SHOULD ONE BUY NEW OR BUY USED AUDIO EQUIPMENT?

soundbitten1

Re: SHOULD ONE BUY NEW OR BUY USED AUDIO EQUIPMENT?
« Reply #40 on: 19 Mar 2012, 11:49 am »
Of my 2 main systems 28.6% is new and 71.4% is used. Except for a pair of $40 speakers all my  garage and cellar gear is used.

johzel

« Reply #41 on: 19 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm »
I came back to this hobby about 2 1/2 years ago and have built two systems.  Some of my equipment is new and some is used.  It's always great fun to be the first to unbox a new piece of equipment.  Having fully warranted equipment can be a good thing as well.  If I were to do it all over again I'd probably go all used.  I've discovered if you know what you want and can be patient there are awesome bargains to be had by purchasing used equipment.  Sort of the same argument as whether to buy a new or mint condition used car.

audiobat

« Reply #42 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:15 pm »
I had alot of luck with used, but the last amp I bought was a Parasound that a cat peed on, had to get it repaired and the residue was too much to get completely gone. Decided to go new, since sellers are not always honest.

Cat Pee on a Parasound?
Now I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!
After hearing that I may never buy used again because I can see that happening for sure!
Hilarious!

michaelhigh

« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2012, 02:55 am »
New? Sony XDRF1-HD, Sony PLSX-250H, Gateway SX-2802 refurb PC (Realtek HD sound card that upsamples all audio to 24/192), EV ZX-1-90 pro speakers, schiit bifrost DAC. Used...everything else (nearly 50 pieces from every category). :green: