CD Storage - The Horror...

Ericus Rex

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: CD Storage - The Horror...
« Reply #101 on: 28 May 2014, 11:20 am »
"...The reason I don't show my CD collection are because of the people that look at it and say, "Oh what a great collection. It'll be great to make copies of it!"

Uncomfortable cause I don't want them to. Not just because of the artists' rights/income but because I've gone through 1000's of CDs bought and sold. I've put a huge effort and money into looking, choosing, listening, trading, buying and selling music for a long time..."

Agree completely. When I shop for CDs before going to work, a few co-workers comment that you can download your music for free instead of purchasing it. Ironically, if these very same individuals are short 50 cents on their pay, you would think that it is a national emergency by the drama that ensues.

Be well... 

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #102 on: 28 May 2014, 01:26 pm »
As a professional musician, every time I step on stage, either for a rehearsal or performance, I get paid.  Patrons pay good money to attend Symphony concerts.

I drilled it in my kid's heads that you don't steal music.  Every concert that the Orchestra gives is digitally recorded.  If a guest artist would like a "personal use" copy, the union votes to allow that.   Recordings are that artist's intellectual property.  It's no different than stealing a painter's painting or a writer's book.

I own the CD of every album that I have on my music server, except 3.  Those 3 album's I purchased as mp3 downloads from Amazon, since they were out of print.  I wish I could purchase FLAC files or WAV files.

HsvHeelFan

Phil A

« Reply #103 on: 28 May 2014, 01:48 pm »
As a professional musician, every time I step on stage, either for a rehearsal or performance, I get paid.  Patrons pay good money to attend Symphony concerts.

I drilled it in my kid's heads that you don't steal music.  Every concert that the Orchestra gives is digitally recorded.  If a guest artist would like a "personal use" copy, the union votes to allow that.   Recordings are that artist's intellectual property.  It's no different than stealing a painter's painting or a writer's book.

I own the CD of every album that I have on my music server, except 3.  Those 3 album's I purchased as mp3 downloads from Amazon, since they were out of print.  I wish I could purchase FLAC files or WAV files.

HsvHeelFan

Do you mean FLAC or WAV of the ones you have?  There's various software to do it either for free or for a nominal amount.  I bought dbpoweramp to burn my CDs to FLAC.  There's Exact Audio Copy (and others which are free).  The software I have is easy to use.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #104 on: 28 May 2014, 02:00 pm »
Amazon's music download was mp3 only, when I did that.  I'm running JRiver media center, so I converted the mp3 to FLAC, but I would have preferred to have the original uncompressed file than a 256k mp3 file as my download option.  It's been a couple of years since I purchased any music files from the web. 

I'm still ordering CD's  (when I can get them in print)  and getting them shipped to the house.

HsvHeelFan

Mag

« Reply #105 on: 29 May 2014, 01:12 am »

HsvHeelFan

No it's not stealing, its only stealing because someone says it's stealing cause they didn't make a dollar on it the second or third time around.

Example: If I put garbage in my garbage bin, as long as the bin is on my property, nobody has legal rights to it. But once I take it to the curb, it is now in the public domain and anybody can come and take the garbage and do with it what they want. 'One man's garbage is another man's treasure.'

Likewise once music is in the public domain, its fair game. You can encrypt it to try and protect it, but if one has the ability to decrypt, then alls fair in love and war.

We didn't ask the Nazis if we could decrypt their enigma machine so that we could use the information against them. So if it's legal for the government it should be legal for the people as well. :?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #106 on: 29 May 2014, 02:53 am »
No it's not stealing, its only stealing because someone says it's stealing cause they didn't make a dollar on it the second or third time around.

Example: If I put garbage in my garbage bin, as long as the bin is on my property, nobody has legal rights to it. But once I take it to the curb, it is now in the public domain and anybody can come and take the garbage and do with it what they want. 'One man's garbage is another man's treasure.'

Likewise once music is in the public domain, its fair game. You can encrypt it to try and protect it, but if one has the ability to decrypt, then alls fair in love and war.

We didn't ask the Nazis if we could decrypt their enigma machine so that we could use the information against them. So if it's legal for the government it should be legal for the people as well. :?

Just so I'm clear, your position is that if someone uploads a music file, say - the new Black Keys album to a file-sharing site, it's now in the public domain so everybody have at it? Is that what you're saying? Someone paid for it so if they upload it no one else needs to pay for it?

The drawing of parallels between recording artists and the Nazis I won't even go near.

D.D.

Mag

« Reply #107 on: 29 May 2014, 03:41 am »
My argument is that the 'art' whatever you want to call it, once it's in the public domain, it is not stealing. Its akin to garbage.

However as long as it is in your possession or property you have legal right, and that would be theft.

charmerci

« Reply #108 on: 29 May 2014, 04:27 am »
My argument is that the 'art' whatever you want to call it, once it's in the public domain, it is not stealing. Its akin to garbage.

However as long as it is in your possession or property you have legal right, and that would be theft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

Just because something is posted for anyone to copy does not mean it's in the public domain. There is no legal right to copy without compensation to the artist without permission. The only reason that they don't is because a) they don't know you're doing it and b) it wouldn't be worth the time and the money to take someone to court over making a copy without their permission.

Buseto

« Reply #109 on: 29 May 2014, 10:03 am »

For me there is an ethical and a judicial side to it.

The ethical side:
If someone makes something he should get paid for it if other people get it or make use of it, unless it is obvious that the maker is willing to give it away for free.

The judicial side:
If someone makes something or has something it belongs to him, except when it is evident that he no longer wants to have it.
For that to know the place where a good is (e.g. in the garage or on the street) isn't sufficient, but also - and more important - if the owner has it made clear that he doesn't want to have the good any longer.

And to me for certain when a file is encrypted it is like it would in a garage: it is not to meant for free use for everyone.
(But for me the right of the owner / holder is not restricted to encrypted files.)

Diamond Dog

« Reply #110 on: 29 May 2014, 12:18 pm »

Gets into the public domain how?

D.D.

Mag

« Reply #111 on: 30 May 2014, 12:21 am »
Gets into the public domain how?

D.D.

There the original sale is made from a store, internet or royalties paid to air over tv, radio, internet, etc.. Now the product is no longer in the possession of its owner but in the public domain.

Where it can end up...:

recorded, library, book store, pawn shop, garage sale, lost on the street, garbage, bird cage, etc., etc., this is the public domain.

charmerci

« Reply #112 on: 30 May 2014, 01:17 am »
There the original sale is made from a store, internet or royalties paid to air over tv, radio, internet, etc.. Now the product is no longer in the possession of its owner but in the public domain.

Where it can end up...:

recorded, library, book store, pawn shop, garage sale, lost on the street, garbage, bird cage, etc., etc., this is the public domain.

Obviously, you didn't read the wiki link I posted above. You're using public domain completely incorrectly.

Mag

« Reply #113 on: 30 May 2014, 02:28 am »
Obviously, you didn't read the wiki link I posted above. You're using public domain completely incorrectly.

I read it. Public domain as to wiki link is an arbitrary law that has varied from time to time, place to place. Of course if you're caught breaking the law there's a penalty to be paid.

As I understand it, in Canada it was legal to copy and record under fair use, being in the public domain until fairly recently. Now the law has been changed that if you are in possession of music without proof of purchase or original copy, you are to destroy these items. Making criminals out of Canadians who don't trash their collection.

But is it stealing, as in breaking a commandment? I say no, as I don't see it different than a person rummaging through the garbage on the curb, finding an article, fixing it, then selling it or using it themselves.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #114 on: 30 May 2014, 02:38 am »

Aye carumba... :bomb:

D.D.

charmerci

« Reply #115 on: 30 May 2014, 02:47 am »
Frankly, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

First, the music industry destroyed creativity in the popular domain by "producing" music for money and as people stop buying music thereby not rewarding a group's/artist's creativity, the musical future holds either crappy, weekend bands or stuff like this which is now huge around the world.

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart-watch/chart-watch-meet-iggy-azalea-211310608.html

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #116 on: 16 Jun 2014, 01:40 pm »

Well, Robert Fripp has been railing against this very thing for years and gradually making headway in the courts. But more recently, Van Dyke Parks made some sobering remarks about online play. It seems our good friends at Spotify pay him and Mr. Starr a grand total of $65 for every 100,000 plays. That ain't much.

Record companies have been screwing artists for years and now this.

Must we rob them as well?

(The Van Dyke Parks interview below.)

Cheers,
KP

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/04/van-dyke-parks-on-how-songwriters-are-getting-screwed-in-the-digital-age.html

"Forty years ago, co-writing a song with Ringo Starr would have provided me a house and a pool. Now, estimating 100,000 plays on Spotify, we guessed we’d split about $80. When I got home, on closer study, I found out we were way too optimistic. Spotify (on par with other streamers) pays only .00065 cents per play.

There’s less support for all the arts today, and the blade gets duller with every cut in arts funding. It degrades dance, opera, even academia and, significantly, the art of journalism. As a result, in the U.S., public opinion suffers from what we call “infotainment.” That’s a genre of media news that is not informing, entertaining, or remedial. And it’s a direct result of a vacuum of patronage (and by patronage, I don’t mean just Medici-style sponsorship but the willingness of all arts consumers to pay for what they listen to, read, and watch, and for the industry to fairly recompense creators)"

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #117 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:39 am »

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #118 on: 20 Jun 2014, 05:56 pm »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #119 on: 11 Jul 2014, 02:33 pm »
An item that I never considered was the weight of the CD shelf plus the CDs - until now  :slap::duh:

The secondary storage rack was constructed for my "none alternative music" and the plan was to support it suspended on a 2X6 wall - until I loaded a thousand or so CDs on it. Decided to move the shelf and was amazed at how heavy it was - whom would of considered that the humble CD and jewel case was a force to be reckoned with when en masse? So Plan B will now have a 2X6 Base added to the bottom of the shelf to carry the load, but will still secure the shelf to the wall for lateral stability.

Be well...