Looking for Headphone Recommendation

johzel

Looking for Headphone Recommendation
« on: 4 Feb 2012, 03:16 pm »
Greetings.  I'd like to venture into the headphone world.  I'll be using the phones with my Peachtree Decco2.  The specifications for the Decco2 headphone amp:  Maximum output power: 100mW into 8 Ohm / 300mW into 150 Ohm / 150mW into 300 Ohm.

I'd like to purchase headphones of the planar variety.  Hifiman, Audeze?  I understand they tend to be power hungry and wonder if my Peachtree will handle their power needs.  I thought I might just "start" with the new HE-400's which I believe are fairly efficient?  Are there others that might be a good recommendation for the Peachtree?  Budget?  Well, as a first effort I'm thinking $500ish - give or take.

Many thanks.

Audioclyde

Re: Looking for Headphone Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2012, 04:08 pm »
I'm new to serious headphone listening, but I'm loving my Audeze LCD-2's. I have ran them straight from an IPod and it was definitely listenable, so they are more efficient than I suspected.

That being said, when I power them with my portable ALO Continental Mk II amp, we are talking great sound.  And for another step up, powered by my Leben CS300 integrated, the sound is just to die for IMHO!

I'm not familiar with your Peachtree, but I suspect the folks at Audeze would be quite helpful. Their customer service when I was auditioning headphones was second to none.

Best,

Randy

slwiser

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2012, 04:33 pm »
Based on reviews and your goals check out Moon Audio with their pricing on the HiFiMan HE-500.  I know it is a little over your budget but the HE-500 is considered world class by many.  World Class being having no compromised sound quality just different.

johzel

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:00 pm »
Based on reviews and your goals check out Moon Audio with their pricing on the HiFiMan HE-500.  I know it is a little over your budget but the HE-500 is considered world class by many.  World Class being having no compromised sound quality just different.

Thanks a bunch, from their website (regarding the HE-500): First, you do not need a high powered amp to get the true potential out of his headphones anymore. He has enlarged the magnets to squeeze out more sensitivity and changed the load to 38ohms.

Will definitely add to "the list".     

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:20 pm »
I'm still pretty new to the world of headphones too, but I think the Grado PS500s would probably be a very good match for the Peachtree. I have the little SR80is and fell in love with them...I have the PS500s on my wish list, along with the HifiMan 500s and the BeyerD T1s.

Whatever you get, please be sure to report back!

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:05 pm »
 :)
I have to say I have heard a lot of cans that are just an absolute bargain and I love them all. Senn, Grado, Hifiman etc.
The cans I have been traveling with (listening to AIFF on iPad) are the KRK KNS 8400.
Get ready for about 6 month break in period of not quite as smooth as they eventually get but sound quite good right out of the box. I do like my second pair on a magnitude of 100% better than my first.
Tom

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:32 pm »

I have the Byer DT 990 600 Ohm.  Love them to death.  The Peach should be a good match.

won ton on

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:52 pm »
try the grado ps 500's i've found that they are a lot more efficient than my senn 580's.they aren't too far over your budget. plus the grados sound great and they have more bass than the senn's

johzel

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:28 pm »
Appreciate all the suggestions so far.  :thumb: Think I'm leaning toward the HE-500's at this point but will continue reading reviews, etc.   :scratch: Am guessing I couldn't go wrong with any of the headphones listed.  THANKS.

Neogeo333

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2012, 07:26 am »
I have the Byer DT 990 600 Ohm.  Love them to death.  The Peach should be a good match.

+1, most comfortable cans i have, unlike HD650 these are just perfect.  Sounds good too but whats really shine is the bass, whole lot of bass.

johzel

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2012, 03:24 pm »
I spent some of the weekend reading reviews etc.  I've decided to take the Hifiman HE-400's off my list given the concerns I read about QC and even customer service (for that model).  Sounds like the mass production of this model still has some tweaks required.  Removed the LCD-2's as well - require more power than the Decco2 provides to be at their best and frankly more than I want to spend.  So, I'm down to four I think:

1.  Hifiman HE-500
2.  Beyer DT 990 (600 Ohm)
3.  Sennheiser HD 650's
4.  Grado PS-500 or RS2's

Mostly listen to jazz, strong voices both male and female, some classical and on ocassion some Rock and Roll . . . So whatever best matches those genre's and my Decco2 will probably be the way I go.  Just starting to realize that weight and comfort also require consideration.  Build quality and reliability are high on my list also. Still leaning towards the HE-500's (the planar "sound") and appreciate all the advice from those of you who have more experience with headphones.  Well, I don't have any experience with headphones actually.  :duh:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2012, 03:31 pm »
I have the Hifiman HE-5LE's and everytime I put them on to listen I smile a big smile. I also own a pair of Grado's that I modded and they sound awesome as well, in fact I am buying some PS-500's as soon as I can swing it because I love the look and I know the grado sound and love it so they may be my last purchase of cans for awhile.....I have 5 pair of assorted brands and quality and after trying a bunch I still love my HE-5LE's and Grado's.......If you can swing the HE-500's I think you'll be making a great choice!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2012, 04:38 pm »
Akg is another brand to consider on the genres you listen to. But im not sure how good synergy do they have with your decco2.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:38 am »
That's a great short list man...I'm really looking forward to hearing about the direction you go in!  I'll preface this by stating that I have yet to audition those on your short list, but based on my own research the two "500s" are typically considered to be in another class than the BeyerD 990 and the Senn 650. I've read several accounts from very experienced head-fi'ers that the Grado 550s give up very little to the $1600 PS1000s, and the HifiMan HE-500s get you really close to the perfection than many consider the HE-6 to represent. If you're going for an exceptional set of phones in its price class, the BeyerD and Senn 650s are probably excellent. But I sort of get the impression that you want to be in rarer air, so to speak, and it would seem that either of the 500s would get you much closer, you know?

Just thinking out loud here, that's all :)  I know that I was pretty set on the BeyerD DT880s at first, but I've all but crossed them off my list in favor of the T1, PS500, Audeze LCD-2, and HifiMan HE-500.

I spent some of the weekend reading reviews etc.  I've decided to take the Hifiman HE-400's off my list given the concerns I read about QC and even customer service (for that model).  Sounds like the mass production of this model still has some tweaks required.  Removed the LCD-2's as well - require more power than the Decco2 provides to be at their best and frankly more than I want to spend.  So, I'm down to four I think:

1.  Hifiman HE-500
2.  Beyer DT 990 (600 Ohm)
3.  Sennheiser HD 650's
4.  Grado PS-500 or RS2's

Mostly listen to jazz, strong voices both male and female, some classical and on ocassion some Rock and Roll . . . So whatever best matches those genre's and my Decco2 will probably be the way I go.  Just starting to realize that weight and comfort also require consideration.  Build quality and reliability are high on my list also. Still leaning towards the HE-500's (the planar "sound") and appreciate all the advice from those of you who have more experience with headphones.  Well, I don't have any experience with headphones actually.  :duh:

Sparky14

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:41 am »
Another happy DT990/600 owner here.....just can't imagine much better without getting MUCH more expensive

johzel

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2012, 03:03 pm »
That's a great short list man... But I sort of get the impression that you want to be in rarer air, so to speak, and it would seem that either of the 500s would get you much closer, you know?

Good "catch".  I've 99% decided upon the Hifiman HE-500's.  Their planar sound with greater efficiency (to match the Class A Headphone amp on the Decco2) just seem to be what I'm after.  Maybe a tad heavy but apparently still very comfortable and the reviews from Headphone sites seem very encouraging.   Figure this might be a good alternative for me - "Maggie 3.7's for the head"  :lol: . . . .  Thanks All!!!   :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2012, 05:53 pm »
Nice...with the price drop to $699, those are a hard deal to pass up! I know what you mean about the Maggies for the head...that's why I'm so interested in the planars too, cause I have my Maggie 3.6s staring at me as we speak and I love 'em!

guest1632

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:14 am »
I have the Hifiman HE-5LE's and everytime I put them on to listen I smile a big smile. I also own a pair of Grado's that I modded and they sound awesome as well, in fact I am buying some PS-500's as soon as I can swing it because I love the look and I know the grado sound and love it so they may be my last purchase of cans for awhile.....I have 5 pair of assorted brands and quality and after trying a bunch I still love my HE-5LE's and Grado's.......If you can swing the HE-500's I think you'll be making a great choice!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Hi, How much are these Grados? What did you do to modify them? I haven't heard any of the Grado line. So I don't know how good or bad they are.

Ray Bronk

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2012, 10:37 am »
Here is a link to a bunch of the Grado's at audio advisor..the SR60i are the entry level model and the ones I tweaked were SR125's, not the i model, mine were older original Grado's.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=45

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:21 pm »
Ed, You forgot to put up your Grado mod link!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90509.0