CD Storage - The Horror...

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: CD Storage - The Horror...
« Reply #80 on: 20 May 2014, 02:49 pm »
  Although my books and music are in the bedroom I have no issues showing my stuff, so to speak. LOL .  I figure if you're my true friend you know what I like anyway. :thumb:

firedog

« Reply #81 on: 20 May 2014, 02:57 pm »
I know I'm late to this party, but I also use http://mmdesign.com/cd-dvd-blu-ray-storage.php
and it is not only more convenient the sleeves take up much less space than the jewel cases

I'm using this
http://www.mmdesign.com/cd-storage-sleeves.php
as I like to flip through my collection and without the jewel case it saves a lot of storage space .
Juergen

soundbitten1

« Reply #82 on: 20 May 2014, 07:52 pm »
Yes! I do. I've always thought that looking at someone's music collection or book collection was like peering into their soul. A lot of my music is off the beaten path and people who know it are often kindred spirits. I don't necessarily care how people judge me based on my music, but I am sometimes loathe to engage people in conversation about my collection.

Exactly!    :thumb:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #83 on: 20 May 2014, 09:59 pm »
Does anyone else feel a little self conscious about having their music collection out in the open? Before the shelves I had my cds stored in various cabinets behind closed doors or in out-of-the-way rooms. Now my music tastes are displayed for all visitors, friends and relatives to see. What are they thinking? Are they baffled? curious? .... I don't know ... don't get much feedback. It's a little weird going from private to public like that.

No worries for me with respect to this issue as I have no friends or visitors.

Be well...

R. Daneel

« Reply #84 on: 21 May 2014, 08:59 am »
Why worry what people think about your music collection? One can never judge a book by it's cover. Collections that are too neat, too polite, and tend to show class with plenty Diana Krall CDs usually can just as easily mean the person doesn't even listen to the music but has it on display anyway. Potemkin's villages come to mind. Dogs for example are a mirror of their owners and if the dog is mean and likes to bite, then that says a lot more about the man that the other guy with a shelf full of death metal CDs.

Some folks have entire walls as bookshelves with truly fine pieces of literature and still, tgey have never read anything longer than 3 lines of text. Others buy a Kindle and read plenty.

Guy 13

« Reply #85 on: 21 May 2014, 09:42 am »
Hi all.
My horror story is that I have very little CDs and LPs.
On the good side,
it takes me only one second to find a CD or LP
because I have so little.

Guy 13

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #86 on: 21 May 2014, 08:42 pm »
No worries for me with respect to this issue as I have no friends or visitors.

Be well...  I can dig this.... Music is a personal  thing that need not friends or relatives to interfere with what is  yours and yours only. :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #87 on: 21 May 2014, 08:47 pm »
  Yes , I agree. If you judge me by my collection and choices then piss off.......you are not my friend  in this or any  other thing in my life.......so there      LOL : : :rock:

KKM

« Reply #88 on: 25 May 2014, 07:41 am »
I got rid of all my jewel case by donating to the local library and stored it in this type of aluminum case with hanging sleeves, much less space requirement and easy to find the CD if you have a good filing system:

http://www.meritline.com/900-discs-aluminum-like-black-cd-case---p-39869.aspx

skunark

« Reply #89 on: 27 May 2014, 05:29 am »
In the last year i've donated all of my DVDs to the local library now that the movies are on netflix.  Same goes with donating all of my geek books  to the library as i've managed to purchase PDF versions.   I see the same scenario playing out with blu-rays and even CD once 4k video and high-resolution files are more readily available.     Since CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays all have a 20 year shelf life,  having an alternate source is rather desirable.  I have a few CDs where I can see pits through them, so the dreaded cd rot is already in my collection and in-a-way will slowly spread to other discs. 

The CDs will be hard to give up and are most likely sticking around until at least high-resolution files are available, but I can see myself expanding vinyl and even the good old fashion books.   

Jim
« Last Edit: 27 May 2014, 07:21 am by skunark »

spinner

« Reply #90 on: 27 May 2014, 02:16 pm »
  CD rot seems to be a myth provided they are kept from heat and extreme dampness. I have some that are 25+ years old and are in perfect shape. I think you get decay with recordable cds because it's only ink and and not  etched and coated like a manufactured record.  :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #91 on: 27 May 2014, 02:28 pm »
  CD rot seems to be a myth provided they are kept from heat and extreme dampness. I have some that are 25+ years old and are in perfect shape. I think you get decay with recordable cds because it's only ink and and not  etched and coated like a manufactured record.  :thumb:

Interesting observation, my first CD purchase was Bill Idol ~Whiplash Smile~ in the mid eighties and it is still in great shape.

Be well...

Phil A

« Reply #92 on: 27 May 2014, 02:48 pm »
I got my first CD player (Phase Linear 9500) when it came out in mid-1983 and still have CDs from back then.  While I don't play discs often (file playback now), I've never had an issue.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #93 on: 27 May 2014, 03:03 pm »
I bought my Yamaha CD-2 player (single CD player) in March of 1984.   The first CD I purchased was the Cleveland Orchestra performing Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition".  It's a Telarc recording.  It was the first CD I picked out. The 2nd CD, purchased at the same time, was Alan Parson's Project "I Robot".  I still have both of those CD's and they play fine.

I can see where CD-R and CD-RW's might fail sooner due to the difference in technology used.  Original CD's that you purchase has the data as pits/bumps on a polycarbonate layer.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc#First_Red_Book_CDs_and_players

HsvHeelFan

Phil A

« Reply #94 on: 27 May 2014, 03:14 pm »

As noted I've never had an issue (in 31 years at this point - since I was 5 years old of cours :lol:).  To avoid problems when I used CD playback in a vehicle, I've always made CD-Rs (and before that cassettes of CDs).  I figured freezing and 90+ degree temperatures on a semi-regular basis would not be good for the life of them.  The only time I've played back a store bought disc in the last decade was when I bought it in a store and wanted to listen on the way back home.  With stores that sell CDs on the way out, that happened less and less.

Laundrew

« Reply #95 on: 27 May 2014, 07:23 pm »

charmerci

« Reply #96 on: 27 May 2014, 09:54 pm »
The reason I don't show my CD collection are because of the people that look at it and say, "Oh what a great collection. It'll be great to make copies of it!"

Uncomfortable cause I don't want them to. Not just because of the artists' rights/income but because I've gone through 1000's of CDs bought and sold. I've put a huge effort and money into looking, choosing, listening, trading, buying and selling music for a long time. I just don't buy music willy-nilly and keep it on a shelf.

Yup, I also have the very first CD I ever bought in 1986. Donald Fagan's  Nightfly, still plays without a problem - yes, even after it's been stored in high heat and the cold.

mjosef

« Reply #97 on: 27 May 2014, 11:43 pm »
I  think you get decay with recordable cds because it's only ink and and not  etched and coated like a manufactured record.

The thoughts we sometimes entertain...ink?   :scratch:

BrysTony

« Reply #98 on: 28 May 2014, 12:46 am »
I have more than 1000 CDs and they are all stored in cardboard boxes.  Most have been ripped to flac files and reside on a hard drive attached to my BDA-1.  Thus, they can all be held in my hand.  I like it that way!

Tony

spinner

« Reply #99 on: 28 May 2014, 03:07 am »
The thoughts we sometimes entertain...ink?   :scratch:
  Sorry , I meant dyes (which I guess is what ink is) :lol: