A Game of Inches!

medium jim

A Game of Inches!
« on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:49 am »
Today I moved my MG2.5R's a mere 6 inches forward and played 3 CD that I'm very familiar with; Donald Fagan's Kamakiriad, Steely Dan's Countdown to Ecstasy & Katy Lied.  My goodness, I was hearing much more micro detail and subtleties and there simply put was more dynamics and energy.  The center stage was more expansive and overall was greater resolution.

It was like going getting upgraded to the orchestra pit from the 10th row!

My room is 16x15x8.5 and I use the 15' wide as the front wall.  I now have the Maggie's 4' off the front wall and 3.5' in from the side walls...this means that the panels are 8' across and I have the ribbons on the inside. 

My listening position is 8' away which leaves 4' behind me.  I have furniture on both sides about 4' in front of the panels on the side walls to defuse the 1st wave and have acoustic foam panels on the front walls behind Maggie's. as room treatments.

There are windows on the back wall that I have heavily draped as well. 

I have to think the 6" move forward really caused a lot to happen in a good way, but I've always known that you want to get Maggie's into the room as much as practical and have discovered that even a few inches can be a game changer!

Don't be afraid to move your Maggie's every now and then to see if you can find a better Feng Shui.  Heck, I spent a month of trial and error to get them where I thought they were the best prior to the latest revelation.

Jim

satie

Re: A Game of Inches!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:44 am »
Are your front wall panels removable?

I was thinking that if you are trying out tweaking your placement you should try this:

This still might work with the treatments in place but would be slightly more likely to work without them:

Pull your speakers out from the front walls a few more feet to the 6.5' mark, orient them straight ahead (no toe in) tweeters in, and start moving them towards the side walls till the centerfill falls apart or the outside of the frame has reached within 5-6" of the side walls.

Move your listening seat to the back of the room, about 2' from the back wall.

Toe in a little if necessary. It should provide you with a rather stable "walk through" soundstage that is both disproportionately wide and deep relative to the speaker placement distance.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:03 am »
I guess we've had similar experiences  :lol:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91133.0

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:05 am »
Hi Satie:

Unfortunately, it is not a dedicated room for music or I would try your setup suggestions.  If I ever have the luxury of a dedicated room, I will try a bunch of setups, such as the Rooze, 180 degree, etc.

Jim

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:07 am »
Move them to 4.14' from the side wall (measured to the center of the panel) and 5.25' from the front wall and report back.  Ignore satie's post, I'm right.

Just kidding satie, at least about ignoring your post.  My figures are from the Cardas dipole speaker placement calculator http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring which I've been playing with lately to good effect.  I'm still experimenting with placement schemes and would be interested if you could expand on your theory a bit.  It looks very interesting, 40% out from the front wall and almost at the side wall, hmmm.  I'd have to swap out from using the long wall behind the speakers to the short wall, but I've been looking for an excuse to try that.

M-Jim, as noted above I've been experimenting and have literally been moving my Maggies every day for the last two or three weeks, maybe more.  You're right, a few inches makes a world of difference.  I've also found you can throw out all the rules for toe in, up to and including having the speakers face each other and even facing the edges directly at you.  Presently they are toed out about 30°.  Have fun.

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:14 am »
There can only be generalizations as each room will have different acoustic properties.  I have just enough toe-in as to create a nice center stage.

I read the linked thread and gained some more insights.

Jim

satie

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2012, 08:03 am »
Move them to 4.14' from the side wall (measured to the center of the panel) and 5.25' from the front wall and report back.  Ignore satie's post, I'm right.

Just kidding satie, at least about ignoring your post.  My figures are from the Cardas dipole speaker placement calculator http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring which I've been playing with lately to good effect.  I'm still experimenting with placement schemes and would be interested if you could expand on your theory a bit.  It looks very interesting, 40% out from the front wall and almost at the side wall, hmmm.  I'd have to swap out from using the long wall behind the speakers to the short wall, but I've been looking for an excuse to try that.

M-Jim, as noted above I've been experimenting and have literally been moving my Maggies every day for the last two or three weeks, maybe more.  You're right, a few inches makes a world of difference.  I've also found you can throw out all the rules for toe in, up to and including having the speakers face each other and even facing the edges directly at you.  Presently they are toed out about 30°.  Have fun.

The idea came from Limage on this HK site, a summary of his method is given here:
http://forum.1pekingroad.com/zaspx/topics.aspx?topicsno=3

How it looks is provided in the pics throughout the planar forum at 1pekingroad.com

http://www.1pekingroad.com/zaspx/replies.aspx?PageNo=1&topicsno=4&subjectno=1190&uppersubjectno=1190&sortby=updatedate&orderby=asc

Limage seems to convert anyone that comes into his room to this placement method and topography.

gallantdiva on audiogon is a recent convert and wrote up a really useful guide:
http://www.audioworld.com/sw/Forum1/HTML/008195.html

I don't use this set up at the moment, I have everything curved to aim at me in time aligned fashion - equidistant drivers and 1st order slopes. I tried it before with good results, but it was not practical for the room as it was still my office and the arrangement stuck the speakers right beside the desk, so I would turn from my PC and my face would be smack in the speaker. My setup does most of what the Limage setup does, but with slightly more precision in images - at the cost of some soundstage expanse and it being further back perhaps more so then I would like, and having less depth.

I should really set that up again and see what I've been missing the past few years. I can return it to the current setup if I resume using the space for an office.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 03:42 pm by satie »

ptmconsulting

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm »
Welcome to the planar parade. It was said to me long ago by some learned Maggie owners that it takes a good year of moving them about by inches to finally settle on the right spot. And then adjusting room treatments and the tweeter resistor to balance out transparency vs tonality.

All in the name of audiophile enjoyment though, so not really a chore as much as "playing in the hobby".

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:02 pm »
Welcome to the planar parade. It was said to me long ago by some learned Maggie owners that it takes a good year of moving them about by inches to finally settle on the right spot. And then adjusting room treatments and the tweeter resistor to balance out transparency vs tonality.

All in the name of audiophile enjoyment though, so not really a chore as much as "playing in the hobby".

This is my 2nd run with Maggie's and it was a lot easier to find the initial spot, this is probably the 4th spot in the last 4 months, by far the best.  The irony is that the bass got better eventhough there was no altercations made to the subs.  That was an unexpected surprise!

Jim

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:29 pm »
One thing I've noticed both with Magnepans and MartinLogan speakers is getting the placement from speaker to speaker as accurate as possible. i.e. if you have one panel four feet, four and a half inches from the rear wall at the outside edge and four feet three inches at the inside edge, try and get the other speaker as close that dimension as possible. 

This seems to help imaging as well as bass response, though it seems to affect the ML bass response more than the Maggies.

Give it a try and see what you think!

berni

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:44 pm »

note that soulsonic is also gallantdiva on audiogon. He is a recent convert and wrote up a really useful guide:
http://www.audioworld.com/sw/Forum1/HTML/008195.html

I don't use this set up at the moment, I have everything curved to aim at me in time aligned fashion - equidistant drivers and 1st order slopes. I tried it before with good results, but it was not practical for the room as it was still my office and the arrangement stuck the speakers right beside the desk, so I would turn from my PC and my face would be smack in the speaker. My setup does most of what the Limage setup does, but with slightly more precision in images - at the cost of some soundstage expanse and it being further back perhaps more so then I would like, and having less depth.

I should really set that up again and see what I've been missing the past few years. I can return it to the current setup if I resume using the space for an office.
@satie , as far as I know soulsonic  is the actual manufacturer of Soulsonic speakers Mr. Krajnc Miro from Slovenia, gallantdiva is a owner of some Apogee Diva-s I think from Texas, so you must got it wrong.
But when we talk about the distance from the front wall at dipoles, we can say that unless we are 7 feet away we are still to close, whatever experience we gain from moving them out. Why is it so hard to pull them out and try it? Some 2 minutes of work? If you don't like(I doubt) you can still bring them closer.

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:57 pm »
Berni:

Some rooms have physical limitations that preclude getting them in the room as far as possible. 

TONEPUB:

I agree that symmetry is of the utmost importance with Planars.  My thinking is that by moving my particular pair up just 6" that it was now in balance in that I'm now 4' in several key area's, 4' off the front wall, listening position 4' off the back wall, the first wave reflections are now at 4', and the listening distance is 8' with the planels 8' across.   

Just maybe, all of the balancing points is a factor in any set-up of Planars.  I know that if I move to a different room size that that will be a consideration.

One of the endearing facets of Planars is that even when set up poorly, they still will bring a smile, but when done right can be downright wonderful.

While we reference the speaker/Panel placement so much, it can often be easier to simply move the listening position as well.   Heck, just moving the ears up or down a few inches can arise to dramatic aural changes.  For me, ears right at the mid point or slightly above for the best tonality, resolution and instrument/vocal placement.

Jim

Davey

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:03 pm »
Yes indeed, "gallantdiva" is actually a fellow Apogee owner/enthusiast who resides/works in Texas.  Super nice guy who I've talked to many times.

Cheers,

Dave.

berni

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:11 pm »
@medium
Of course there are room limitations, but often we see large rooms and people sitting more then 12 feet away, speakers not wide apart and only 2-3 feet from the wall.
But even in smaller rooms the HK setup is a good try. It is better to be closer to speakers then speakers closer to wall, that's a fact.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 06:47 pm by berni »

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:16 pm »
Berni:

Oh I agree and that is why I find it silly when some people buy smaller Planars instead of bigger ones because they have been told small room=small planar.  Bigger Planars are just better no matter the room dimensions!

Jim

satie

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:40 pm »
Re Gallantdiva and Miro/soulsonic confusion.

I'll fix my post since I don't know either of them personally, I just found the writing style and content to be really too similar to be anything other than the same person. But then, I did not spend that much time reading things carefully. I was looking for placement discussions.

OK now I remember, soulsonic is Miro of soulsonic speakers. http://www.soulsonicspeakers.com/impulse.html
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm by satie »

josh358

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:37 am »
My listening position is 8' away which leaves 4' behind me.  I have furniture on both sides about 4' in front of the panels on the side walls to defuse the 1st wave and have acoustic foam panels on the front walls behind Maggie's. as room treatments.

Jim, you might consider replacing the front wall foam with QRD diffusers at the tweeters' first reflection points. Some people do prefer absorption there, but most seem to prefer diffusion, which makes the room acoustically larger.

medium jim

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:43 am »
Jim, you might consider replacing the front wall foam with QRD diffusers at the tweeters' first reflection points. Some people do prefer absorption there, but most seem to prefer diffusion, which makes the room acoustically larger.

Josh:

Actually to be more precise, I have both diffusion in the way of a couple of wood media storage racks, as well as the, the acoustic foam.  The racks are in the center and do catch a lot of the ribbons and the foam to a lesser extent, mostly the back waves from the panels.

It seems to be working fine.

Jim

Jim

josh358

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:42 pm »
You could try arranging your media in a QRD pattern. That would give you real diffusion, rumors notwithstanding books and albums tend to be more absorptive than diffusive.

The objective here would be to give you a bigger soundstage and cleaner sound. Absorption will give you clean sound, but the soundstage will hav eless depth so it will tend to favor more intimate recordings. Some people who listen to chamber music prefer it for that reason. Since neither will work for everything, I think it's a personal choice, depending on the music you most listen to. Some recording studios actually have doors you can open to change from diffusion to absorption when a more intimate acoustic is desired.

medium jim

« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2012, 04:14 pm »
Josh:

For CD's and are both vertical and horizontal.

Jim