:54 am »
I totally get it.  So wish I took this class for undergrad  :duh: Yeah, I'm jealous.

What are the monitors in the Peachtree pic?

jdkane527

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2012, 04:01 am »
Those are small bookshelves my partner and I built before we finished constructing the towers.  It was an experimental speaker constructed using the Tang Band W5-704d woofer and Vifa XT25 tweeter crossed at 2900hz.  We wanted to see how miter cuts, sanding, and stain would turn out, as well as gain experience to improve our techniques so the towers would look as good as we could accomplish.  The port is on the top of the cabinet.  They have the same Red Mahogany stain with semigloss finish on the front and black on all other sides.  It is used as a center channel right now.

nickd

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2012, 10:57 pm »
Sheesh, had I known this class was available I would have stayed in school  :lol:

Nice work. I would enjoy to hearing more of your impressions on the open back Beston ribbon tweeter. It looks like a nice tweeter and well implemented in your project.

mpauly

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2012, 08:44 pm »
No kidding....I would have loved this class. 

We did have a one of my MechE classes based around a race go cart, so that was a close contender.

jdkane527

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2012, 06:32 pm »
The Beston ribbon tweeter sounds pretty nice in comparison to lower end dome tweeters and the Vifa BC25 or XT25.  The SPLs keep rising with the dipole version of the tweeter with increasing frequency, so with our professor's help we designed a 2nd order Butterworth filter with a Zobel network to help in flattening out the response.

I haven't listened to the Neo3PDRW so I can't do a direct comparison between the two.  We found in our research before we picked the tweeter that people said the Beston was easier to work with than the Neo3, so that appealed to us.  My partner and I haven't had experience using a router to make countersunk planes, so the spacing distance between the two top woofers in the MTM configuration would have had a larger distance than using the Beston because the waveguide is smaller on the Beston.  We wanted to keep the tweeter as close to ear level as possible because of the limited vertical dispersion so if we went with the Neo3, we would have had to make a taller front baffle.  The Beston allows us to make a more compact cabinet.  I would use it again.  They are a little on the delicate side though, my partner already burnt out two of his ribbon tweeters driving them hard. :(

We were wondering if there was a way to find OB-5 owners in the Southern California area, specifically around Los Angeles that would be open to doing a side by side comparison to see where differences in sound arise.

studiotech

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2012, 11:42 pm »
Nice project.  You are very fortunate to study under the esteemed Mr. Augspurger.  He is one of the greats of loudspeaker design from the golden age.  Many nice studios around the world have his creations.

Greg

www.phatplanetstudios.com

ttan98

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2012, 02:37 am »
The Beston ribbon tweeter sounds pretty nice in comparison to lower end dome tweeters and the Vifa BC25 or XT25. 

The Beston RT002A looks interesting, a few questions please:

1. How does it sound?
2. Did you just remove the back plate and then it becomes a true Dipole, or
    modify the ribbon to make it into a dipole?
3. How to you find the horizontal directivity of this ribbon any freq. response
   curve?

Thanks

jdkane527

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2012, 06:44 am »
1. How does it sound?

It sounds pretty good.  The crossover point is at 3,500hz, so not much content goes to the tweeter in music besides female vocals.  In movies it gets a decent amount of contents and sounds nice.

2. Did you just remove the back plate and then it becomes a true Dipole, or
    modify the ribbon to make it into a dipole?

The dipole version of this tweeter is a different version than the closed back version.  The dipole version is going to be available in the market soon.  I saw another guy on this forum contacted Beston to get this new tweeter in this thread. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102830.0
You can find out more info on their website here: http://www.ribbonspeaker.com.tw/ under products, it's the RT002A-dipolar tweeter.

3. How to you find the horizontal directivity of this ribbon any freq. response
   curve?

We have a frequency sweep for the dipolar and regular version that our professor helped us measure the response.  The dipolar tweeter is in blue, and the on-axis response is in the bold blue line.  The 30deg off-axis is the thinner blue line.

Peter at Beston sent me a frequency response with on-axis and off-axis, but I don't seem to be able to find it.  I'll post it up here when I find it.

ttan98

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2012, 05:18 am »
It sounds pretty good.  The crossover point is at 3,500hz, so not much content goes to the tweeter in music besides female vocals.  In movies it gets a decent amount of contents and sounds nice.

The dipole version of this tweeter is a different version than the closed back version.  The dipole version is going to be available in the market soon.  I saw another guy on this forum contacted Beston to get this new tweeter in this thread. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102830.0
You can find out more info on their website here: http://www.ribbonspeaker.com.tw/ under products, it's the RT002A-dipolar tweeter.

We have a frequency sweep for the dipolar and regular version that our professor helped us measure the response.  The dipolar tweeter is in blue, and the on-axis response is in the bold blue line.  The 30deg off-axis is the thinner blue line.

Peter at Beston sent me a frequency response with on-axis and off-axis, but I don't seem to be able to find it.  I'll post it up here when I find it.

Many thanks for the info I will have to follow up with Peter.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2012, 02:20 pm »
Great work guys!  It's probably too late now, so for your next build I strongly suggest some side-to-side bracing.  You could pick up wood cut-off scraps at Home Depot, or buy a small sheet of 3/4" MDF - college budget cheap :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2012, 03:32 pm »
Hank is correct fellows. The OB-5 has all of those braces in the lower section for a reason. Without the braces and especially with plywood sides (not MDF) those babies are really going to flex and add quite a bit of coloration to the sound.

Skiman

« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2012, 05:42 pm »
Now for the big question - What grade did you get? What was the grading criteria?

Wish there was a course like this when I went to school.

jdkane527

« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2012, 06:49 pm »
Hank is correct fellows. The OB-5 has all of those braces in the lower section for a reason. Without the braces and especially with plywood sides (not MDF) those babies are really going to flex and add quite a bit of coloration to the sound.

Next cabinet we build we will focus on adding bracing.  Thanks for the explanation Danny on the physics behind the use of bracing.

We got an A on the project, and an A overall in the class.
The final project was given as a presentation, where we presented to our professor George Augspurger, Scott Leslie from JBL, Neil Shaw from Menlo Scientific.  We had to present our reasoning for the design we chose, woofer and tweeter data, build info, crossover build, frequency responses, impedence plot, budget, and anything we learned from the project.