A day out with my new zoom....

SET Man

Re: A day out with my new zoom....
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2012, 04:50 am »
Hey!

Nathan, navi.... yes I'm still rocking my 12" PowerBook G4  :icon_lol: Although lately sometime it won't shut off, just have blank blue screen but other than that it works fine and I do have everything backed up on two HDDs Knock on wood here :lol: There are things that I can't do now but luckily last year I've got an iPad as a gift so that help me a bit with web surfing. But mostly I still use my PB G4 :D I was going to buy the iMac early last year but didn't since I don't do much photo processing now and don't feel the need for new computer... so look like I will hold on to this little machine a bit longer.

Man! navi you got that Imacon for free? Nice! They are pricey for sure but they can do magic with films scan. There is a darkroom rental place here in NYC with Imacon scanners for rent, my photo boss go there to scan films there, mostly with 4x5 and the result is pretty amazing. Oh! Yeah, they still have traditional color and B&W darkroom there too.

Talking about scanner. I bought a HP G4050 flatbed scanner a year ago... well it was the cheapest one that can do 4X5. I thought it would help me with film scanning but I didn't like the result and haven't use  at all. Actually I get better result using my DSLR with 100mm macro lens as film scanner than that thing. Wish I have a better film scanner since I sometime take out my old film cams out and don't feel like setting up the wet darkroom again... yet  :?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

navi

« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2012, 12:36 pm »
hey buddy - is the ipad processor faster than the G4?
i have a friend who photographs his negs like a contact sheet with his 5D mkII  works really well. easier than darkroom printing or scanning!

nathanm

« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2012, 03:20 pm »
My G5 does the same refuse-to-shutdown crap from time to time too.  Not sure what causes it, but giving it one or more of the usual suspects usually solves it (repair disk permissions, Safe Boot\Restart, run Disk Warrior, Reset PRAM etc.)  I have also had some luck with logging out and then shutting down.  I must concede that my Windows machine trumps all in this regard: hit the power button on the thing and Windows starts closing apps, (force-quitting as necessary) and then powers off.  Way cool.  So far it hasn't gotten hung up on anything, but maybe that would be different if I had open documents that needed saving.  Really all that would be needed for a completely hands-off shutdown would be for each application to save whatever the hell you had open in a temporary directory and then ask you to sync up that and your original source file when you came back to it.  But try shutting down a Mac with an unsaved file anywhere and you're SOL.  Well like I said, maybe I'd be SOL on Windows too.  I'll have to test it.

SET Man

« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:02 am »
hey buddy - is the ipad processor faster than the G4?
i have a friend who photographs his negs like a contact sheet with his 5D mkII  works really well. easier than darkroom printing or scanning!

Hey!

No, the iPad is not faster than my old PowerBook G4 but it dose have more up to date web browser and it does play videos like those on youtube better.

Talking about digitizing negs. Yes, that is what I've been doing using my Sony A700 DSLR to digitize my negs. Here are some that I did a while back....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60285.0

Not a great examples since they are from old vintage cams with old simple lens.

For the Kodak Brownie, since the neg is pretty big I used 6x9cm film holder from my Beseler 45 enlarger and it's condenser head to illuminated those negs. And doing it one at the time... with a bit of bracketing.

For the Kodak Signet I saved some time with those 35mm by making a light table and digitizing them 3 frames at a time than cropped them up. But now I think I should have done them one by one with film holder instead :roll:

Looking at those photos of meetings I have to say I missed the good old day or New York Audio Rave.  :?

Anyway, yes... this process work well for me. I feel the finals look better than those from the cheap HP scanner. But it is a slow process... I still have some negs that I've been wanting to digitize. Well, would love to have the Imacon even older one for this. :D

BTW... those pics are sized to 640 since it was easier to post on thread but not so great viewing as slide show. But now I upload larger size on flickr since now they have resizing to 640 feature.

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:11 am »
My G5 does the same refuse-to-shutdown crap from time to time too.  Not sure what causes it, but giving it one or more of the usual suspects usually solves it (repair disk permissions, Safe Boot\Restart, run Disk Warrior, Reset PRAM etc.)  I have also had some luck with logging out and then shutting down.  I must concede that my Windows machine trumps all in this regard: hit the power button on the thing and Windows starts closing apps, (force-quitting as necessary) and then powers off.  Way cool.  So far it hasn't gotten hung up on anything, but maybe that would be different if I had open documents that needed saving.  Really all that would be needed for a completely hands-off shutdown would be for each application to save whatever the hell you had open in a temporary directory and then ask you to sync up that and your original source file when you came back to it.  But try shutting down a Mac with an unsaved file anywhere and you're SOL.  Well like I said, maybe I'd be SOL on Windows too.  I'll have to test it.

Hey!

Yeah, it is a pain and I'm not sure why this happen.

The original HDD that came with this machine died and I changed it back in 2006. Other than that and shutting off problem everything work fine.

Anyway, the shutting off problem seems to happen more often now lately but I kinda got used to it. And I'm not worry since I back everything up twice on 2 external HDDs. So, I'm not in a hurry to get a new mac yet :D

Take care,

Æ

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:53 am »

When was the last time you reinstalled your OS?

I'm pretty sure you are NOT SOL if your file system has journaling enabled. But, I don't know if Tiger has the Mac OSX Extended Journaling file system or not. Since you are on a G5 I'm assuming you are using Tiger (10.4).

nathanm

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2012, 06:04 pm »
My drives have always been formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled), (don't know what that means…yet, but that's what I've always used) but I don't see how that has anything to do with the Shutdown problem. 

If you have an open document with unsaved changes made to it in any application and you hit the Shutdown Command it will not work.  The app will not quit and the shutdown process will stop.  As far as I know there's never been any system-wide, intelligent solution to this problem.  Sure you could make each app save the open documents before quitting, which could be good or bad.  Good if you made desired changes and forgot to save, bad if you were messing around and didn't want to keep the changes.  That's why a separate copy would be ideal, the only way it could be done without further user intervention.

Æ

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2012, 08:24 pm »
My drives have always been formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled), (don't know what that means…yet, but that's what I've always used) but I don't see how that has anything to do with the Shutdown problem. 

If you have an open document with unsaved changes made to it in any application and you hit the Shutdown Command it will not work.  The app will not quit and the shutdown process will stop.  As far as I know there's never been any system-wide, intelligent solution to this problem.  Sure you could make each app save the open documents before quitting, which could be good or bad.  Good if you made desired changes and forgot to save, bad if you were messing around and didn't want to keep the changes.  That's why a separate copy would be ideal, the only way it could be done without further user intervention.

Journaling is enabled by default. Seems to be particularly useful for servers. I'm not sure it has any benefits for me, on my computer. In fact I decided to disable journaling as a way to minimize overhead. I do regular backups, so I'm never worried about losing anything anyway.

I'm of the opinion that a reformat and a clean install is the answer to many weird problems, especially when we added update after update to the system.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2012, 03:01 am by Æ »

nathanm

« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2012, 08:47 pm »
You're never worried about losing anything you mean! :)

I read up on it and I'm sure it has saved our bacon on many occasions, but then again I am not sure of what it's like to use non-Journaled.  I'm reading some interesting things about it, thanks for the tip!

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/7609/what-are-the-differences-between-journaling-hfs-and-non-journaling-hfs

System was re-installed not long ago as it is a new machine after my old one blew up.  It must be software-related because the old one would do the same thing from time to time.

I know that a reformat and reinstall is great, but there's just sooo much stuff to reset afterwards.  It's like taking a leaf blower to the beautiful stack of cards you just spent a month building.  I wish there was a way to completely isolate operating system files and user files so that you could cleanly reinstall the OS at will and not have to go in and reset your e-mail and application preferences etc.

Æ

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:06 am »
You're never worried about losing anything you mean! :)

I read up on it and I'm sure it has saved our bacon on many occasions, but then again I am not sure of what it's like to use non-Journaled.  I'm reading some interesting things about it, thanks for the tip!

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/7609/what-are-the-differences-between-journaling-hfs-and-non-journaling-hfs

System was re-installed not long ago as it is a new machine after my old one blew up.  It must be software-related because the old one would do the same thing from time to time.

I know that a reformat and reinstall is great, but there's just sooo much stuff to reset afterwards.  It's like taking a leaf blower to the beautiful stack of cards you just spent a month building.  I wish there was a way to completely isolate operating system files and user files so that you could cleanly reinstall the OS at will and not have to go in and reset your e-mail and application preferences etc.

I just hate it when I misspell a word, especially since I'm in the habit of noticing, correcting other's/others' spelling.

I did all my JFS reading over at WIKIPEDIA.