RM30 as Center Channel

sbcgroup1

RM30 as Center Channel
« on: 19 May 2004, 07:20 pm »
Any other votes out there for using an RM30 instead of the LRC for a center channel in between the RM40's in a 7.1 system?

-sbc

pjchappy

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2004, 07:24 pm »
I'll vote for it. . .

The 40s have 4 mid panels and the 30s have 3. . .I've heard the 30 will match up better w/ the 40 as a center channel as a result.  The LRC only has 1 of the mids. . .

p

jgubman

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2004, 08:26 pm »
I think it'd be a great center channel, only reservation I have is *if* you're going to use the speaker horizontally (it's designed to be used vertically) the drivers won't be symetrical at all. You'll have your tweeters at one end and the bass drivers 40" away on the other end of the speaker. Rick's photo illustrates this:
http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=2528" border="0" />

However, my reservations could be totally unfounded as Rick and others don't seem to notice any integration problems. Check this post:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8894&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10#78473

If I had 48" underneath my TV or a projector screen, I'd buy the RM-30C and sell my LRC, as it is, I sit pretty close to my center speaker (roughly 9 feet) and am scared that a horizontal RM-30C (RM-30CH??) wouldn't sound "right".

I do agree, however, that the LRC doesn't stand up to RM-40s. The 40s have a tendency to overpower the LRC when everything's going.

sbcgroup1

RM30-C
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2004, 08:36 pm »
RM30-C? They make one of those?

-Ed

jgubman

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2004, 08:40 pm »
Yeah, the RM-30 comes with a 10" megawoofer mounted on it's side. The RM-30C doesn't have the 10" megawoofer and can optionally have the FST tweeter rotated 90 degrees (for horizontal placement).

The RM-30C is what's in the photo above.

This is an RM-30:
http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/a/f/1084657154.jpg" />

ctviggen

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2004, 09:16 pm »
I'm to receive my RM-40s and my RM30C (used as a center channel) in a few weeks, and I'll report back then.

pjchappy

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2004, 09:33 pm »
I mentioned this before. . .how about the ultimate. . .an RM-40C. . .how about it, Brian?   :mrgreen:

p

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm40c
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2004, 11:11 pm »
No plans for a larger center channel than the RM30C.

John Casler

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2004, 12:10 am »
Quote from: pjchappy
I mentioned this before. . .how about the ultimate. . .an RM-40C. . .how about it, Brian?   :mrgreen:

p

Actually the RM40 has been, and can be used horizontally.  I would assume that Big B could "rotate" the FST tweeter 90 degrees in it, just as easily as in the RM30.

While huge and heavy, it is more "center channel ready" in driver configuration than the RM30, being a WMMTMMW design.

pjchappy

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2004, 04:45 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Actually the RM40 has been, and can be used horizontally.  I would assume that Big B could "rotate" the FST tweeter 90 degrees in it, just as easily as in the RM30.

While huge and heavy, it is more "center channel ready" in driver configuration than the RM30, being a WMMTMMW design.

Yeah, the symmetrical layout of the RM40 is why I suggested this. . .all would need to be done to make it 'look' at its best would be to take out the PR and finish it like the RM30C. . . .

John, by the way, I haven't heard back from you from my PM 2 days ago. . . :wink:

p

John Casler

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2004, 06:45 am »
John, by the way, I haven't heard back from you from my PM 2 days ago. . .  

Sorry, check your PM's

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
RM30C center works splendidly
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2004, 03:16 am »
The RM30C (with endcap same size as the cabinet) horizontally sited atop an RPTV blows away the LRC (demo for sale).  I could & would never go back.  An RM30C is only $375 MSRP more than a similarly equipped LRC, & worth every penny, IMO.  Only when/if you are standing about 3' or closer to the RM30C's 6.5s is the driver blending lacking. It took me awhile to adapt psychologically to the unsymmetrical driver array.    

Because of my room's large 30Hz mode, on my RM30C I removed the base, passives & the passive liners, then screwed the endcap where the passives were located (the 3-piece boundary forming the slot was left off).  The sound improved overall quite a bit.

ctviggen

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2004, 11:59 am »
One thing I'm wondering is how do adjust the putty when using an RM30C as a center?  While I have a DVD-A player, my preamp (Proceed AVP) doesn't support the DVD-A.  So, how do I adjust the putty when I don't really have a source to use to adjust it?  I do have some Stevie Ray DVDs and one Blue Man Group DVD (only one song -- although it has excellent bass in all speakers) I might use.  

What I plan to do is run a 40Hz crossover for all speakers (RM40s, RM30c, and Linn 5140) during home theater mode and see what happens.  So, I assume that I'll need to make some adjustment.

Marbles

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2004, 12:48 pm »
Just play it some, if you notice it sounding boomy, just remove some putty until it doesn't.

Pretty easy actually.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2004, 06:22 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
One thing I'm wondering is how do adjust the putty when using an RM30C as a center?  While I have a DVD-A player, my preamp (Proceed AVP) doesn't support the DVD-A.  So, how do I adjust the putty when I don't really have a source to use to adjust it?  I do have some Stevie Ray DVDs and one Blue Man Group DVD (only one song -- although it has excellent bass in all speakers) I might use.  

What I plan to do is run a 40Hz crossover for all speakers (RM40s, RM30c, and Linn 5140) during home theater mode and see what happens.  So, I assume that I'll need to make some adjustment.

I'm curious what other's experience has been.  Several HT systems with RM2s/LRC/LSW sounded better with even the 2s high-passed at 80Hz.  Personally, because of my room's 30Hz mode, the sound improved on the center when I changed it to a sealed system (easily done).  My L-R are RM30M's with a special input wiring that allows a seperate outboard bass amp/active XO/EQ for only the MWs.  It works great for now, -3dB is 24Hz & bass power just almost equal to the RM40s.  I am getting the latest '04 Sunfire True SW EQ Signature (mic & digital EQ for flat response at the prime listening position).  I will try it with sealed versions of RM30C's in the L-R positions.  The sub should have quick enough response at its XO frequency of about 40Hz.  If so, this particular system (3x RM30, Bipole Surrounds, Sunfire Sub) should provide premium performance for its exterior dimensions.

pjchappy

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2004, 06:26 pm »
I thought all RM30Cs had no PR (sealed)????

p

Marbles

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2004, 07:18 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
I thought all RM30Cs had no PR (sealed)????

p

Mine has 2 PR's with putty only on the one closest to the opening.

I currently XO at 50hz (global XO) to subwoofers on this center and my surrounds.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2004, 08:03 pm »
All OEM RM30C have two 6-1/2" passive radiators.  I modified mine into sealed systems, relatively easy operation.

ctviggen

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2004, 08:11 pm »
I also tried crossing over my current setup at a variety of different points, and I also thought -- at the time -- that a crossover of 80 Hz worked well for all speakers.  I'm not sure why, as the specs for the front go much loser than that and the CC even goes fairly low.  I'll try multiple crossover points again, once I receive my VMPS speakers.  My preamp only has one crossover setting for all speakers subject to the crossover, though.

RickRichardson

RM30 as Center Channel
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2004, 08:22 pm »
RibbonSpeakers.net

Is any kind of gasket necessary when you put the end cap on to seal off the old PR's?  I assume you want to seal the cabinet.