Looking for Headphone Recommendation

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Looking for Headphone Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:26 pm »
I've owned or used extensively almost all these options, and for your preferences, it's either the 650's or the HE-500's, both are outstanding and best in class, IMO.  I'd add in the Audeze LCD-1.  Or, if you can find them used, the Beyer T1's are just about the best headphone I've heard, period. 

saisunil

« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:39 am »
Audeze are easier to drive compared to HE 500 ... I think 500 are the headphone bargain of the decade ... LCD-2 are just unbelievably amazing - all less than $1000 new and between $500 and $700 used ...

I think you can do better than HD650 - they are ~10 years old technology ...

Grados have very small soundstage and very upfront - great for rock and pop and small Jazz or may be some Chamber - but beyond that I am not so sure - of course they have color to the sound some love 'em like cool shades and some run away from them ...

LCD-2 or HE-500 - pick one - these are top tier phone, (outside of uber-expensive stuff) 

johzel

« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:23 pm »
Well, after extensive reading and obsessing I decided to go with a pair of HD-650's and add a Blue Dragon cable - never been a real fan of silver cabling. Was able to get the phones and cable for my original budget.  Couldn't be more pleased - didn't realize how awesome headphones were to listen to.  I see how a person could easily live with headphones as their exclusive "speakers". In the end the 650's seemed to be a good match for my Peachtree headphone amp.  I must admit to already be wondering what other phones might sound like . . . what a separate headphone amp might add . . . "silver" cables . . . oh crap  :duh:

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2012, 04:52 pm »
Well, after extensive reading and obsessing I decided to go with a pair of HD-650's and add a Blue Dragon cable - never been a real fan of silver cabling. Was able to get the phones and cable for my original budget.  Couldn't be more pleased - didn't realize how awesome headphones were to listen to.  I see how a person could easily live with headphones as their exclusive "speakers". In the end the 650's seemed to be a good match for my Peachtree headphone amp.  I must admit to already be wondering what other phones might sound like . . . what a separate headphone amp might add . . . "silver" cables . . . oh crap  :duh:

Based on what I've observed so far, it's really pretty easy to move headphone gear. Therefore, my approach went from stressing over making the right decision to just trying as much stuff as I felt like trying, and then keeping what sticks. It's been a lot of fun that way.

That Peachtree gear is really nice looking...I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a Nova once or twice, and sooner or later I'm sure I probably will.

johzel

« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2012, 06:43 pm »
That Peachtree gear is really nice looking...I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a Nova once or twice, and sooner or later I'm sure I probably will.

I'm very happy with the Decco2's preamp/DAC sections.  I have it connected to a Van Alstine amp (so no need of the built-in amplifier) which is why I'm really looking forward to the soon to be released NovaPre preamp/DAC.  At $995 I'm thinking it's a great value.  I will likely place a preorder in the next few days.

http://peachtreeaudio.com/index.php/Novapre/Novapre.html

guest1632

« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2012, 05:26 am »
Appreciate all the suggestions so far.  :thumb: Think I'm leaning toward the HE-500's at this point but will continue reading reviews, etc.   :scratch: Am guessing I couldn't go wrong with any of the headphones listed.  THANKS.

Audio Advisor also carries them.

Ray Bronk

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2012, 01:08 pm »
Headphones are such a personal taste thing.  I own the HD650 and the Beyer DT990-600 ohm.  I like them both.  With that said, the Beyer is bass heavy...period and the highs can get pretty sharp.  Very comfortable, huge soundstage and very transparent...although a bit recessed in the midrange.

The Senns have good bass with a small bump in the midbass.  The mids IMO are superior to the Beyer and are wonderful for vocals.  The highs are laid back....although there's a small peak in the upper midrange.  The soundstage is good...but the Beyers win there.   Comfort is very good...small step behind the beyers.  Both sets sound good...with the Senns sounding better on vocals and acoustic jazz and the Beyers allowing you to hear a bit deeper in to the recording.

YMMV...   :lol:

johzel

« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2012, 02:51 pm »
I have the new Peachtree Nova Pre in the house - paired with the 240 AVA Insight+ amp.  I think the Peachtree products have a ridiculously high value per dollar value.  At least that's my opinion. Am sitting listening to my HD650's through it's headphone amp and am very satisfied with both purchases.  The Senn's were a great first headphone purchase - at least for me. Although, I did discover I have an old pair of Yamaha HP-2's I had completely forgotten about.  Perfect condition still - and sound great.  So, now I'm looking for a headphone amp to place with main system - with a $500 budget.  Short list:
1. Ming Da MC 84CO7
2. Elekit TU-882AS (some assembly required  :( )
3. Woo WA3
4. Any of the Schiit's

Leaning toward buying one of the first two. Sort of like the idea of tubes as you can tell  :D  I can see why you headphones guys (and ladies) end up with so many pieces of equipment.

milford3

« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2012, 05:07 pm »
The best $700.00 I have spent is on the Beyer DT990 600 Ohm and the Schiit Valhalla tube amp.
It's a marriage made in heaven.   :thumb: