Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

MichaelHiFi

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #120 on: 29 Feb 2012, 02:29 pm »
Help - Drivers Wanted.  :lol:

Now I'm ready to load the drivers. Decided to perform this function in the living room because once the drivers are loaded, I may not be able to get these speakers in the living room!

On the bow ties, I noted that the paint did not fair well due to the roughness of the surface. Need to find a way to fix that slight miscue. It's worse on the one that's shown.

In the background in an Onix SP3 that Scott so graciously loaned us until our Decware returns. Thanks again Scott!

« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2012, 04:50 pm by MichaelHiFi »

chip

« Reply #121 on: 29 Feb 2012, 02:47 pm »
Those are coming along nicely. Can't wait to see them completed.

devste

« Reply #122 on: 29 Feb 2012, 02:48 pm »
Wow those are beautiful.  Great choice of colors!  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #123 on: 29 Feb 2012, 05:38 pm »
Love the color, very cool!

Andre2

« Reply #124 on: 29 Feb 2012, 07:55 pm »
man, those are great... I am coveting   :D :D 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #125 on: 29 Feb 2012, 09:04 pm »
Wow, those are much, much smaller than your current speakers.

gotchaforce

« Reply #126 on: 1 Mar 2012, 01:14 am »
That automotive paint job looks ridiculously good. for my next pair of DIY speakers i want to get an automotive paint job, maybe a 3 cu ft box sealed... how much was it just for those panels if you dont mind me asking?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #127 on: 1 Mar 2012, 05:14 am »
That automotive paint job looks ridiculously good. for my next pair of DIY speakers i want to get an automotive paint job, maybe a 3 cu ft box sealed... how much was it just for those panels if you dont mind me asking?

It was $400 bucks. I might have done it myself with my Iwata L400 HVLP gun but now in California, we can only use water based paints and that's a whole new painting game I'm not participating in. Besides, I would have easily $250 in paint supplies alone! Fogetaboutit   :nono:

They look better in person I think. I got half the drivers loaded in the cabinets tonight. The lower servo woofers don't have predrilled holes in the baffle that I noticed. Those are going to be painful to install.

Guy 13

« Reply #128 on: 1 Mar 2012, 05:24 am »
It was $400 bucks. I might have done it myself with my Iwata L400 HVLP gun but now in California, we can only use water based paints and that's a whole new painting game I'm not participating in. Besides, I would have easily $250 in paint supplies alone! Fogetaboutit   :nono:

They look better in person I think. I got half the drivers loaded in the cabinets tonight. The lower servo woofers don't have predrilled holes in the baffle that I noticed. Those are going to be painful to install.

Hi Michael and all Audio Circle members.
On my V1 and also on my V2, 
I did not have any pre-drilled guide holes and
I had more than my share of aggravation trying
to scew in the screws.
Next time, Ruben will do enclosures for me, he's the one that will struggle with the screws if he forget the guide holes.
Guy 13

Uncle Elvis

« Reply #129 on: 1 Mar 2012, 03:56 pm »
Michael,

Those look fabulous! Excellent work and excellent color. Can't wait to read your full review!

Have a super day,

Ken

Cheeseboy

« Reply #130 on: 1 Mar 2012, 04:37 pm »
I'm diggin those speakers!  I like the acousticaly transparent Navajo Blankets on the corner bass traps.  Very nice touch.  The new maroon heavy drapes are lookin good as well.  That will be the best sounding room south of the San Mateo bridge.  Noooooo Doubt abooudit.

The young craftsman in the house really did a great job!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #131 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:18 am »
The drivers are installed. It wasn't that bad installing the bottom drivers. We set the speakers face down, dropped in the woofers, marked the holes, drilled with my right angled drill, (you need a right angle drill!), dropped the woofer back in, used a bit in the right angle drill, installed the screws, finish by hand with a phillips - done.

Wife is getting really excited  :banana piano: Wait till I clean them up  :D

vettett15

« Reply #132 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:30 am »
Michael,

Build looks great, can't wait for your report on how it sounds...   I was wondering if you could tell me how many pieces make up the "box" that I circled in the picture.

I think it is a top and two sides but the rounds make it look one piece (probably just good assembly skills here).

SoCalWJS

« Reply #133 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:38 am »
It's getting close now! They look fantastic Michael!

You should have new speakers for the weekend!  :banana piano:

Racer X

« Reply #134 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:50 am »
Looking good Michael did you get the plate amps yet.

Danny Richie

« Reply #135 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:52 am »
Michael, those look awesome!

Hey vettett15, how did you come up with that screen name. Are you a Vette owner?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #136 on: 2 Mar 2012, 04:08 am »
Vettett15 - those cross-over boxes came that way, no assembly required. You do have to cut a board to mount the cross-over components on the board to fit inside that cabinet. I errored in that regard and have to trim my plates darn-it.

It's going to be an interesting report. Consider this.

My wife and critically listened to many hundreds of systems. Few we really liked. What we were hearing tonight, slaving our minds to the compromises - if you will - in equipment, that is, cross-overs that are compromised and wires not fully realized, yikes.

Listening to Sade "Soldiers Of Love" through the Tyler Decades fed by a Allnic L3000, Onix SP3 with an Oppo BDP95 source taking data from a hard drive it was really good. The bass wasn't good at all, but it was playing, I mean singing. If I were to have walked into a room, say at CES, or Rocky Mountain, I would have really liked this setup! Maybe the mere presence of the Super V's have something to do with this?  :lol:

Those Decade D1's really like tubes. Danny seems to have designed a ruler flat response into the Decades that makes them play ruler flat when mated with highly accurate solid state amps. These speakers have now seen no less than 6 amps, 3 tube and 3 SS. All 3 tube killed all 3 SS amps.

The plate amps are on there way, March 6th is the date. I should have these speakers fully assembled or rather, wired this weekend waiting for those amps.

I'll need some burn-in time then I'll need some golden ears to assess what these speakers are all about.

Any volunteers?

vettett15

« Reply #137 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:56 pm »
Danny, I started using that name a long time ago when I was in love with the Lingenfelter Twin Turbo vette.  Closest I came was a 98 Trans am with heads/cam/intake/exhaust/etc putting 440 at the wheels. 

Michael,  thanks for the info.  I'd be going crazy waiting on those plate amps, i'm sure it will be worth it. 

Can you give us any insight into other "top" systems you have listened to?  It would be interesting to know what your reference is (sorry if you already stated this and i missed it).

Danny Richie

« Reply #138 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:09 pm »
Danny, I started using that name a long time ago when I was in love with the Lingenfelter Twin Turbo vette.  Closest I came was a 98 Trans am with heads/cam/intake/exhaust/etc putting 440 at the wheels. 

Sounds like we have another common interest.

vettett15

« Reply #139 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:26 pm »
You mean just how we prefer our bass we prefer our cars (fast and tight of course)....  I'm sorry I sold that car but i've moved onto a 370z which i'm in love with.  Tried my hand at the strip a couple times all I do is spin... Much harder than it looks.

Where is the next show that the Super V's are going to be shown at?