IEM's - which ones are the best?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
IEM's - which ones are the best?
« on: 23 Feb 2012, 04:28 am »
Killer in ear monitors (IEM's) to go with your iPod, iPad, iPhone, or portable device of choice.  What's the best?  Well, lucky for you, I've heard or owned just about all of them.  And I'm here to tell you :)  Some people talk about different "flavors" of headphones or IEM's.  And they are right, there are indeed different flavors.  But sometimes better is just better.  I'm here to point out some that I think are just flat out better than the rest.  By price point.

Up to $100
Oh, no question - the Etymotics HF 5.  But not with the crappy ear pieces included with them.  Only with the Shure foam replacement earpieces - known as the "olives" over on head-fi.  With these the HF-5's transform from a nasal and bass light sound to a perfectly balanced and crystal clear, super detailed sound.  Awesome and for the price there's no contest they should be on everyone's first-audition list.

Custom IEM's, 2nd Best
After the HF-5's, there's really no other IEM's worth your time or you money till you get to the custom stuff.  And one of the very best available, IMO, is the Sensaphonics 2X-S - they are custom molded so you will have to see an audiologist to get a mold of you ear done and send them off to Sensaphonics to get a set of IEM's custom built for you.  The 2X-S is soft, pliable, and very comfortable.  They slightly roll off the highs and slightly boost the bass.  But as you'll find out if traveling - this is exactly what you want.  Bass is the first thing you lose in an environment with high ambient noise.  So the "house curve" of the 2X-S is perfect.

Custom IEM's - The BEST
Well, the Sensaphonics, at $800 are certainly not cheap.  And they are worth their cost, IMO.  But is there something better?  YES.  I had the luxury to demo the entire lineup of JH-Audio several times, and I have to say that the JH-13 is not just the best IEM I've ever heard, but is perhaps the best piece of audio gear I've ever had the pleasure to use in my entire life.  That includes speakers, amps, DAC's, whatever.  If you have the scratch, do not hesitate, these are the ne plus ultra of sound quality.  Even hooked up to a modest source like the output of an iPad they just kicked @ss on anything you throw at them. 

ajzepp

Re: IEM's - which ones are the best?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:36 am »
For under $100, if the half-off program is still going, the Atrio M5s are really, really good. They retail for $199 but I got my pair for $99 and I love them.

JohnR

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2012, 07:51 am »
JH16's are not as good as the 13's, IMO.  The 16's have too much bass.

coke

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:01 pm »
I've owned the following:
Etymotic ER-4p
Etymotic ER-6i
Sure se310
Ortofon e-q7

For the money, the er-4p were the most impressive.  I would have been content with those for many years if they hadn't broken.

I couldn't stand the sound of the Shures.  Way too much bass, and nothing really sounded right.  I'll never own another pair.

The e-q7 are really good.  I feel that the dac and amp in my ipod are the limiting factors now rather than the IEMs.  These mostly have a neutral and slightly laid back sound which I like.

:thumb:

dwk

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:30 pm »
Timely post. I may be looking at going 'all in' on headphones due to continued frustration at getting a decent speaker system that I actually listen to.  I have the ER-4 (p with the p-to-s cable) and find that while the sense of space is lacking compared to the K701, the detail and presentation are otherwise superior.
 So, that made me think that custom IEMs may be a viable route rather than something like the HD-800 (which seems to be the consensus high-end upgrade from the K701).  I'm a bit concerned about long-term comfort with the custom IEMs - I know they'll be better than the Etys, but are they truly comfortable for long stretches?

I'm also unsure of an amping strategy. With the p-to-s cable the Etys are ok with my Schiit Lyr, but my impression is that I'd definitely need to go a different direction with the JH-13. They certainly don't need power, but they do need quality - basically just a high-quality buffer, but I'm not sure who offers that type of setup.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:31 pm »
I had a bunch including Triple Fi 10's, and others but I'm finding out I like some nice clean hit you in the chest bass drum kicks.....I didn't get that from most that Ive had. The TF10's were nice but they are a pain in the a__ to get a nice fit with. I sold'em and kept my Etymotic MC5's for the clarity and just bump up the low end with Cowon Jet effects...my Sony MDR-XB40EX which are discontinued are my current favorites...my biggest problem is my limited budget but I have found some amazingly good sounding ones for cheap, cheap, cheap.....LOL...I have the Ortofon E-Q7's in my sights and the Audeo Phonak models I can swing. The new this year Sony's are looking awesome but the price is way,way to high.
 I have not heard customs for many, many years but JH13's would be my first ones if I ever do.
I'm excited to see the Ortofons getting the nod here....

MarkSK

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:49 pm »
Price is a determining factor for sure. Entry level while may sound better then standard Apple buds have no build quality. While spending hard earned money, be cautious. Try to find a store that at least has some on display. Cable failure is common on lower level IEM's. Thats the biggest difference in them. You can get decent sound on lower priced IEM's. Just make sure of warranty and return policy's. Best is in YOUR own ears, we all have different sweet spots. :guitar:

lextek

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:51 pm »
I really, like the Shure SE215s straight out of tye iPod/iPhone.  Very, comfortable.  Picked them up at Guitar Centers.  They usually have some sort of coupon.  Got 20% off.  I've also owned Etymotic ER-4P/S and 6is.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2012, 02:38 pm »
JH16's are not as good as the 13's, IMO.  The 16's have too much bass.

Ah. I found somewhere it said that the 16s have +10dB at 50 Hz, the 13s +6dB at 50 Hz. I was more interested in the whole DSP/active concept though, for headphones. Presumably bass response could be adjusted in the DSP, although perhaps not by the end user.

Do you prefer IEMs for all headphone listening, or for specific situations?

dwk

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2012, 07:00 pm »
JohnR, I agree - the JH-3a/JH-16 is very intriguing as an all-in-one digital input system. Standalone, many people seem to echo Tysons opinion that the JH-13 are more neutral and resolving than the JH-16s. However, with the JH-3a in the mix I wonder whether this changes to any degree.  Certainly the all-in-one setup has a degree of attraction and would likely be less expensive than a JH-13 setup by the time you add an appropriate amp and a DAC.
 Tough decision, particularly given how difficult it is to audition.

cujobob

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2012, 07:30 pm »
Highly recommend the jh13. Bought them on a whim when a buddy of mine told me how floored he was with them. I don't know how they come now, but I would have loved to see them come with a better carrying case and cable. My only real issues with their quality.

kwl

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2012, 07:29 pm »
I can recommend the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors (UERM).  I also considered the JH13 and Westone ES5.  I would say that the Head-Fi reviews on the UERM are fairly accurate.  Having essentially no opportunity to demo these 3, I took the plunge on the UERM based on price.  Ultimate Ears honored a Logitech 30% off deal, but others have received this deal at Head-Fi gatherings where Ultimate Ears attended.  The sound of lossless files is incredibly good straight out of an iphone 3GS or a laptop.  The iphone is good enough for travel, but I'm looking into how much better a standalone dac/amp can be for home listening with a laptop and Jriver Media Center 17.  Unfortunately, an iBasso D7 picked up too much noise over USB for me. 

mamba315

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2012, 06:24 am »
For under $100, if the half-off program is still going, the Atrio M5s are really, really good. They retail for $199 but I got my pair for $99 and I love them.

Second this!  I picked up a pair used for about $70.  Better than the $325 Westone UM3x I had, in every way.  Never going back to multi driver BA phones after this.  Actually, I have been using them over my Audeze LCD-2's.  :o  There's something about em that's so darn realistic I can't believe it.  Piano, guitar, cymbal, sitar, drums, trumpet, etc etc just so "right.". They nail "timbre" like nothing else I've heard.  And that includes the big LCD's.

If their universal model is this good, I'm very tempted to order the MG6Pro customs they make.  I don't need full size with IEM's this good.

cujobob

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2012, 08:26 am »
Has anyone tried the Monoprice cheap hifi IEMs that go for around $7? I ordered a pair because people on slickdeals said they sounded amazing for the price and I needed some cables.

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2012, 09:48 am »
Second this!  I picked up a pair used for about $70.  Better than the $325 Westone UM3x I had, in every way.  Never going back to multi driver BA phones after this.  Actually, I have been using them over my Audeze LCD-2's.  :o  There's something about em that's so darn realistic I can't believe it.  Piano, guitar, cymbal, sitar, drums, trumpet, etc etc just so "right.". They nail "timbre" like nothing else I've heard.  And that includes the big LCD's.

If their universal model is this good, I'm very tempted to order the MG6Pro customs they make.  I don't need full size with IEM's this good.

It hurts me to say this cause I REALLY want to love the BeyerD 880s, especially because I'm in love with their comfort, but honestly I prefer the little Atrios to them at this point. Overall my favorite experience so far is with my Grados (325s), but the Atrios are in 2nd place. I'm almost afraid to get some T1s down the road because of this...I almost think I'd be better served doing what you mentioned and going back to Atrio for some customs. But yeah, they are just fantastic IEMs...with the Comply tips even better :D 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:14 am »
Zepp has been saying "Ed you gotta try Atrio's"...give me a link to the website.....I'm in, I just found a bunch of very inexpensive good sounds...zepp and I saw Alltec Lansings for $8- Backbeat...nice, nice...not Atrio nice I'm sure but everyday if I loose them who cares nice.

The Sony buds I got for my PS Vita go for $19.99 and they are excellent also....I can't swing Atrios right now but link me up so I can start obsessing! ...LOL  hhahahaaa.... :scratch:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:55 am »
Those Altecs you told us about are a lot of fun...was happy to send out a few pair to some friends who are still using the Apple buds...hopefully this will give them a small taste of what they're missing :)

As for the ATrios, hopefully that half off deal will continue for a while...it's a fantastic deal. Once I got used to having them in my ears, I started listening to them every night.

Which games did you get for the Vita? Can't wait to hear more about that :)

roymail

• Roy in TX

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:08 pm »
I almost bought those Panasonics once...soon I'll check them out...
links to Sony VITA Earbuds
 http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/accessories/playstation-vita-in-ear-headset/98468

Here are those Alltec ones...
 http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/uhp206
It says out of stock but this place has deals like this all the time....