A day out with my new zoom....

SET Man

A day out with my new zoom....
« on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:30 am »
Hey!

Although I have been saving money for new computer but I ended up with this instead....

Sony 24-70mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens. I got it during Sony usual sale near the end of the year to early January. It was on sale and it is one of lenses on my list to have so I caved in and got it! :icon_lol:

I wanted to see some exhibitions at MoMA so I took it out for a walk last Sunday for the first time and snapped some shots at MoMA and few walking to down NYC's street to catch the subway home...

Anyway, here are a few more as slide show...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8309248@N06/sets/72157629063107643/show/

Or to the set..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8309248@N06/sets/72157629063107643/

Well, after seen the pictures from this lens with from my now almost 5 years old Sony A700 DSLR I have to say that it was money well spent. True that the A700 with it APS-C size censor won't fully utilize this full frame zoom. Still even as a 36-105mm on the A700 I like the image quality from this zoom.

Before this zoom my main zoom was Sony 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*, this is designed for APS-C size sensor giving 35mm equivalent of 24-120mm. A much wider range but surprisingly when I was out with the 24-70mm I didn't missed the wider zoom range of the 16-80mm much. Although I found myself moving back to take the shots more than usual but not by much .

So, what do I like about this lens. 1. Image quality 2. Faster and constant aperture at f2.8 3. Built quality What I don't like? 1. Weight 2.   No internal zoom, the lens extended out when zooming.... yeah I know most of them are like these.

The other thing that bug me a bit is that currently Sony have only one FF DSLR the A900 that came out back in 2008. It is still a great DSLR but maybe an updated version is due soon. It would be nice to have something like A900 but with current sensor technology... Sony can still  leave out video out, I really don't care about that. I just want an old fashion SLR feel.

Yes, I'm planning to go FF in the future and this lens will be there ready for it. So, look like I can cross out this one off my list of lenses to have. :wink: Well, there are two more lenses that I would like to get still  :icon_lol: Hey! Computer's price keep dropping and they are getting better but these lenses' price tend to go up... actually I think this zoom used to be $50 less about a year and a half a go.

Well, look like I will still have to do post process on my now almost 8 years old 12" Apple Power Book G4.  :icon_lol:

BTW.... hmmm, I know some of you photo guys here have newer calibrated screen. How do they look on your screen?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: A day out with my new zoom....
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm »
Very cool.
I won't comment on my screen here at work. Presently sitting under a hundred florescent bulbs.
BUt they're pretty neat looking Buddy.

Bob

boisty

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2012, 11:20 pm »
Some great shots there.  Looks like a stellar lens....Congrats

Boisty

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2012, 03:04 am »
Hey!

Thanks guys :D It is a very nice lens indeed. A healthy 2lbs baby.

I haven't have time to play around with it more but good to know it is there on my shelf when I need it. Definitely a keeper for sure. :D

Take care,

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2012, 03:28 am »
2.8 through and through? Looks pretty sweet!

navi

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:55 am »
Image quality looks good- better than my canon 5Dmk2 + 24-70 2.8. it's a crap soft lens these days

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm »
2.8 through and through? Looks pretty sweet!

Hey!

Yes, it is. A constant f2.8 lens.

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm »
Image quality looks good- better than my canon 5Dmk2 + 24-70 2.8. it's a crap soft lens these days

Hey!

Thanks navi :D Good to hear this from you since I know your workstation and screen are way better and up to date than what I'm using right now  :icon_lol:

It is pretty sharp wide open but I can't say for sure how sharp this lens is on the corners since I'm using it right now with APS-C cam.

But I've seen some pictures taken with this lens and the Sony A900 FF DSLR, they are pretty sharp edge to edge and feel film-like to me. I have to say this make me want to get the Sony A900. :?

Take care,

navi

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm »
go full frame- lots of benefits in having a larger sensor.

you should do a comparison with a prime lens. (my zooms are soft with a colour cast. compared to my 50mm and 100mm

just convinced a friend to get 3 prime lenses instead of the canon 16-35 2.8 it worked out cheaper and the image quality would have been so much better.

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2012, 08:35 pm »

Hopefully canon improved the IQ substantially with the new 24-70 f/2.8 Mk II, but at $2300, it's a tough pill to swallow.  Hell, I can buy the 85L II at $1940 at B&H right now, for God's sake.

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:47 pm »
Interesting.  I did not know there was such a thing as a fixed-aperture modern lens, I assumed that was in the realm of the olden times barrel lenses.  The sample shots are nice, but then again Buddy knows what he's doing.  :D

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2012, 11:48 pm »
go full frame- lots of benefits in having a larger sensor.

you should do a comparison with a prime lens. (my zooms are soft with a colour cast. compared to my 50mm and 100mm

just convinced a friend to get 3 prime lenses instead of the canon 16-35 2.8 it worked out cheaper and the image quality would have been so much better.

Hey!

navi, I do have a few primes, mostly from the day of Minolta. And yes a simple 20 years old Minolta 50mm f1.7 of which around $100 used will give the Zeiss zoom a run around.

The thing is most of the time my photography will be on the go so using primes won't be very convenient. So, I use my zooms more than the primes that I have. But I have to say that the color and contrast of this Sony's Zeiss zoom is different than my Minolta/Sony lenses. Not that I don't like Minolta's color, contrast, sharpness and etc.... I do and love it still. But there is something about German lenses and their coating... yes I know my new zoom is not a true German Zeiss, it is a Japanese made Zeiss.

Talking about full-frame body. Yes, I do want to someday but as of right now I just can't justify the cost right now and not to mention that Sony only have one FF body right now. The new one is coming out soon, but I hope it won't based on their translucent mirror technology  :roll:

Anyway, so far there are other two lenses that I want.
1. Sony's Zeiss 85mm f1.4
2. Sony's Zeiss 16-35mm f2.8

Take care,

navi

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2012, 12:00 am »
But there is something about German lenses and their coating... yes I know my new zoom is not a true German Zeiss, it is a Japanese made Zeiss.

Anyway, so far there are other two lenses that I want.
1. Sony's Zeiss 85mm f1.4
2. Sony's Zeiss 16-35mm f2.8

The 85 1.4 would be great you should buy the Zeiss manual focus 85mm.

There is something beautiful with German lenses but i'm no romantic - I like Japanese made glass - even Hasselblad uses Fuji glass. less distortion and chromatic aberrations than old german lenses.

SET Man

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2012, 12:27 am »

The 85 1.4 would be great you should buy the Zeiss manual focus 85mm.

There is something beautiful with German lenses but i'm no romantic - I like Japanese made glass - even Hasselblad uses Fuji glass. less distortion and chromatic aberrations than old german lenses.

Hey!

Yes, the 85mm is next on my list. :D

Your right about the older German glass. I'm not sure if my new zoom is actually 100% Zeiss. Since Sony have access to Minolta design s and the team. I think is more of collaboration between the two. Minolta have their own similar zoom back than on their G lenses line.

Talking about distortion. I think newer lenses today are pretty darn amazing compared to oder lenses.... especially with the chromatic aberrations. I think this have to do to the dawn of digital photography and the flat sensor and not the layer like film.

Fuji make glass for Hassy now? I thought they only have Zeiss  lenses? 

I know they make Fujinon large format lenses. And I think the photographer I work for part time have one or two... older one but there are very good I remember.

BTW... navi, it is good to have a pro photographer like you around here so I can talk about this kind of thing not just which camera brand is best for_______.  :lol:

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2012, 12:58 am »
Interesting.  I did not know there was such a thing as a fixed-aperture modern lens, I assumed that was in the realm of the olden times barrel lenses.  The sample shots are nice, but then again Buddy knows what he's doing.  :D

Hey!

Thanks Nathan. :D

But do I know what I am doing? I hope so! :lol: I have to say that I'm way behind when is come to digital photography. I think there are many 12 years old out there who know how to use Photoshop way better than me.  :icon_lol:

Take care,

nathanm

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2012, 05:46 am »
Well for one you understand the need for appropriate sharpening intended for screen display.  Plus your shots tend to have a very even and natural looking contrast to them.  Not too hyped, but they still pop.

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm »
Well for one you understand the need for appropriate sharpening intended for screen display.  Plus your shots tend to have a very even and natural looking contrast to them.  Not too hyped, but they still pop.

Hey!

Thanks Nathan :D

Well, lately I've been a bit worry since my workstation is getting old. I'm still using this...

Apple 12" PowerBook G4 1GHz with Photoshop CS2  :icon_lol: Yup, all my photos since 2004 came from this little computer. :D Actually I have had this computer before I got my first digital camera. So, with you saying that I think the LCD on this old little computer still OK.

Yes, I will get new computer soon... unless I ended up getting an another new lens again. :lol: But I sometime I checked my photos at the photographer's studio I work for part time and on the new iMac at the store just to see how they look on new screen. Hmmm... I wonder if my photos will look different if I process them on the new computer screen.

As for sharpening... I know it is a bit tricky. But I do sharpen a bit more for printing job and so far this seems to work well for me. And I'm more of "straight photography" kind of guy I have to say, trying to present it as I saw it the moment I press the shutter button. I post process my digital as I would do in the traditional darkroom most of the time. Of course sometime I do thing beyond that depend on what I have in mind.

Anyway, mean while this little PB G4 and CS2 seem to work fine... for now. :wink: 

Take care,

nathanm

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:00 am »
Damn…and I thought my Mac was old!  (My dad has me beat though, he's still rocking the Pentium 166.  Not to do Photo-editing of course, more in the Video Poker realm of computing power.)

Still running CS2 on my work computer though as well.  I did briefly use a modern version of Photoshop and I was a little sad to see that they've changed how some basic things work.  I'm sure I'll get used to it when the day comes, if ever.

In some sense, for the majority of image work a person could probably get away with using an even older version of Photoshop, but all the little details start adding up.

Screens are weird things.  You'd think that everybody's photos would be unbearable to look at given the range of differences, but one's eyes adapt to whatever.  I'm eagerly looking forward to getting to use my 30" Dell panel on a worthy machine.  I hooked it up to my G5 at work briefly and it was a dreamboat.  So…much…space!

navi

« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:34 am »
damn! G4 powerbook! Surprised it still works-  I recently gave away a G5 tower that i had  given to my dad because flash updates for safari no longer support non-intel chips.

As a CS2 user you'll hate CS4 and 5.

I recently acquired (for free) a Flextight Precision II scanner- still running OS9.2 on my old G4 dual processor 450mhz - scans are beautiful but the software is driving me nuts!

nathanm

« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:07 pm »
Niiice!  I'd love to see what a Flextight could do.  I really like the mounting concept on those.  No glass, no films or fluid.  Way out of my league, but an interesting piece of hardware.  The current Hasselblad versions look kinda like the "Wilson Audio" of scanners.  Towering, sleek, robotic, very expensive…