AKFest SoundScape 8's in black limba

jsalk

AKFest SoundScape 8's in black limba
« on: 1 May 2012, 07:18 pm »
We built a pair of SoundScape 8's for AKFest and used a new batch of black limba we had recently purchased.  John and Jill had ordered a pair of HT2-TL's in tineo that they were going to pick up at the event.  When they heard the SS8's, they wanted to know if they could purchase the SS8's instead.  So these are not available, although I thought I'd still share the pictures.

Here they are...

And a close-up...

Happy listening John and Jill (in May after I finish a replacement pair)...

- Jim

Austin08

Re: AKFest SoundScape 8's in black limba
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2012, 07:34 pm »
Congratulation JJ2, I am sure they wil give you many hours of listening enjoyment.

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2012, 08:00 pm »
I see what you did there Jim, so very sneaky....

Build both speakers with a similar veneer and then get them to listen to the SS8's....

Hahahaha    Is that a Bait and Switch maneauver.... ??!?!?!?!  LOL

Congrats John and Jill - Nothing compares to the beautiful sound of the SoundScapes...   

There is NO ESCAPING the SoundScape...    <---- New sales pitch...?/?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2012, 09:50 pm »
Jim,

How accurate is the color in this photo?  Is it less red/more yellow in reality?  I'm still working on trying to "calibrate" my perception with these photos.

Thanks .......Peter

jd3

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2012, 09:55 pm »
I see what you did there Jim, so very sneaky....

Build both speakers with a similar veneer and then get them to listen to the SS8's....

Hahahaha    Is that a Bait and Switch maneauver.... ??!?!?!?!  LOL

Congrats John and Jill - Nothing compares to the beautiful sound of the SoundScapes...   

There is NO ESCAPING the SoundScape...    <---- New sales pitch...?/?

Warp,
Great slogan!  I love it!  I'd actually been considering SS8's but figured I'd better go with HT2's based on cost.  Once we heard them though, we decided it was well worth the upgrade, and Jim was gracious enough to let us do that.  Can't wait to get them at the end of the month.

John

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2012, 10:03 pm »
Jim,

How accurate is the color in this photo?  Is it less red/more yellow in reality?  I'm still working on trying to "calibrate" my perception with these photos.

Thanks .......Peter

They look fairly realistic on my monitor.  Of course, I processed them on my monitor to begin with.

- Jim

Kinger

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2012, 10:20 pm »
Congrats John.  You certainly went all out for this pair.  Wish my wife would understand why spending 8k on a set of speakers is "ok" :)

pstrisik

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2012, 10:30 pm »
They look fairly realistic on my monitor.  Of course, I processed them on my monitor to begin with.

- Jim

:scratch: Hmm.  I wish I lived in Michigan!!  On my monitor, the tone in this photo is a fairly neutral brown with just a hint of red.  It has looked more yellowish in the show photos.

John, what do you think about the color representation?

On another note....  What do you all think about this for a half grill idea?

.........Peter

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2012, 10:36 pm »

.........Peter

If not for my 4 yrs old son then I do not need a grill. I think the speaker look nicer with the grill off.

jd3

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2012, 11:31 pm »
:scratch: Hmm.  I wish I lived in Michigan!!  On my monitor, the tone in this photo is a fairly neutral brown with just a hint of red.  It has looked more yellowish in the show photos.

John, what do you think about the color representation?

.........Peter
Peter,
I think they may be a just a bit lighter with maybe a little more yellow.  Depends on the lighting I think.
Jim has done some grilles for the woofers only on some speakers.  (See some of the HT3's).  I'm sure he'll do whatever you want.

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2012, 11:38 pm »
Congrats to John and Jill and welcome to the Salk family!  Those are simply amazing!  Please post pictures of them in your home when they are all set up.  I look forward to further impressions.

pstrisik

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2012, 11:42 pm »
Thanks John. 

I'm just playing around with the grill idea.  Jim posted about grills in another thread and talked about not using grills, except for over woofers where they won't affect the sound.  Given my difficulty with decisions, I may ask for both grills! 
:tempted:  :banghead:

.......Peter

jd3

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2012, 12:49 am »
Congrats to John and Jill and welcome to the Salk family!  Those are simply amazing!  Please post pictures of them in your home when they are all set up.  I look forward to further impressions.
Thanks, but these will be my 5th pair of Jim's speakers...I've been in the 'family' for a while!

I'll be sure to take some pics and give a review after I get them in a month.

jd3

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2012, 12:55 am »
Thanks John. 

I'm just playing around with the grill idea.  Jim posted about grills in another thread and talked about not using grills, except for over woofers where they won't affect the sound.  Given my difficulty with decisions, I may ask for both grills! 
:tempted:  :banghead:

.......Peter

I know Jim recommends leaving the grilles off when listening, and I've always done that.  I had one pair (HT1-TL prototypes) that didn't come with grilles.  I know there are some here that leave them on all the time as well.  Your preference.  Might as well have them and you can decide!

John

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2012, 03:05 am »
Thanks, but these will be my 5th pair of Jim's speakers...I've been in the 'family' for a while!

I'll be sure to take some pics and give a review after I get them in a month.
Doh, sorry buddy.  It's my standard line whenever someone gets a pair of Salk speakers.

jd3

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2012, 09:51 am »
Doh, sorry buddy.  It's my standard line whenever someone gets a pair of Salk speakers.
No problem!!  Just figured you knew I wasn't a Salk 'newbie' :)

I'm really excited to step up to the SS8's.  After listening to Pete's in his dedicated room I'm really anticipating getting them.  Even though I don't have the greatest room to set them up in at the house we're renting, I'm sure they will sound great!  I hope to use them in a dedicated room in the house we buy in the next couple months. 

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2012, 01:05 pm »
No problem!!  Just figured you knew I wasn't a Salk 'newbie' :)

I'm really excited to step up to the SS8's.  After listening to Pete's in his dedicated room I'm really anticipating getting them.  Even though I don't have the greatest room to set them up in at the house we're renting, I'm sure they will sound great!  I hope to use them in a dedicated room in the house we buy in the next couple months. 

I do - just didn't  pay close enough attention to the name because I was using my phone to post.  You're like a 5-time Salk MVP. :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2012, 02:18 pm »
I do - just didn't  pay close enough attention to the name because I was using my phone to post.  You're like a 5-time Salk MVP. :D

That means I better buy something pretty soon or he'll catch me. :weights: :whip:

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2012, 02:46 pm »
That means I better buy something pretty soon or he'll catch me. :weights: :whip:

If he's the MVP then you're a hall-of-famer. ;)

jd3

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2012, 03:39 pm »

Better hurry because I'm thinking about those WOW1's that were at the show! :lol: