Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

Cheeseboy

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #280 on: 27 Mar 2012, 09:40 pm »
Stop the Madness!

Dude, the Allnic Pre SR is $11K.  The Pass is a tall order as well.

Maybe the Pass for X-Mas.  Used of course.  Did you ever use it RCA in?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #281 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm »
Stop the Madness!

Face it Steve - Michael has been bittten, HARD, by the quest for better sound (sounds like the wife may be just as bad - but that's a good thing - wish I had that kind of support with regards to budgeting).
It's a long road, but a great journey IMHO.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #282 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:52 pm »
Stop the Madness!

I got an unbelievable deal on that pre. That's where last years tax money went  :lol:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #283 on: 28 Mar 2012, 03:01 pm »
Stop the Madness!

Oh ya, sold the Pass for $5200. You missed out  :sleep:

RCA in on what, The Pass? I used balanced where I could and balanced from the Pass to the Cary and then the Allnic.

The Pass wouldn't play well with the Decades. The Decades like tubes IMO. I tried 3 different SS amps to test. To analytical for me anyway.

The Super V's were sounding very nice last night. Lena is really liking what she hears   :singing:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #284 on: 30 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm »
Lena has good ears as I recall. I'm stuck here in Florida working a convention and miss my rig. I think I need to find a way to fit a 350.5 in my system I like my cherry amp and think I might war reach higher

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #285 on: 31 Mar 2012, 04:10 am »
After what I'm experiencing with Decware, I'm missing my Pass.  :cry:

Pass Labs was so great to work with. I mean they went way over the top to make sure you get taken care of whether the amp is new or used. They didn't ask and they didn't care. They simply took care of business.

I thought there might be a chance of actually getting my amp in a few weeks. I just paid for a cap upgrade, shipping and a warranty I didn't know I had to pay for. I also had to pay a $100 bucks for them to solder in the caps! I mean yikes, it's on the bench with a burned up transformer and goo all over the place...  Well, at least they didn't charge me the $477 they said they saved me by selling me a warranty  :?

The Super V's are really opening up. Wow. Wow wow wow. Wow. And with a 1K dollar amp that may not be completely healthy, I'm just saying wow. Listening to The Who Tommy "Overture/ It's a Boy", the V's take you to the performance in a balanced, detailed, non-fatiguing, rhythmic, yet dynamic picture. The image is starting to solidify, possibly helped from some additional room treatments. Again, I was mesmerized by the musical performance from a band that one might not associate with precision musicianship, this was clearly defined through the V's. This I believe was partly due to the way you could track each musician separately if you choose too or simply sit back and take in the performance as a whole. I've listening to these cuts on many a system and haven't heard it this good and this "complete". Playing Tracy Chapman "Fast Car", the song simply sounded for lack of a better word, real. Often I think, I could get caught up in a certain portion of the sound that sounded cool be it in the detail of the recording, the guttural sound of a bass guitar note, or just the rhythm and pace of the song, but then my mind would wander too what was not right, or, not being involved emotionally. A lot of that is mood I know. Heck, I loved my Zenith clock radio when I was 5 or so and loved "Red Rubber Ball". Sounded great. I'm finding myself now VERY involved and feeling after each song, wanting to stop and think about what I just heard. In fact, I played some stuff which I didn't think I would like. So much of my music is tough to listen too. It's just too bright or too harsh, and unless I spin vinyl which almost always cures that affliction, I stay away from a lot of what I used to like a 100 years ago. I usually blame it on digital and rightly so! But wait, something seems to have changed. I spun The Doobie Brothers. Nothing special except of course the song "it keeps you running". Something special about that song - a timing thing - can't explain it, not a musician. I've listened to this music millions of times mostly on the radio. It's so completely different through the V's. Same with The "Wallflowers". Each song had a different flow to it, something different to offer. There's nothing that sounds homogenized hear. I feel like it's the ability to play all the notes with ease that lets the song flow as it was intended to.  It's a band with band members all performing in their own space, or in a space not yet fully defined, but you can pick them out individually. Not an etch-a-sketch here we're talking flesh on bones style, and certainly not the obese style of warmth but the kind that musically involves you in the whole portrait of the song. One problem I'm finding is that you find yourself at the volume control turning it up. That is a really good sign that some system synergy is working well (or well enough in my case). I didn't have my DB meter with me and have to be careful with Jr running around. And Jr is really into dancing with these speakers  :dance: Just don't want to blow out his tender young ears!

I didn't want to write a two-bit review until I have my amp in my system and I could spin vinyl again without Jr removing my stylus  :icon_twisted:  Amp or no amp, I'm planning a get-to-gether sometime in April. Stay tuned. You gotta hear these things!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #286 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:23 pm »
You are so right I gotta hear them. Just cant the weekend of 4/21. Gotta gig in Seattle. I enjoyed the ob servo bass evaluation in the previous thread. I hope we get a reference  aroque piece to listen to from those guys.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #287 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:50 pm »
Glad to hear that they are really coming together! Hope that if you have a GTG I get to come. April not the best for me, but it's a bit of a drive anyhow, so........ - friends are having a late celebration of their 40th, and we will be joining them in Kauai the 20-28. (yeah, i know  :violin:)

I remember when I heard a Threshold (not quite the same as the Pass) at the stereo store I hung out in my college days, it blew everything else in the store away - and they had some good stuff. If I could afford big Pass/Threshold monoblocks, I'd have them in a heartbeat). I can't imagine the Pass sounding anything less than fantastic with the Super V's.

Keep on  :banana piano:

kingdeezie

« Reply #288 on: 31 Mar 2012, 04:17 pm »
Mike,

Glad to see that these things are truly opening up for you.

Hope with the Decware things get even better.  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #289 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:35 pm »
Yes, the Super-V's sound great with the Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks.  They like single ended Class A amps.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #290 on: 31 Mar 2012, 07:49 pm »
Glad to hear that they are really coming together! Hope that if you have a GTG I get to come. April not the best for me, but it's a bit of a drive anyhow, so........ - friends are having a late celebration of their 40th, and we will be joining them in Kauai the 20-28. (yeah, i know  :violin:)

I remember when I heard a Threshold (not quite the same as the Pass) at the stereo store I hung out in my college days, it blew everything else in the store away - and they had some good stuff. If I could afford big Pass/Threshold monoblocks, I'd have them in a heartbeat). I can't imagine the Pass sounding anything less than fantastic with the Super V's.

Keep on  :banana piano:

Remember guys and gals, I don't have the Pass anymore. I didn't think I'd need 350WPC with the Super V's. More like 3.5WPC.

The Alephs would sound amazing, I agree. The Torii is supposed to be amazing. Company not, but amp, maybe.

Working on more room treatments   :shh:

kingdeezie

« Reply #291 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:22 pm »
I wonder how Atmasphere amplifiers would sound with the Vs??

:icon_twisted:

brj

« Reply #292 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:44 pm »
Quote from: MichaelHiFi
Remember guys and gals, I don't have the Pass anymore. I didn't think I'd need 350WPC with the Super V's. More like 3.5WPC.

You very likely don't need 350W, but how about 40W?

Realize that the 350W rating of the X350.5 amp is the class AB power output into 8 Ohms.  If you're running an efficient enough speaker with that amp, you would have the benefit of never leaving class A operation and thus avoiding any crossover distortion.  Thus, you could just as easily consider it a 40W (peak) class A amplifier.

(This is more inline with the Pass XA series of amps, where the rating reflects the class A operation limit.  Just like the X series, however, the XA series amps will transition into AB beyond their rated limit.  Thus, the "small" XA30.5 amp with its 30W class A rating can really put out 153W if you also include its class B region of operation as well.  I think all of the First Watt amps are rated based on their class A operation limit as well, rather than their total possible output if you consider class AB.)

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #293 on: 31 Mar 2012, 10:39 pm »
You very likely don't need 350W, but how about 40W?

Realize that the 350W rating of the X350.5 amp is the class AB power output into 8 Ohms.  If you're running an efficient enough speaker with that amp, you would have the benefit of never leaving class A operation and thus avoiding any crossover distortion.  Thus, you could just as easily consider it a 40W (peak) class A amplifier.

(This is more inline with the Pass XA series of amps, where the rating reflects the class A operation limit.  Just like the X series, however, the XA series amps will transition into AB beyond their rated limit.  Thus, the "small" XA30.5 amp with its 30W class A rating can really put out 153W if you also include its class B region of operation as well.  I think all of the First Watt amps are rated based on their class A operation limit as well, rather than their total possible output if you consider class AB.)

I agree, the X350.5 was class A until ~65WPC then went AB in operation. If one paid attention to the front meters, in my setup(s), I rarely saw them move. Even with inefficient speakers like my former MBL's, it never broke a sweat, but it made us sweat as in a 150lb heater  :oops:

XA series amp would have to be stellar but listening to this "inexpensive" Onix, it's really really good. First watt or XA would be fun to insert for a listen. I'm hopeful the Torii will perform magic and not the smokey, smelly type.  :x

kingdeezie

« Reply #294 on: 31 Mar 2012, 11:07 pm »
Mike,

Danny has said that the speakers need to be three feet from the wall. Is this to the back of the coaxial driver, or the back of the entire speaker?

How deep, and its deepest point, are the Super Vs?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #295 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:10 am »
Mike,

Danny has said that the speakers need to be three feet from the wall. Is this to the back of the coaxial driver, or the back of the entire speaker?

How deep, and its deepest point, are the Super Vs?

Hey King, I'm 68" from the wall/trap. That's nearly 6ft. What would I gain besides bass which I already have? Maybe mid-bass?  :scratch:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #296 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:54 am »
. . . Michael, it looks more to me like King is sizing them up for. . . other purposes. . .  :tempted:. . . I might be wrong, though, as King was one of the old guard who moved heaven and earth for his LSs. . .

King, if so, here is the link to Danny's box plans: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf.  Should get you in the ballpark. :D

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #297 on: 1 Apr 2012, 03:06 am »
. . . Michael, it looks more to me like King is sizing them up for. . . other purposes. . .  :tempted:. . . I might be wrong, though, as King was one of the old guard who moved heaven and earth for his LSs. . .

King, if so, here is the link to Danny's box plans: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf.  Should get you in the ballpark. :D

Ahh, I see, alternative motive's.

Now drag some LS's over hear and we'll have a real audio war  :duel:

Neil Young's Chrome Dream II is playing.  You just got to hear "Ordinary People" on the V's.  :thumb:

Stuck some pillows in the ceiling corners and added a rug at 1st reflection ceiling point. My wife don't get the meaning of "straight"   :wtf:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #298 on: 1 Apr 2012, 03:42 am »
Now LS9 and Super-V side by side in the same room (that can handle both speakers well) - that would be a cool comparison.  Apples to oranges, sure, but cool nonetheless.

I'm rocking out right now to "Darkness" by Disturbed. . . listening to the p-audio coaxials sitting bare on the floor cobbled together hooked up to the wrong (boxed version) crossovers. . . the clarity and detail these drivers can produce really shines through without the box around them - they have a delicacy and separation that, when they were in a box, I could tell "wanted" to come out but just couldn't quite get "there".

I held off after talking to Danny again on pulling the trigger on the rest of the parts. . . What's been going through my head lately regarding building on my system is that I feel like I'm at the edge of a new "cliff".  I see the potential of what I've got in front of me.  Think about moving "up" to speakers of this caliber, I get this feeling (already) that some of my other associated get won't be (isn't) up to the task so to speak, meaning upgrades.  Problem is, to start upgrading the rest of the chain will basically move me up in price points to the "next level" from where I'm at now - kind of going from $$$ to $$$$ in gear.

I guess my problem is I'm not sure right now exactly how far down the rabbit hole I (read: my wallet and I) want to go, as going half-way really isn't worth the stretch.  Like each move up I've made in this hobby, if I'm going, I'm going all-in or not at all; any less seems like wasted potential. . .

. . . Just hit the opening guitar riff from "Humans Being" by Van Halen.  Did I ever mention how awesome these drivers do amplified guitar?  :guitar: :rock:

kingdeezie

« Reply #299 on: 1 Apr 2012, 04:13 am »

Very clever sir...

I am in fact eyeing up a pair of these. The LS-6s I have right now are great, but I am sure I am not truly getting their full effect in my 12x18 room. There just isn't enough space to get them far enough from the walls, and then far enough away from me.

:duh:

I was just wondering if the three feet distance was from the coaxial driver or the back of the servo subs.