CD Storage - The Horror...

sebrof

Re: CD Storage - The Horror...
« Reply #40 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:44 pm »
I know that DVDs are region specific and I was wondering if this also applied to CDs?

This is not true for DVDs, is it?
I know for VHS it is, but DVDs are universal like CDs, no?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #41 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:49 pm »
This is not true for DVDs, is it?
I know for VHS it is, but DVDs are universal like CDs, no?

Greetings sebrof  :D

Here is a breakdown of region codes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Be well...

sebrof

« Reply #42 on: 28 Feb 2012, 08:39 pm »
Greetings sebrof  :D

Here is a breakdown of region codes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Be well...

Thanks Laundrew.
Best I could tell from the link, regional coding was never implemented, at least not broadly.
Sounds like a non-issue.

"DVDs may use one code, a combination of codes (Multi-Region), most codes (Region 0) or every code/no codes (Region All)."

"Region-code enhanced, also known as just "RCE" or "REA",[4] was a retroactive attempt to prevent the playing of one region's discs in another region, even if the disc was played in a region-free player. The scheme was deployed on only a handful of discs."

gitarretyp

« Reply #43 on: 28 Feb 2012, 09:00 pm »
Region encoding of DVDs has always been done, to the best of my knowledge. It is done to prevent sales of a product produced in one region from being sold in another region, i.e., control over who receives the profits and when the DVD is released. It's basically software encoded artificial distribution control. However, there are region free hardware and software players that can play a DVD from anywhere in the world. There are region free (region 0) encoded discs, but they're uncommon.

The region-code enhanced "feature" was intended to prohibit region free players from working and was not widely implemented.

Also, most of the rest of the world uses the PAL video standard, while we use NTSC.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #44 on: 29 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm »
I was admiring some individuals CD collections and their storage solutions on-line and the question about CD "playability" entered my mind. Can a CD from any where in the world be played in any CD player? I know that DVDs are region specific and I was wondering if this also applied to CDs? The Reason that I ask is that I am having difficulties tracking down a few CDs and I may get a friend to locate them for me in Europe.

:scratch:

Be well...

If you're looking for anything let me know and i'll check around for you!

Laundrew

« Reply #45 on: 29 Feb 2012, 01:16 pm »
If you're looking for anything let me know and i'll check around for you!

Thanks Anonamemouse  :D :scratch:

Be well...

Wim J

« Reply #46 on: 29 Feb 2012, 02:05 pm »
I had this cd-storage made. It holds ~1700 cd's.

Laundrew

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:26 pm »
Just came across this on-line, has anyone used one of these gems?

http://www.collectorz.com/music/ziotek_cd_carousel.php

Be well...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #48 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:42 pm »
It looks like a lot of aggravation just waiting to happen.
Do you have a backyard?  You might as well face the inevitible and get it over with.

mkaiser

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:18 pm »
It looks like a lot of aggravation just waiting to happen.
Do you have a backyard?  You might as well face the inevitible and get it over with.

:lol:

mkaiser

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:22 pm »
Just came across this on-line, has anyone used one of these gems?

http://www.collectorz.com/music/ziotek_cd_carousel.php

Be well...

Looks like a nightmare ready to happen. What does a person do when that thing jams like all the others before it from Sony and Pioneer?

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #51 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:28 pm »
I had this cd-storage made. It holds ~1700 cd's.

Damn id all ready need two  :duh:

fatcat28037

« Reply #52 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:53 pm »
I built mine, holds 1260 CDs

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #53 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:56 pm »
Dear all,

There certainly was some form of region specficity for DVD's.
However it is easy to remove the specificity for the player.
In fact when you buy a DVD player in Europe, they will provide this service for a modest fee.

For CD's not to worry, have bought CD's in many countries (on most continents), works just fine.

As for (post-BDP) storage:

Meet my new CD rack

Cheers,
Bob

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #54 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:58 pm »
I've gone to a digital music server and never play cd's anymore but I still keep this cabinet in my living room, which I designed and built myself: 

totoro

« Reply #55 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:53 pm »
Now I know you guys are crazy! Do what Chrom said. I have I dunno, >1000 CDs in binders (I think 320 capacity) that take up almost no space whatsoever. Jewels are in the closet...duh.

Example - http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Case-Logic-208-Capacity-Nylon-CD-DVD-Binder-CD-DVD-binder/1341377.aspx

That's what I do. I use the larger ones though:

http://www.caselogic.com/en-US/US/Products/CD-DVD-Cases/CD-Albums/CDW_-_320_-__-_320CapacityCDWallet

I toss the jewel cases, throw the covers and booklets in a box (that I almost never open), and done with it.

Laundrew

« Reply #56 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:57 pm »
I've gone to a digital music server and never play cd's anymore but I still keep this cabinet in my living room, which I designed and built myself: 

You sir, are truly a woodworker - very nice  :thumb:

Be well...

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #57 on: 31 Mar 2013, 11:20 pm »
Space . . . the final frontier

Gents, you have some clever and creative solutions to storing CDs, including some beautifully crafted cabinets and shelving.

FWIW, here's our CD cabinet. There used to be a small closet on this wall, which disappeared when we remodeled our kitchen, as we installed a cabinet on the opposite side of the wall. We had this CD cabinet built for the entrance hall because it was shallow and would not impede movement. It's been fine so far, absenting sagging shelves that need reinforcement or replacement. But . . . the thing is full. We haven't counted our CDs, but there are quite a few and, at this point, when we buy a new one we need to consider whether an existing one has to go to make space. We likely all have those marginal titles that we could get rid of, but . . .

We've ordered a BDP-2, and it will be interesting to see how this affects the way we use our music collection. Several of you have made sound arguments for divesting oneself of the bulk of discs and accompanying jewel boxes. Yet, as mentioned aptly above, there's a pleasure in selecting a disc and reading the liner notes (or CD booklet). The booklet could be scanned like cover art and read more easily on an iPad, but this would be a huge project, especially for thick tomes like opera libretti. I suppose there's a balance to be found as to which items could be digitized. I'll be interested in your thoughts, as our music collections, whether physical or virtual, represent the raison d'être for our systems.

Cheerio,

Rich

SlushPuppy

« Reply #58 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:23 am »
I love BOLTZ industrial look.  I have 4 of those overflowing with CDs. :thumb:

I looked at hundreds of storage units online before settling on the Boltz racks. I have 3 joined together on my back wall and a single unit on a side wall. I'll be ordering another one in a couple of months. I think they look great.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #59 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:25 am »
That's a beautiful storage unit  :thumb: