Eastern Electric Minimax DAC opamp rolling thread

pjnad

Re: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC opamp rolling thread
« Reply #60 on: 17 Apr 2012, 12:57 am »
@paul: is everything hooked up like before? check all the connections.

Problem solved yesterday after messaging with Dan Wright of Modwright...seems that there is a molex connector on the rectifier board that can come loose, mine did. Simple to reconnect and voila...music again!

NickS

« Reply #61 on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:28 am »
Problem solved yesterday after messaging with Dan Wright of Modwright...seems that there is a molex connector on the rectifier board that can come loose, mine did. Simple to reconnect and voila...music again!

Glad that your Dac is fixed.

Is Dan doing mods on the EE Dac?

Sperandeo

« Reply #62 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:29 am »
I ordered both Burson and Dexa's - complete set of each.  Almost $600.

I ordered the same compete set.

I listened to the Dexas for 2 days and now I'm spending 2 days with the Burson.

The difference with the original EE DAC plus op amps and with both these new op-amps is day and night, massive improvement, not slight...HUGE.

I will post more impressions, once I've spent more time with them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #63 on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:05 am »
I ordered the same compete set.

I listened to the Dexas for 2 days and now I'm spending 2 days with the Burson.

The difference with the original EE DAC plus op amps and with both these new op-amps is day and night, massive improvement, not slight...HUGE.

I will post more impressions, once I've spent more time with them.

That's what they are telling me.  Can't wait to get them.

TJHUB

« Reply #64 on: 17 Apr 2012, 11:20 am »
I ordered both Burson and Dexa's - complete set of each.  Almost $600.

Can't wait for your impressions of both.  Specifically, a comparison of the two. 

pjnad

« Reply #65 on: 17 Apr 2012, 11:42 am »
Glad that your Dac is fixed.

Is Dan doing mods on the EE Dac?

It was my preamp that was faulty, not the dac. I posted here hoping that maybe someone could help me narrow down the issue before I knew it was the preamp...and no Dan is not doing anything with the dac. i have rolled some opamps, I'm using 2107/827 combo and it sounds pretty good. I just ordered a Psvane tube to try in place of the Amperex i'm currently using.

groovybassist

« Reply #66 on: 17 Apr 2012, 01:57 pm »
I've had the Dexas in for a week or two and while I'll say they sound better than the stock opamps, I wouldn't characterize the improvement as huge.  Inserting an Audio Art Statement I power cord on my amp made a bigger change and the amp already had a decent power cord on it.  YMMV...

Bigfishhk

« Reply #67 on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:11 pm »
I just ordered a Psvane tube to try in place of the Amperex i'm currently using.
[/color]

Please let me know your impressions of the Psvane tube.
thanks
TOm

pjnad

« Reply #68 on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:23 pm »

Please let me know your impressions of the Psvane tube.
thanks
TOm
I'd be happy to. It shipped yesterday, so knowing Canada post  ( we have family there ), it might be well over a week before it arrives...

Sperandeo

« Reply #69 on: 17 Apr 2012, 03:52 pm »
I've had the Dexas in for a week or two and while I'll say they sound better than the stock opamps, I wouldn't characterize the improvement as huge.  Inserting an Audio Art Statement I power cord on my amp made a bigger change and the amp already had a decent power cord on it.  YMMV...

Do you have the EE DAC Plus?

Are you running it in SS or Tube?

Do you have the tube pulled out of the DAC?

groovybassist

« Reply #70 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:04 pm »
Dac+, running the SS out, with tube pulled.

Sperandeo

« Reply #71 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:26 pm »
Dac+, running the SS out, with tube pulled.

It's amazing that it's only a small difference that your hearing between the Dexas and the stock op-amp.

I ran the PSvane tube for a while and it was okay. When I pulled the tube the difference was very noticable (for the better), then when I put in the Dexa the change was massive. I am now running the Burson, they are also special. I feel like everything has really opened up. I really think that the margin of difference may have to do with all the other components as well.

groovybassist

« Reply #72 on: 17 Apr 2012, 05:10 pm »
Certainly our systems, personal preferences, grading scale for changes, etc. play a role in determining whether we as individuals call something massive or subtle.  In my system, pulling the tube out wrought a larger change than swapping opamps.  The DAC sounds better with the Dexas, no doubt, but to me, it's not on the order of changing a component or something like that.

As another data point, the rest of the system is an Aaron No.1.a integrated amp, driving Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 speakers, interconnects and power cables are Audio Art SE or Statement versions, and power conditioning is supplied by a Shunyata Hydra.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #73 on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm »
Can't wait for your impressions of both.  Specifically, a comparison of the two.

I hope to hear impressions from both of you guys. (who ordered the same set)

@pjnad: im glad everything is up and running.

Levi

« Reply #74 on: 18 Apr 2012, 01:35 pm »
Good point Mike. Not trying to judge how many post or how long the person has been here on AC.  We also need to look at how credible the person giving their subjective impressions. This helps to know where this person is coming from so it is easier to relate if the information given can be replicated.  Some system introduction maybe needed. 

Certainly our systems, personal preferences, grading scale for changes, etc. play a role in determining whether we as individuals call something massive or subtle.  In my system, pulling the tube out wrought a larger change than swapping opamps.  The DAC sounds better with the Dexas, no doubt, but to me, it's not on the order of changing a component or something like that.

As another data point, the rest of the system is an Aaron No.1.a integrated amp, driving Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 speakers, interconnects and power cables are Audio Art SE or Statement versions, and power conditioning is supplied by a Shunyata Hydra.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #75 on: 19 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm »
Looky what showed up today:

TJHUB

« Reply #76 on: 20 Apr 2012, 12:21 am »
AWESOME!!!!! :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #77 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:46 pm »
Been there done that. I am not surprised why am not excited about them. LOL...

TJHUB

« Reply #78 on: 20 Apr 2012, 08:36 pm »
Been there done that. I am not surprised why am not excited about them. LOL...

Meh... What do YOU know?  :P

mjosef

« Reply #79 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:01 am »
You guys should understand that Levi's DAC has quite a few modifications, and his results may not reflect what the stock unit with just the opamps upgrades will offer.
In short, Levi's EE DAC is one of the best I have heard in my short lifetime in DAC-Land.