SHOULD ONE BUY NEW OR BUY USED AUDIO EQUIPMENT?

audiobat

SHOULD ONE BUY NEW OR BUY USED AUDIO EQUIPMENT?
« on: 16 Mar 2012, 07:52 pm »
I am wondering what the prevailing philosophy is among Audio Circler's, do you buy used or new high end audio equipment?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: SHOULD ONE BUY NEW OR BUY USED AUDIO EQUIPMENT?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2012, 07:56 pm »
Depends. If there's something I covet and I can't afford new, of course I'll buy used.

Doc.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:07 pm »

Almost every thing I've purchased is pre-loved  :thumb:

enginesix

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:09 pm »
except for speakers and sub, all of my equipment is used.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:13 pm »
Entirely up to you. Are you seeking a list of pros and cons?

There are no rules but there are rules of thumb. I have some industry connections that may influence my choice but in general I go used. The first owner usually takes a depreciation hit much larger than subsequent owners must bear upon exchange.

Some people just like to open a new box. Some are scared of getting a lemon from a disgruntled owner. Some are guided by their spending capacity. And the smart ones, like the esteemed DougS, buy used at a price they know they can recoup. That allows them to try it for free.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:33 pm »
Hi.
I am wondering what the prevailing philosophy is among Audio Circler's, do you buy used or new high end audio equipment?

First off, I don't believe there is such thing as "prevailing philosophy" in AC for pre-owned or brandname equipment preference.

The general consent is:-

We pay brandname product price & in return we will get free service or free replacement within the specified warranty period. Or even return for full refund if we are not happy with it.

For pre-owned equipment, the above benifits may be compromised. We may still get part or full benifits above if it were purchased from an established audio store.

For private sales, buddie, get ready money to fix it in case it breaks down.
Return/refund seldom happens for private sales.

No free lunch, bud.

That said, my Dynaco PAS-2 & ST-70 are both 50-year+ old now & preowned. They sing like a nightingale after my thorough upgrade.

c-J

DaveyW

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:52 pm »
I've gone both routes over the years.

Other than the TT all of my main system components (Amplification, CD & speakers) are dealer bought.

With patience and research buying used can get you a great system at a bargain price, but more open to trial and error in terms of system matching and room synergy.
My 2nd rig is built up on this basis.

Using a local dealer though, especially one that lets you trial at home, might be more costly, but should get you better results more quickly.
I've found this especially so with speakers.

Cheers
Dave

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2012, 09:08 pm »
My TT and related upgrades were previously owned, as was a preamp I previously owned. All the rest of my gear was purchased new. I take it on a case-by-case basis, and usually hold onto my gear for a while.

SteveRB

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2012, 09:52 pm »
i lean towards going used. Although you cannot return an item, it is usually easy to resell it without a loss. I always go new when it comes to highly fragile and limited life items like cartridges.

I find the hobby is more fun when used gear is the primary part of a system. New gear represents more of an 'investment'. I have friends who go new gear only and they get very precious with their purchases and are less willing to try different gear based on competing theories and approaches. They will often not admit to weakness in the playback because they are so fully invested in the new purchase. Used gear seems to have a bit more of a casualness that can be appealing.

Also, it is sometimes very easy to get cheap package deals with pricy accessories or upgrades 'thrown' into the deal. If one was to price out a VPI Classic with, arm, record clamp, periphery clamp, power conditioner and cover the cost would be extraordinary. However, if you're patient you can get a package deal from someone unloading the system as one unit.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm »
Used speakers 90% of the time.
New source gear 99% of the time.
Luck 100% of the time. :icon_lol:

simoon

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm »
Only my speakers were bought new.

Everything else was bought used off the Bay.

My philosophy is that if I don't like the product in my system, I can always turn around and resell it on the Bay. I never buy anything over market value, so I will always get my money back out of it.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm »
You should only buy new. Everyone should buy new. That makes for a better used market for me.
Can't believe I got this in first.

decal

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:35 pm »
Most of the equipment I'm interested in at the moment is not available new. All my stuff I have now is pre-owned except my TT and phono preamp. I just ordered a new set of speakers from Tyler Acoustics also. To answer your query, no, there's not a prevailing philosophy as to buying new or used here or anywhere else as far as I can tell. It's an entirely individual decision. BTW, what in the world made you ask such a question?

john1970

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:54 pm »
I buy a mix of new, dealer demo, and used equipement.  The majority is new equipment, but I definitely buy used or demo when it is a product that I want.  I especially like demo products because you generally receive full manufacture warranty at incredible discounts.  In 2010 I purchased a demo set of speakers that were 35% off the current MSRP.

Good luck,

John

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2012, 11:48 pm »
Cartridges and headphones - new
Speakers, tubes, interconnects - almost always new or NOS
Everything else - used
I'd prefer to buy everything new but I either can't afford to or it's no longer available. 

rbbert

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2012, 12:03 am »
Without audiophiles buying used and thereby creating a good resale market, it would be tough for those who like the newest, more expensive gear to continue to indulge themselves.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2012, 12:12 am »
I think an accompaining question would be which components wear out and as such cannot be purchased used without a need for rebuilding. One such component is the mc phono cartridge.  Capacitors often need replacing if old amps are to function properly.

midfi

• nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2012, 02:08 am »
I agree with some others here, it depends.

I have bought all speakers new with the exception of a pair of JBL 4312's (just had to have them!).  Amps and pre's mostly used, haven't bought a new amp since the mid 90's (Adcom 535II).  Sources new.  Interconnects new. Most of my MM carts are used with new stylus, MC's are new or NOS.  I still have the V15-III that came with my 721 when I got it NOS in 81-82...

soundbitten1

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2012, 02:13 am »
If you're in the 1% buy new.   

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2012, 02:40 am »
Very Chicken or the Egg arguement,  :lol:.  Everyone should occasioanlly buy new so that there is used stuff available.  I buy by these loose rules but pretty much in this order:

Buy the best quality, "most desirable" component
In the best available condition
At a price that fits in my budget
From the most reputable local business available (manufacturer/dealer/store/person)
For the best Cost/Benefit ratio within all these.

I buy probably 50/50 used vs. new