Recommendations for first Preamp

gkinberg

Recommendations for first Preamp
« on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:11 am »
I am looking into getting my first preamp. My system consists of Salk SongTower speakers; Sony Playstation3 as CD player/source; Onkyo 3007 receiver as preamp; Mcintosh MC7106 amplifier and Morrow interconnect and speaker wire.

I like the way my system sounds but I feel it could sound better. I am looking for a more enveloping sound, more air, a wider and deeper soundstage.

My requirements are at least two inputs, home theater bypass (not even sure how this works but my system doubles as home theater and 2 channel so I need it), and two outputs so that I can run a subwoofer.

Things that are not requirements but that I would like is both single ended and balanced connections. I don’t have a balanced system but it is something that I might like to grow into. I also am very interested in incorporating tubes into my system and I think that the preamp is a good place to do it. However, I don’t want a preamp that has a very expensive tube complement so that tube rolling won’t cost too much.

My budget is around $1000 and I’m looking for input on what you think will work for me.  Thanks for your help, Garth

neekomax

Re: Recommendations for first Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2012, 07:27 am »
I use the Peachtree Audio Decco (Mk I) as a DAC/preamp. It has USB, toslink, coax, and two analog inputs, a tube buffer, and remote control. Sounds great and very convenient. It also has an amp stage that I could use if I wanted.

But better and newer than that, Peachtree Audio is  just releasing this as a dedicated preamp for $1K, the NovaPre:

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Novapre/Novapre.html

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2012, 07:34 am »
I am looking into getting my first preamp. My system consists of Salk SongTower speakers; Sony Playstation3 as CD player/source; Onkyo 3007 receiver as preamp; Mcintosh MC7106 amplifier and Morrow interconnect and speaker wire.

I like the way my system sounds but I feel it could sound better. I am looking for a more enveloping sound, more air, a wider and deeper soundstage.

My requirements are at least two inputs, home theater bypass (not even sure how this works but my system doubles as home theater and 2 channel so I need it), and two outputs so that I can run a subwoofer.

Things that are not requirements but that I would like is both single ended and balanced connections. I don’t have a balanced system but it is something that I might like to grow into. I also am very interested in incorporating tubes into my system and I think that the preamp is a good place to do it. However, I don’t want a preamp that has a very expensive tube complement so that tube rolling won’t cost too much.

My budget is around $1000 and I’m looking for input on what you think will work for me.  Thanks for your help, Garth
Garth, man, I'm excited for you.  For your money, I would contact Frank Van Alstine and see what his version of the classic Dyna tube pre would cost you and if it meets ALL your requirements.  Happy trails, dude, and good for you.

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:20 am »
There's a used Modwright SWL 9.0SE for $950 here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103748.0

It meets all of your requirements, including HT bypass and two line level outputs.  For less than $1000, I don't know of a better full function preamp.  Some good opportunities here to roll tubes too.

Not balanced, but I can't imagine a good, balanced, full function preamp that would hit your desired price point.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm »
There's a used Modwright SWL 9.0SE for $950 here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103748.0

It meets all of your requirements, including HT bypass and two line level outputs.  For less than $1000, I don't know of a better full function preamp.  Some good opportunities here to roll tubes too.

Not balanced, but I can't imagine a good, balanced, full function preamp that would hit your desired price point.

I agree.... 8)

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:58 pm »

Then you haven't heard a YS Audio Experience Balanced A2 preamp.  :nono:    8)

http://www.ys-audio.com/a2.htm

Don't make the usual  "direct from China junk" snap judgement.  This thing is seriously good:   detailed, smooth, dynamic and hugely halographic, with a great set of features.  Dead quiet and completely reliable over my ownership period, it has bettered several "name brand" preamps I've compared it to, one costing 4x its price!! 

Everyone who has heard it in my system has been impressed.  One guy liked it so much he ran out and bought one.

Good luck in your search.

johzel

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2012, 02:14 pm »
I use the Peachtree Audio Decco (Mk I) as a DAC/preamp. It has USB, toslink, coax, and two analog inputs, a tube buffer, and remote control. Sounds great and very convenient. It also has an amp stage that I could use if I wanted.

But better and newer than that, Peachtree Audio is  just releasing this as a dedicated preamp for $1K, the NovaPre:

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Novapre/Novapre.html

I'm currently using the Peachtree Decco2 as a preamp/DAC with a Van Alstine amplifier in my second system and am very happy with it.  I'll be moving to the Peachtree NovaPre as soon as it's released. Should be an awesome product at $999.00.  Terrific value and features - even includes a Class A headphone amp.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2012, 05:08 pm »
There's a used Rogue Audio Metis Magnum on ebay for $875 right now.  It might fit your needs (except the balanced part)

gkinberg

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2012, 05:23 pm »
Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it. A couple of things that I forgot to mention:

Another requirement is a remote volume control. I feel that this is a must.

I don’t listen to vinyl, only CD’s and moving into computer audio, so as I understand it, I won’t need very much gain in the pre.

My amp’s input Impedance is 20,000 ohms. Therefore, with respect to a tube pre, I want it to be compatible so an output impedance of around 1000 - 2000 ohms would be a maximum.

I have been considering two of the mentioned pres here in the modwright and the YS audio, as well as audio research LS15, and the Eastern electric minimax pre. I’m open to both new and used suggestions.

I live in San Diego so if anyone would be interested in letting me audition something that they thought would be suitable, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks, Garth

gkinberg

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2012, 05:35 pm »
Does the Modwright 9SE pre come with a remote contol? Sorry for my ingnorance but I looked on the Modwright site and don't see the 9se listed anywhere.

AB

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2012, 05:55 pm »
Yes. It comes with a remote.

I have one. It's a great pre.

bummrush

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:57 pm »
i dont know that much about MW,just here and there on AC ,,and looking at his site,,,but yes for 950, a bargain big time.

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2012, 07:00 pm »
you could get it and have it shipped straight to MW and i bet they would give it a killer going over and make sure its in tip top shape for you also.

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2012, 07:17 pm »
Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it. A couple of things that I forgot to mention:

Another requirement is a remote volume control. I feel that this is a must.

The EE Minimax sounds excellent, but does not have remote.  The YS does.

gkinberg

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:18 pm »
There's a used Rogue Audio Metis Magnum on ebay for $875 right now.  It might fit your needs (except the balanced part)

I have considered Rouge before and was tempted by the 99 magnum used on audiogon. Not speaking of any particular unit but can generally be had for around $1000. Although, I think I've read that as tube pre's go, it leans more to the side of solid state sounding rather than tube sounding. I guess if I'm going to incorporate tubes into my system, then I'd like to hear them.

It seems that Nova, Modwright, and YS audio have all gotten several nods. Do these three sound "tubey" or solid state like, or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks, Garth

AB

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:27 pm »
The MW SWL 9 is neutral. If the unit has the tube rectifier upgrade, it can be made to sound more "tubey" by rolling various GZ34/5AR4 rectifiers. But, in my opinion, it will never sound like some classic tube gear.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:49 pm »
I have considered Rouge before and was tempted by the 99 magnum used on audiogon. Not speaking of any particular unit but can generally be had for around $1000. Although, I think I've read that as tube pre's go, it leans more to the side of solid state sounding rather than tube sounding. I guess if I'm going to incorporate tubes into my system, then I'd like to hear them.

It seems that Nova, Modwright, and YS audio have all gotten several nods. Do these three sound "tubey" or solid state like, or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks, Garth

Oh you'll hear them!  The 6SN7 is a great sounding preamp tube.  I have the 99 Magnum and I love it.  I don't know how it compares to the Modwright or the YS Audio though.  What people mean when they say Rogue stuff doesn't sound tubey is that it doesn't have the flaws of many tube designs; sluggish, bloated bass and rolled off highs.

sunnydaze

« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:51 pm »
I had the MW in house for awhile.  VG pre if your tastes lean in that direction.  Clean, detailed and dynamic but it kindof left me cold.  I felt the same way about the MW amp I had for awhile.  Must be the house sound.

Didn't pull me in and compel me to listen they way good tube gear does.  But admittedly, I like things just a touch colored.  Others may love what it offers.

gkinberg

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:07 pm »
I had the MW in house for awhile.  VG pre if your tastes lean in that direction.  Clean, detailed and dynamic but it kindof left me cold.  I felt the same way about the MW amp I had for awhile.  Must be the house sound.

Didn't pull me in and compel me to listen they way good tube gear does.  But admittedly, I like things just a touch colored.  Others may love what it offers.

Sunnydaze, would you say that the YS Audio Experience Balanced A2 preamp is colored or neutral? I take it that you preferred it to the MW 9se?

sunnydaze

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:21 pm »
I do prefer the YS.   I also preferred the Minimax for its sublime musicality.  But that is me.  I could see others choosing the MW as it scores higher on some audiophile checklist things.  But I am not a very cerebral listener.  My priority is to be seduced and emotionally connected to the music, so I'm more of a heart listener.

But YS is definitely not super colored or vintage tubey sounding.  It is closer to neutral than that.  It is fairly linear and accurate with a presentation that is clean and clear and fast and dynamic.  It throws a big and dimensional stage (wide, high and deep) and has just a touch of tube warmth to keep it from being sterile or analytical.   If it were I would not keep it, as my tastes are contrary to that.  I team it with amps that lean just a bit in the warm direction, both SS and tube.  At the price, and even beyond, I think it's killer.

John