What to upgrade?

JfTM

Re: What to upgrade?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2012, 08:51 pm »
I have a chance to get some OB1i's at a good price, would going from FB1i's to OB1i's be a more significant upgrade than adding a BDP-1 to what I have?

To my ear, the 3 way is a big step up. The PBs over the OBs gives you a more open, spacious and full sound, but very similar.

A Move to the10" woofers (IB/EBs) is another big step up :)

BrysTony

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm »
I have a chance to get some OB1i's at a good price, would going from FB1i's to OB1i's be a more significant upgrade than adding a BDP-1 to what I have?

I would grab those OB1i while you have a good deal.  It might be awhile before you get another opportunity like that.  You can add the BDP-1 when the budget allows and use it with the DAC in your integrated until you want to upgrade the DAC and go to separates.

Tony

Tony

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:28 am »
i would go with better speakers. :thumb:

james

absolutely  8)

Stu Pitt

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:27 pm »
A lot of people have suggested bigger speakers.  Do you guys think bigger speakers would do better in his small room?

I'm not being condescending.   I haven't owned PMCs to be able to definitively say they would or wouldn't work in his room.  I'm just following my experience with large speakers in a small room not sounding right unless there's a ton of treatments in there, which cause other problems.

Going up the PMC line gets better sound in an absolute sense, but that doesn't mean the net result in his room will be better by any means.  The most important thing in a system is the speaker-room interface.  A $1k tower in a large room can easily sound better than a $10k monitor simply because the speaker doesn't fit/play the room properly.

In Darren's shoes, I'd explore smaller speakers personally.  In home demos will tell him what works and what doesn't.  As James so articulately says - "The demo is everything."

Again, I haven't owned the PMCs mentioned to say they'll work or won't work.  It just seems to me like he's shoe-horning what he's currently got in the room.  Swapping them out for bigger speakers would probably make matters worse in my general experience.

Flame away. 

tim92gts

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:58 pm »
Again, I haven't owned the PMCs mentioned to say they'll work or won't work.  It just seems to me like he's shoe-horning what he's currently got in the room.  Swapping them out for bigger speakers would probably make matters worse in my general experience.

Flame away. 

i suspect you're right, more power for the existing speakers would be good but i don't think the Esoteric has pre outs so budget could be a problem.
Trade in for a pre and a 4B would be an improvement and provide power for a small speaker upgrade if needed.
Tim

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:31 pm »

FB1i :   39.37" x 7.87" x 11.81" deep

OB1i :  40.4" x 7.9" x 12.8" deep

These speakers share a common single 170 mm bass driver. That and the fact that the transmission line and cabinet volume for both speakers is quite similar should mean that Darren's stated desire for more bass might not be best addressed by this change. If you're looking to get a bigger soundstage, my own experience was that changing preamp and front end affected it more than changing from one PMC model to another .
Darren, FWIW I would strongly suggest if you're thinking about those OB1i's to try and demo them at home. That way you can see if you think there's enough of a wow factor there over your FB1i's to make it worth your while. I've owned your speakers and they weren't shy on bass - have you investigated placement alternatives or perhaps treating the room itself a bit to get what you're looking for ?

D.D. 

Darrenmcc

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2012, 06:13 pm »

Flame away. 

i suspect you're right, more power for the existing speakers would be good but i don't think the Esoteric has pre outs so budget could be a problem.
Trade in for a pre and a 4B would be an improvement and provide power for a small speaker upgrade if needed.
Tim
You're right it doesn't have pre outs. I would like to change the amp eventually to a pre and amp, 3b or 4b but the buget does not allow this right now.

Darrenmcc

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2012, 06:22 pm »
FB1i :   39.37" x 7.87" x 11.81" deep

OB1i :  40.4" x 7.9" x 12.8" deep

These speakers share a common single 170 mm bass driver. That and the fact that the transmission line and cabinet volume for both speakers is quite similar should mean that Darren's stated desire for more bass might not be best addressed by this change. If you're looking to get a bigger soundstage, my own experience was that changing preamp and front end affected it more than changing from one PMC model to another .
Darren, FWIW I would strongly suggest if you're thinking about those OB1i's to try and demo them at home. That way you can see if you think there's enough of a wow factor there over your FB1i's to make it worth your while. I've owned your speakers and they weren't shy on bass - have you investigated placement alternatives or perhaps treating the room itself a bit to get what you're looking for ?

D.D.
I had to go back and read what I was looking for. I was listening to the FB1i's this morning and the base is fine so no lack there of. I was under the impression that the only difference from the FB1i's to the OB1i's was a dedicated mid woofer, which is supposed to make a big difference. I was surprised that speaker dimensions are almost the same size. Evenutally these speakers will be put in the basement but for a while they will remain upstairs. Nothing in my current system is really lacking other than is sounds a tad thin at times. I thought maybe going to the OB1i's will bring a fuller sound. I won't be able to demo the speakers.Down the line I would add more power with a pre-amp/power amp combo.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #28 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:30 am »
I was under the impression that the only difference from the FB1i's to the OB1i's was a dedicated mid woofer, which is supposed to make a big difference... Nothing in my current system is really lacking other than is sounds a tad thin at times. I thought maybe going to the OB1i's will bring a fuller sound.

FB1i to OB1i = difference
FB1i to PB1i or fact 8 = BIG difference
That's what I mean about sufficient wow-factor for the money you're going to lay out.
Also, is it possible that the "thin" sound you hear at times is just your system giving you an accurate depiction of a thin-sounding recording when you come across one? How does the majority of your music come across through your existing gear ?

D.D.

mclsound

« Reply #29 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:35 am »
Hi Darren
First off I would not go near the PB1/Fact8 because they are little speakers for BIG money.The facts are around 88lbs /pair and the PB1's are just a OB1 on steroids for big dollars..All good speakers have some girth and weight.You said you wanted to upgrade and you like some VOLUME.If you can get the OB1's for $2800-$3200 then thats not bad for these.BUT if they are asking $4000-$5000 or more,I would run away screaming.We put the PB1/Fact8 to a test at a local dealers and left laughing knowing what you get for the rediculous money they were asking.
Now the IB1's are a proven ""CHAMP"".These will work in a small room just fine....They will handle a 14/7bsst at ""FULL"" volumes(the OB1/PB1/FB1's little 6.5" woofer will die in due time) and with a good pair of Sound Anchor stands,weigh in at around 120lbs(stands and speaker)Hell,one IB1 weighs almost as much as a pair of Fact8's!!!!

YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO UPGRADE...WELL these are a upgrade.They will stand the test of time and will handle whatever you throw at them.Their soundstage is unmatched and the woofer is a real low bass transducer.

I have tried several PMC's and use my real world experience only during my opinion and mean no offence to anybody who owns any of the speakers here.

Darrenmcc

« Reply #30 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:25 pm »
FB1i to OB1i = difference
FB1i to PB1i or fact 8 = BIG difference
That's what I mean about sufficient wow-factor for the money you're going to lay out.
Also, is it possible that the "thin" sound you hear at times is just your system giving you an accurate depiction of a thin-sounding recording when you come across one? How does the majority of your music come across through your existing gear ?

D.D.
Yes D.D. it could be the recording. The majority of the music sounds fine.

Darrenmcc

« Reply #31 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:30 pm »
Hi Darren
First off I would not go near the PB1/Fact8 because they are little speakers for BIG money.The facts are around 88lbs /pair and the PB1's are just a OB1 on steroids for big dollars..All good speakers have some girth and weight.You said you wanted to upgrade and you like some VOLUME.If you can get the OB1's for $2800-$3200 then thats not bad for these.BUT if they are asking $4000-$5000 or more,I would run away screaming.We put the PB1/Fact8 to a test at a local dealers and left laughing knowing what you get for the rediculous money they were asking.
Now the IB1's are a proven ""CHAMP"".These will work in a small room just fine....They will handle a 14/7bsst at ""FULL"" volumes(the OB1/PB1/FB1's little 6.5" woofer will die in due time) and with a good pair of Sound Anchor stands,weigh in at around 120lbs(stands and speaker)Hell,one IB1 weighs almost as much as a pair of Fact8's!!!!

YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO UPGRADE...WELL these are a upgrade.They will stand the test of time and will handle whatever you throw at them.Their soundstage is unmatched and the woofer is a real low bass transducer.

I have tried several PMC's and use my real world experience only during my opinion and mean no offence to anybody who owns any of the speakers here.
I wish I could afford those speakers but can't. I'd be getting the OB1i's for my FB1i's plus $2100. Good deal as they are pretty much new. They have only been used a couple of months.

SoundGame

« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2012, 12:49 am »
New the FB1i sells for $5000 CDN and the OB1i for $7000 - $8000.  If the OB1i's are much newer than your FB1i and in just as good or better condition than the difference you should be paying should be $2000 to $3000.  Are you getting a fair deal, sound like it, is it a great deal that you can't walk away from...I don't think so.  The difference I would expect to be predominantly in the midrange - if you're happy with getting the majority of the benefit there then perhaps it's something you could try?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb 2012, 01:57 am »
  Just to throw the monkey wrench in. Have you listened to Esoteric speakers ? Should be a great synergy with the intergrated amp.
  If it were me I would stay put with the sound of the speakers you like already. As good as the Bryston CDP is the DAC is better. Compare the Bryston DAC to an Esoteric.
  If none of the above makes sense to you. Then stay putski and but more music or a TT. :thumb:

charles

jaxwired

« Reply #34 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:13 am »
I currently own the OB1i's and use Bryston amplification.  They OB1i's are very room friendly.  They are not hard to place in a room for good sound and they are not as sensitive to room boundaries as many other speakers.  I have not heard the FB1i so unfortunately I cannot compare the sound.  However, I can tell you that the dome mid on the OB1i sounds very transparent to my ears and I would imagine it to be a worthwhile improvement over the FB1i.  However, that is only speculation.  As for the "deal" you are getting, I think they are about $600 off a great deal, but still a good deal.   

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #35 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:19 am »
Check out the Tannoy Prestige or ATC towers. Both are better and you get more for your money than PMC, imo.

jaxwired

« Reply #36 on: 5 Feb 2012, 12:08 am »
Check out the Tannoy Prestige or ATC towers. Both are better and you get more for your money than PMC, imo.

ATCs are all bass light.  Even the SCM 100s start rolling off at 60hz.  They are very transparent, but they can also be fatigue-ing.  A PMC lover probably won't be happy with ATCs IMO.  ATCs are great audiophile speakers, PMCs are great music lovers speakers in my humble opinion.  No offense meant.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #37 on: 5 Feb 2012, 04:20 am »
No worries. What's your take on the Tannoy Prestige line. I haven't found those to be bass light.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #38 on: 5 Feb 2012, 07:21 am »

Vegasdave : Was there a particular Tannoy Prestige line speaker you were thinking of for the OP to check out as a comparison to the OB1i ? They run from 2G to nearly 40G...

D.D.

Darrenmcc

« Reply #39 on: 5 Feb 2012, 10:26 pm »
I did a little comparison with the Bryston BCD-1 DAC vs. the DAC in my Esoteric AI-10 integrated amp and the Bryston won hands down. How does the Bryston BCD-1 DAC compare to the Bryston BDA-1?