Inexpensive audio rack

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
Re: Inexpensive audio rack
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2012, 03:33 am »
I think that IKEA hack involves using a Lack side table's top for the base; you have extra legs in case you screwup cutting some of the others.

Ok. This is interesting. So you remove the legs, and the top of one of the tables is then used as the base. But do you also have to cut off the middle shelfs from each table? Or are those just removable/adjustable.

And what are being used for spikes on each of those legs?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:18 am »
Oh yeah, I also used Lack tables at my old apartment.

jk@home

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm »
Ok. This is interesting. So you remove the legs, and the top of one of the tables is then used as the base. But do you also have to cut off the middle shelfs from each table? Or are those just removable/adjustable.

And what are being used for spikes on each of those legs?

Here's mine when I had it out in the room, I have since added more shelves (and stuff) and stuck it in the back LH closet, seen in the pic (it was getting too tall):

What you do is buy one table for each shelf needed, including the base. The legs screw into the bottom of the shelves with double pointed screws. You determine what leg length (shelf height clearance) you want, and cut the legs so that you retain the top half, to screw into the bottom of the corresponding shelf.

I did one bottom shelf with a 9" inside height space, the rest with a 5-1/2" space.

The legs are hollow in the middle, so what you want to do is then cut off the 2"-3" from the opposite end of the piece of leg "scrap", which has filler wood in it for the original leg bottom. Then run that piece through a table saw, so that it's outside dimension will snugly fit into the hollow leg that you are keeping.

Fit this cut piece with the spike hardware of your choice (got mine from PE, #240-730 "Super Toes", w/ spike bases I had left over from some of their #240-715 spikes), then glue the cut pieces into the hollow legs. The bottom shelf uses no legs, just attach spikes or whatever (I used the #240-715 spikes) directly onto the bottom of the base.

Obviously you will have four legs left over, save them in case you want to change the height of one of the shelves later.

Also it's not a bad idea to order an extra table or two, for future expansion. Or if one of the tables gets trashed in shipping, as the packing job for my Ikea Lacks was horrible.  :evil:

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2012, 02:36 pm by jk@home »

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:44 pm »
I bought a bunch of maple butcher block kitchen tables on Craigs List.  I then cut, stripped, sanded and refinished them.  If you are patient and have the tools and know-how, you can have a great result very cheaply.

Cacophonix

« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm »
sunnydaze, that is a very well made audio rack  :thumb:

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm »
sunnydaze, nice audio rack...well done!

sunnydaze

« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2012, 11:58 pm »

Thanks guys.  If anyone is interested, there are more details on my build (and others) in these two threads:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56322.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63111.0

Back in those days I went by the name "toobluvr", but I had to go underground. 
 8)

kbuzz3

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:32 pm »
Is the top shelf wide enough?

my mistake. I ment to say, in your experience is the norton DEEP enough. Looks kinda narrow from the pic

djbnh

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:46 pm »
my mistake. I ment to say, in your experience is the norton DEEP enough. Looks kinda narrow from the pic
16.5" deep = top shelf;
Lower shelves measure 62"x13".

tomytoons

« Reply #29 on: 6 Mar 2012, 01:01 am »
Something like these?

http://www.nysound.com/exec/servlet/CategoryServlet?action=shopping&category=27

You said cheap. I wonder how sturdy these are.

Sonny

« Reply #30 on: 6 Mar 2012, 01:06 am »
Something like these?

http://www.nysound.com/exec/servlet/CategoryServlet?action=shopping&category=27

You said cheap. I wonder how sturdy these are.

I think these look nice, but I also think that this company is in China that's why shipping is more than the rack.  you should find out more.  Though, how sturdy is a good question?

srb

« Reply #31 on: 6 Mar 2012, 01:19 am »
According to contact info, New York Sound is in Peekskill, NY.  I clicked on one rack, a 3 shelf double wide, to see details and only found weight and dimensions.  Nothing about materials, capacity, etc.  From the enlarged photo the supports look to be economy two-sided aluminum angle, not box section.

It certainly could be worth $195.00, but this $195.00 rack has a shipping charge of $477.28!

Steve

tomytoons

« Reply #32 on: 6 Mar 2012, 01:28 am »
For the shipping, you can have a vacation over there.  :scratch:

forgetaboutit!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #33 on: 6 Mar 2012, 02:11 am »
Going in a different direction, a few years ago I was looking for a rough hewn look. I got it by using pieces of slate. I also got one seriously heavy and inert rack. Kind of outgrown the look at this point.

This cost me a little over $100.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #34 on: 6 Mar 2012, 02:35 am »
Oh yeah, I also used Lack tables at my old apartment.

Hey, I have a pair of speaker stands exactly like those with no manufacturer identified. Who made them?

mhconley

« Reply #35 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:07 am »
According to contact info, New York Sound is in Peekskill, NY.

Sure they are... Google the address, it does not exist.

Plus this is on their home page:
We offer you one place to find the widest selection of high quality hifi products from China available on the internet.

They are drop shipping from China, if you're lucky.

Martin

PS:  There is a nice rack in the Trading Post selling for less than the cost of materials... (If this is over the line let me know and I'll remove this PS.)  :wink:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:34 am »
Nah, you're okay Martin.  As long as you're not a professional anyone's allowed to say "wink, wink, check the trading post". 

And yes, looking at tomytoons' well meaning link, if you look closely at the enlarged pics, you can see how cheap the construction is.  I think they might be worth the sale price, if shipping were free, but not much more. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #37 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:42 am »
I think these look nice, but I also think that this company is in China that's why shipping is more than the rack.  you should find out more.  Though, how sturdy is a good question?

http://www.bbb.org/NYC/business-reviews/printing-brokers/new-york-sound-llc-in-croton-on-hudson-ny-85277/

Sonny

« Reply #38 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:51 am »
I remember requesting some information once, and yes the NJ store is just a front and the real business is in China....not that there's anything wrong with business in China...
 :nono:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #39 on: 6 Mar 2012, 06:35 am »
Hey, I have a pair of speaker stands exactly like those with no manufacturer identified. Who made them?
I bought them so long ago I don't remember.  :duh: