What to upgrade?

Darrenmcc

What to upgrade?
« on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:02 am »
I'm currently using a Bryston BCD-1 cd player, Esoteric AI-10 integrated amp, and PMC FB1i speakers. The speaker cables are Morrow Audio SP1's, interconnects are Morrow Audio MA2 xlr's and power cables are Shunyata Venoms. No power/line conditioner. I have a small to mid size room, 16x13x8, and it's fully furnished and carpeted with an open staircase. What would you upgrade in this system?

Mag

Re: What to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:46 am »
Well, you've got a pretty good system there! 8)

Okay if it was mine I'd upgrade the PMC FB1i to OB1i to get better bass extension. That is if you like the sound of the PMC's.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:30 am »
Well, you've got a pretty good system there! 8)

Okay if it was mine I'd upgrade the PMC FB1i to OB1i to get better bass extension. That is if you like the sound of the PMC's.
Ditto.

tim92gts

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:11 am »
Nice little amp but i'd say you're short on power, what about an active sub?
I think you'll have to have one with high level inputs otherwise the TLE1 would have been the obvious choice.
REL Stentor III maybe?

Darrenmcc

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:32 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps James could offer his opinion? Am I short on power and maybe require a sub? The room is not very big. What about the PMC Twenty.24's as opposed to the OB1i's?

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:47 pm »
Hi Darren
What do you feel your lacking?-Bass,mid/hi?
Do you listen at high volumes?
EG#1-Bigger speakers need more power
more power means either seperates or bigger int.
If you go bigger,it requires more change latter(but we love change)
Keep your eyes open on the used market for some good gear for change.

SoundGame

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:33 pm »
To make further enhancements to your system - you could consider the following:

Adding a high-end DAC e.g. BDA and streaming hi-res files but this would mean it would make sense to sell the BCD and move to a dedicated (more cost effective) transport - if you're using CD still as a source.

I would not get into subs unless you are looking for a whole lotta tweaking - two subs are better than one.

If you do like the PMC sound then yes, consider moving up the chain to get greater resolution and bass impact.  The twenty series has a different sound then the i-series, as I understand it, so you would need to audition.

If you move up in speakers, you will probably benefit from moving up in amplification - you can never get too much power as this aids the dynamics.  Perhaps going separates.

These are just some thoughts;however, you really need to analyze and share what exactly your looking to get out of upgrading.

Darrenmcc

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2012, 06:57 pm »
Hi Darren
What do you feel your lacking?-Bass,mid/hi?
Do you listen at high volumes?
EG#1-Bigger speakers need more power
more power means either seperates or bigger int.
If you go bigger,it requires more change latter(but we love change)
Keep your eyes open on the used market for some good gear for change.
The bass could be better but it is still good and a larger soundstage would be nice. I do like listen music at high volumes. I went from seperates to an integrated amp due to space constraints.

Darrenmcc

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:04 pm »
To make further enhancements to your system - you could consider the following:

Adding a high-end DAC e.g. BDA and streaming hi-res files but this would mean it would make sense to sell the BCD and move to a dedicated (more cost effective) transport - if you're using CD still as a source.

I would not get into subs unless you are looking for a whole lotta tweaking - two subs are better than one.

If you do like the PMC sound then yes, consider moving up the chain to get greater resolution and bass impact.  The twenty series has a different sound then the i-series, as I understand it, so you would need to audition.

If you move up in speakers, you will probably benefit from moving up in amplification - you can never get too much power as this aids the dynamics.  Perhaps going separates.

These are just some thoughts;however, you really need to analyze and share what exactly your looking to get out of upgrading.

Thanks for the info. I still listen to and have a lot of redbook cd's. I would like to keep on that path. Is the Esoteric AI-10 capable of driving something like the OB1i's?  If not what would you suggest integrated wise as a solution? Or there is a possibility I could fit seperates, I just checked and I think I could fit it in.

SoundGame

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:44 pm »
Thanks for the info. I still listen to and have a lot of redbook cd's. I would like to keep on that path. Is the Esoteric AI-10 capable of driving something like the OB1i's?  If not what would you suggest integrated wise as a solution? Or there is a possibility I could fit seperates, I just checked and I think I could fit it in.

I think the Esoteric will drive them but the question is whether they would drive them to their full potential.  Recommended power on the OB1i is 70 to 300 watts / channel.  To maximize, you would want to get an amp with the capability to drive to at least the maximum.  I would think that the 4B-SST2 would be a substantial improvment in drive capability.

mclsound

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2012, 12:01 am »
I would look at a good "USED" pair of IB1's

skunark

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2012, 02:06 am »
What are you not happy with?    I might suggest a BDP and BDA to get you into hi-res music, but if you are happy why change anything else?   

Darrenmcc

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:29 pm »
What are you not happy with?    I might suggest a BDP and BDA to get you into hi-res music, but if you are happy why change anything else?   
It's not that I'm not happy, it is a nice sounding system but always looking to improve or even maximize the full potential of what I have.

skunark

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:13 pm »
So I think you just admitted that you have an addiction?  :)

I would suggest that you start to do some home demos.   I would start by checking out the BDA/BDP combo if you haven't yet, then look into a line-conditioners.    As for speakers I would just skip to the MB2i :) 

Darrenmcc

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:53 pm »
So I think you just admitted that you have an addiction?  :)

I would suggest that you start to do some home demos.   I would start by checking out the BDA/BDP combo if you haven't yet, then look into a line-conditioners.    As for speakers I would just skip to the MB2i :)
Defintely an addiction and an expensive one at that :D I'm not familiar with the BDA/BDP combo and not really sure how it works?  Perhaps you could explain?

skunark

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2012, 06:38 am »
You can check out this link for a description of each.  Essentially consider the BDP a digital file transport which is like a CD transport, and as with all transport, you need a DAC and hence the BDA.   You will also need a HDD and probably an iPhone/iPad or Android device to control it, but you can use anything with a webpage but not my preference.
Bryston BDP-1
Bryston BDA-1

SHV

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2012, 11:14 pm »

Second that.  The BDP-1/BDA-1 combo was the best addition to my system in many years.  Just the convenience, after ripping my CD collection, of being able to play my library from my IPad was worth the cost of the system.

Steve

Darrenmcc

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2012, 08:20 pm »
I have a chance to get some OB1i's at a good price, would going from FB1i's to OB1i's be a more significant upgrade than adding a BDP-1 to what I have?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2012, 08:26 pm »
I have a chance to get some OB1i's at a good price, would going from FB1i's to OB1i's be a more significant upgrade than adding a BDP-1 to what I have?

i would go with better speakers. :thumb:

james