Bit15:How much gear do you power/does it isolate components from each other?

Phil

Thinking about a bit 15 and wondering:

-- how much gear will it power (amp + dac/pre + bdp-1?)
-- does it provide good isolation among the gear plugged into it (dac doesn't pollute amp, for example)
-- do you leave it on all the time/does leaving it powered on sound best?
--  if you leave it on, any idea how much current it draws continuously?

thanks. 

Phil

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
...good question, Phil. and i think there is still the need for a general recommendation about what amp fits what BIT. this being said it would be useful to show some Bryston source/preamp/amp/BIT combinations so that it is easier for the customer to understand what BIT he would need...

al.

alexone

James,

just checked the Torus website and saw that the 'IS' series are available as international (CE marked) models.

same for the BIT units?

al.

mr_bill

I added a Torus 15amp and it powers my dac and power amp with ease and made a very nice improvement - one that I can hear.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature

I think you're probably crossing the Rubicon if you plug an amp bigger than a 4B SST2 into a BIT 15. The other stuff ie: sources, preamp don't draw a lot of current.
The unit will only provide surge protection if it is powered up - I use a BIT 20 and I just leave it on all the time.

D.D.

alexone

hi, DD!

what is the power consumption of a BIT20 at idle?

al.

Diamond Dog

hi, DD!

what is the power consumption of a BIT20 at idle?

al.

Not sure. Checked the manual and it doesn't say. I'm sure the power consumed is costing me less than the potential damage from a surge could. The BIT is the only thing in my system that I leave powered up all the time.

D.D.

servingko

I leave mine on all the time and have a 4BSST2, BP6, source, and sub (Revel B15) plugged into it.  I turn the components off but leave the Torus15 on.  I have plugged my complete 5 channel system into it with no problems but I don't listen very loud and have relatively efficient speakers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
James,

just checked the Torus website and saw that the 'IS' series are available as international (CE marked) models.

same for the BIT units?

al.

Yes the BITs have all the hydro certificates.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi

A 4B can draw 7 amps and preamps and such draw very little amperage so a 15A/120V is fine for most single amp/assorted sources audio systems.   :thumb:

Diamond Dog

Hi

A 4B can draw 7 amps and preamps and such draw very little amperage so a 15A/120V is fine for most single amp/assorted sources audio systems.   :thumb:

Hi James : A couple of interesting questions were posted and I'm wondering if you can get to them when you get a chance - What are the idling power consumptions of the different BIT's and does having digital gear share the BIT with amps & preamps have a detrimental effect on the "cleanliness" of the power ( no isolation ) ?

Thanks much

D.D.

SoundGame

Hi

I'm a little confused on this, given what the Bryston manual for the 4B-SST2 states - as quoted here:

"The circuit feeding the 4B SST2 should be sufficient so as not to cause the circuit breaker to trip. For example, the 4B SST2 when operated with both channels delivering maximum power into 4 ohm loads will consume all the available power in a normal North American residential circuit (15 Amps), therefore a dedicated electrical circuit may be necessary with this situation."

This implies that the 4B could draw a full 15 Amps, which is backed-up by the detailed power consumption specifications, quoted in the manual, as follows:

2 channels @ 300W into 8 ohms: 1280 Watts
- this equates to 10.7 Amps at 120 Volts
2 channels @ 500W into 4 ohms: 2100 Watts - this equates to 17.5 Amps at 120 Volts

Recognizing that these consumption figures would be on a unfluctuating input signal that would result in a constant output at the above level - which would likely never occur in real-life given the constant fluctuation in the input signal due to corresponding music signal, this does beg the question as to where the 7 Amps consumption figure comes from and why it's not quoted in the manual or specifications.  As well, why is there such a statement suggesting a dedicated 15 amp circuit in the manual?

I'm just trying to make sense of this since I've been building a dedicated listening room and purposely wired a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my 4B-SST2 to ensure I would always have enough current and more to spare.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
I'm a little confused on this, given what the Bryston manual for the 4B-SST2 states - as quoted here:

"The circuit feeding the 4B SST2 should be sufficient so as not to cause the circuit breaker to trip. For example, the 4B SST2 when operated with both channels delivering maximum power into 4 ohm loads will consume all the available power in a normal North American residential circuit (15 Amps), therefore a dedicated electrical circuit may be necessary with this situation."

This implies that the 4B could draw a full 15 Amps, which is backed-up by the detailed power consumption specifications, quoted in the manual, as follows:

2 channels @ 300W into 8 ohms: 1280 Watts
- this equates to 10.7 Amps at 120 Volts
2 channels @ 500W into 4 ohms: 2100 Watts - this equates to 17.5 Amps at 120 Volts

Recognizing that these consumption figures would be on a unfluctuating input signal that would result in a constant output at the above level - which would likely never occur in real-life given the constant fluctuation in the input signal due to corresponding music signal, this does beg the question as to where the 7 Amps consumption figure comes from and why it's not quoted in the manual or specifications.  As well, why is there such a statement suggesting a dedicated 15 amp circuit in the manual?

I'm just trying to make sense of this since I've been building a dedicated listening room and purposely wired a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my 4B-SST2 to ensure I would always have enough current and more to spare.

It depends on the impedance of the speaker and the current draw required by the load  - short term you may get a full 15 amp draw but not continuous which is the main concern.  I have 2- 28B's at home on a 15 amp circuit and all is just fine.

james

SoundGame

It depends on the impedance of the speaker and the current draw required by the load  - short term you may get a full 15 amp draw but not continuous which is the main concern.  I have 2- 28B's at home on a 15 amp circuit and all is just fine.

james

Thanks James.  I guess it is theoretical vs. typical. 

I would suppose in something like a professional installation / application, say a movie theatre or large recording studion, ensuring the dedicated circuit offer up to the maximum ratings would be prudent.

Perhaps I could have saved a bit on wiring - but I guess I'm future proofed for a pair of 56B-s.... :lol:

drummermitchell

After my electrician installed my 2X240v lines and a 20a line,                                                                              his comment was that I could run eight commercial dryers off of the lines he ran.
8 Awg off the main running to a sub panel,then 10Awg after that for all outlets.
I think I`m covered :scratch:`..
The 240v lines feed my 60a and 20a Torus.

SoundGame

After my electrician installed my 2X240v lines and a 20a line,                                                                              his comment was that I could run eight commercial dryers off of the lines he ran.
8 Awg off the main running to a sub panel,then 10Awg after that for all outlets.
I think I`m covered :scratch:`..
The 240v lines feed my 60a and 20a Torus.

I've heard of bringing a knife to a gun fight but drummermitchell, I'd say you've brought a :flame: to a candle party with that setup.   :wink:

Okay, now I feel more justified in my 1 x 120V 20A dedicated circuit for my 4B-SST2 + BP6 and;
my 1 X 120V 15A circuit for all sources. :thumb:

alexone

Hi

good input, James :thumb:

- what is the thumb rule for a 15A/240V unit regarding a 4BSST, 3BSST² and a 875HT amp?? how much amperage do they draw?
- furthermore i'd like to know what the series mode surge suppression is for since it is now removed for the "IS" series models. does it has something to do with protection in case of lightning strike??? :scratch:

al.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2012, 05:24 am by alexone »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
From engineering:

Hi James,

The idling power of the BIT products is about 80 to 100 W. Having digital gear share the Torus with amps and per-amps have no detrimental effect on the cleanliness of the BIT output power from its incoming power from the wall outlet. However, some users prefer to keep the power feed to the amps separate from the digital gears.

drummermitchell

SOUNDGAME,I do have nine components and a 4Bsst going into the 20a 240v Torus.
There's the 26pre,projector,Vac pre(tube),BCD,BDA,BlurayX2 ect.no noise no nada.
Perhaps I need the SP-3 to make the Torus do the foxtrot.
I like protection for everything as I have had things go south with others,sides since I find quite a huge difference in sound with these in.
I have mah 28's and 7 fed by the 60a,these 28's are the ones before the Torus transformers and newer caps were installed in the newer amps.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Phil, I use my Torus 15 (same as the BIT I understand) only for my 7BSST2 amps. I do this because all my other components are far from my amps and speakers.

I leave the Torus on all the time because I learned, as James explained is that is consumes about what a light bulb might. I know this is still a waste of power, so I compensate by turning off my pacemaker.

Dave