Recommendations for first Preamp

wilsynet

Re: Recommendations for first Preamp
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2012, 04:40 pm »
Tube rolling with the SWL 9.0SE will let you tailor the sound to your taste and your system.

I'm sure the A2 is perfectly competent, but it's not as well known, at least not to me.  In terms of reputation, the Modwright has a loyal following of customers and has been extensively reviewed by both professionals and users over the long term.  I think that's really worth something.

I've had some very good preamps in my system.  From bargain $400 preamps to $6000 preamps, and I think the Modwright SWL 9.0SE is a class leader.  In other words, I doubt you could go wrong with the Modwright.

sunnydaze

« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2012, 11:02 pm »
   In other words, I doubt you could go wrong with the Modwright.

It's soooooo taste and system / synergy dependent, you can't really make a statement like this.  It also depends on how fastidious and particular you are about achieving a specific sound that is exactly to your taste.  Some are moreso than others.

I was fortunate enough to hear a borrowed unit.  I happen to be pretty particular about what I seek in SQ, and had I bought it on reputation and curiousity like I do with lots of gear, I would have "gone wrong".  No biggie, it happens all the time.  Just saying.

This is in no way a knock on MW.  I have heard (and owned) tons of highly acclaimed and highly reviewed and popular gear that did not float my boat.

sturgus

« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:05 am »
This may exceed your budget by a little but the options are many. Not the best looking preamp but I know he can make it with HT/bypass. The neat thing is the ability to use many different tube compliments. IMO a superb sounding unit.
Sturgus
http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_Cham.html

gkinberg

« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2012, 05:46 am »
This may exceed your budget by a little but the options are many. Not the best looking preamp but I know he can make it with HT/bypass. The neat thing is the ability to use many different tube compliments. IMO a superb sounding unit.
Sturgus
http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_Cham.html

I remember reading about that pre and was intrigued by it. However, you're right, it is above my limit. We all have to set a limit somewhere otherwise I'll soon be buying a DUDE. But thanks for the suggestion.

Currently I'm seriously considering the Modwright 9se, the YS audio experience A2 and a response audio Bella. Nonetheless, I'm still open to ideas.

Garth

wilsynet

« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2012, 06:32 am »
It's soooooo taste and system / synergy dependent, you can't really make a statement like this.

I think I can for the following reasons:

1. It's his first preamp, not his last preamp.  He asked for a first preamp recommendation and I think the MW is safe.  May not be perfect, but certainly safe.

2. At a selling price of $950, I bet it wouldnt be too hard to re-sell the Modwright to someone else for same or near what is paid for it today.  Most of the depreciation has already been recognized.

3. Doubt you'll recover anywhere close to $950 on the $995 new YS preamp.

Anyway, I haven't owned or heard the YS.  I don't really like advocating for one over the other, so I'll just stop here.  But to put it in context, I have had some (to me) very good preamps in my system (including the Dude), and I think the Modwright is very good too.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012, 01:36 pm by wilsynet »

TONEPUB

« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2012, 06:51 am »
I had the MW 9.0 for a couple of years and it was a great preamp.  I was right in-between an ARC LS-3 that was too forward and my CJ PV-12 which was a bit too warm.  The MW was right in the middle.

I'd also say you can't go wrong on a used 9.0.

Emil

« Reply #26 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:29 pm »
Garth
 This might interest you
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103255.0

Remember as the saying goes, " A bird in the hand....."
You have enough excellant recommendations here to confuse you :D
Thats why I ordered the SAS 10a with 30 day return policy. The 7a would be in  your budget if you cant swing for the 10a.
Im having a few friends over with their preamps. With an established baseline, i'll have a better idea of what I like and dont like.

kip_

« Reply #27 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:39 pm »
I'm going to throw in the AVA T8+ into the ring. It's a tube preamp, and by all means is smooth and detailed without being too rolled off.

mhconley

« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:50 pm »
I think the Jaton preamp recommended in another thread is an interesting suggestion and it meets your criteria: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103839.msg1056570#msg1056570

There are demo models of both the P and S from the manufacturer on (gasp) Audiogon right now at $599 and $699 respectively.

I know nothing about them other than what is in the post linked above.

Martin

sunnydaze

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:45 pm »
I think I can for the following reasons:

1. It's his first preamp, not his last preamp.  He asked for a first preamp recommendation and I think the MW is safe.  May not be perfect, but certainly safe.

2. At a selling price of $950, I bet it wouldnt be too hard to re-sell the Modwright to someone else for same or near what is paid for it today.  Most of the depreciation has already been recognized.

3. Doubt you'll recover anywhere close to $950 on the $995 new YS preamp.

Anyway, I haven't owned or heard the YS.  I don't really like advocating for one over the other, so I'll just stop here.  But to put it in context, I have had some (to me) very good preamps in my system (including the Dude), and I think the Modwright is very good too.

All excellent points which I agree with 100% .   :thumb:

point 1:  which is why I said we all have different levels of demand and expectations from our gear as we evolve and go down the audio road.  What I reject now, I'd be absolutely thrilled with 10 years ago.

point 2:  agreed

point 3:  this can be said about any piece of new gear.  Buy used if you are the antsy type that tends to not hang onto gear, else lose your shirt.

I only compare, and express a preference for gear, when I have actually heard it in my own system.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:33 am »
Some good recommendations have been posted Garth....now....
....get out there and audition what you can.... :thumb:

gkinberg

« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm »
Some good recommendations have been posted Garth....now....
....get out there and audition what you can.... :thumb:

stopped by a local shop yesterday and listened to an audio research LS7 and it sounded pretty nice in comparison to a ss rotel preamp that they also displayed. However, it was on consignment and I couldn't take it home to audition so I can't make a very good evaluation. I do think that I liked the injection of tube sound =)

Garth

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2012, 10:25 pm »
There are some models of AR that can run tipped up in treble.  If you listen to it again be sensitive to whether you feel it is full bodied or has more treble.  Not sure about this model and the effect tubes can have in it.

Gvt1911

« Reply #33 on: 26 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm »
Here is a great preamp and I can let it go for $1K. You can roll tubes to suit your needs.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/odyssey-candela-tube-preamp
The output impedance is correct for your needs I believe.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #34 on: 27 Feb 2012, 01:08 am »
a few comments...  re: arc, i am wery familiar w/the ls-16 - overall a wery nice preamp.  i'd likely take it over the others here that i am familiar with.  never heard an ls-7; the only other arc pre i am familiar with is the sp9 mkll, and i think i would rather listen with an old adcom gfp-1a i had at the time - the sp9 was simply dead, w/no "prat". even w/the nos tubes recommended by the dealer.  the modwright is too sterile for my taste - may as well stick with solid state.  the candela is too coloured, not as transparent as i like.  a nice sound, tho... (and, in fairness, i hear this pre is wery sensitive to tube rolling.)  i owned a rogue 99 magnum, and it is way tubey, not at all s/s-like, imo.  also, regardless of its specs, i can tell from experience its output impedance is at least 2kohms.  w/help of cary's dennis had, i crossed a resistor over its outputs, (i forget the walue i was to use), and output noticeably dropped - per dennis, this indicated an output impedance of at least 2kohms.  and driving two outputs w/a preamp is effectively compounding the problem, cutting in half the input impedance the preamp sees.  the rogue wouldn't drive 6m cabling and a 25kohm input amp in my system w/o noticeable reduction of bass & treble.  and its soundstaging was way too bloomy...  speaking of cary, the slp98 i owned was beautiful, and sounded ok, but ultimately lacking in detail and dynamics...

garth, as you know, i would recommend the melos sha-gold i sent you a link for, in my pm. (not the one that shows up on agon if you do a search, but the expired ad.)  it has remote, two outs, tape loop (so you can run a ht receiver w/it), and one of the outs is balanced.  or, hold out and try to nab a dual-mono ma333r, for a bit more coin...  the ma333r is awailable in a balanced iteration w/3 line inputs , or single-ended w/6 line inputs.  both have a balanced line out and two tape loops.  i was happy to trade my 1st balanced ma333r pre for a single-ended one, to get the extra inputs, and the owner of the single-ended pre was happy to pay m.a.r. to upgrade my new-to-me single-ended pre with the tube wolume pot at no charge.   :green:

doug s.

gkinberg

« Reply #35 on: 29 Feb 2012, 06:03 am »
As it turns out, the ARC LS7 doesn't have a remote control so i am less interested in that model. The LS-16 is a very different story. I've never heard it but i would be very interested in that pre but I've never seen it in my price range.

Gvt1911, thanks for calling your pre to my attention. I have considered odyssey's Candela. To be honest, I'm feeling a little confused as to how I should proceed. I have probably about 7 different models that I am now considering. Of course I'd love to have them all in my system and choose the winner but that is not very realistic.

Garth

Ericus Rex

« Reply #36 on: 29 Feb 2012, 05:22 pm »
To be honest, I'm feeling a little confused as to how I should proceed.

Leave it to us to confuse a person    :thumb:

Thirsty

« Reply #37 on: 29 Feb 2012, 06:55 pm »
I have an Adcom GFP-750 thats been sitting here unused for the last 2 years. I've been keeping it as a back up but thinking I might just as well sell it.

I believe it has everything you're looking for, both balanced and single ended outputs, HT bypass, remote control, both active and passive sections.

I'm the original owner and it comes with everything as new, box, manual, remote.

Let me know if interested otherwise I'll probably list it in the Trading Post.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #38 on: 29 Feb 2012, 08:39 pm »
As it turns out, the ARC LS7 doesn't have a remote control so i am less interested in that model. The LS-16 is a very different story. I've never heard it but i would be very interested in that pre but I've never seen it in my price range.

Gvt1911, thanks for calling your pre to my attention. I have considered odyssey's Candela. To be honest, I'm feeling a little confused as to how I should proceed. I have probably about 7 different models that I am now considering. Of course I'd love to have them all in my system and choose the winner but that is not very realistic.

Garth
an adwantage to shopping used is you actually can have two or three preamps in your home at the same time - narrow your choices to two or three you really wanna try.  then you can directly compare.  by patiently shopping used, you should be able to do this and lose little or no money.  keep going until you are satisfied w/the results.  i stopped at my 7th preamp, after a coupla years of searching.   :green:

ymmv,

doug s.

sunnydaze

« Reply #39 on: 1 Mar 2012, 03:02 pm »
an adwantage to shopping used is you actually can have two or three preamps in your home at the same time - narrow your choices to two or three you really wanna try.  then you can directly compare.  by patiently shopping used, you should be able to do this and lose little or no money.  keep going until you are satisfied w/the results.  i stopped at my 7th preamp, after a coupla years of searching.   :green:

ymmv,

doug s.

Bingo!!  Nail hit squarely on head.

I do exactly what doug suggests.  No need to be tense about things, or frozen by the many choices.   Just dive in and get the ball rolling.  You are not married to any decision you make now.  Do your research and buy what interests you in the used market.  If you have the cash to float, always have two in at a time.  Compare.  Keep the winner, sell the loser.  Get another one.  Keep doing so till you find one that floats your boat.

If you are less picky and hold onto gear LT, or are positive about your choice, this approach is less relevant, and buying new becomes more of an option.   I am particular and have been through many preamps.  Shopping used buys better performance for a given budget, and minimizes costs/losses.