Old Amps - I Can Hardly Believe My Ears

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Old Amps - I Can Hardly Believe My Ears
« on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:47 pm »
On another topic, FrankI told us that old receivers have better headphone amps than are now available. I replied that I was impressed with the performance on the headphone jack on my ancient Technics SU-V303, which is a 40 watt integrated amp that's about 25 years old.

I've listened more closely to this amp using my LCD-2s and comparing it with my Schiit Lyr, which I like very much. This test impressed me even more than my first kick of the can (no pun intended).

The Technics, being more transparent, gives my LCD-2s better resolution in the upper and high end, where these headphones have a little weakness. At the same time, as a result, the LCD-2s are less dark than they are on the Lyr, and give the sense of having a wider soundstage. And because the Technics seems to have plenty of power (can't safely set the volume much above 9:00 o'clock) none of the wonderful merits of the LCD-2 are compromised. Bass still awesome and tight.

And unlike my Lyr, the Technics has absolutely no hum at any volume setting. Dead quiet.

So an amp I bought decades ago probably for a couple of hundred bucks, seems to do an overall better job with my LCD-2s than the excellent Lyr.

Frank, I can't speak about other old amps, or their comparative performance with other amps and headphones, but in the case of my Technics and LCD-2s, you have hit the nail right on the head. I can hardly believe my ears.

Has anyone else had this kind of result comparing other headphone amps and other headphones?

dBel84

Re: Old Amps - I Can Hardly Believe My Ears
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:43 am »
Yes , there are quite a few threads on various forums devoted to this subject. The newer Leben are also said to have great headphone stages. I don't feel they compete at the upper tier in the headphone amp world but they sure give many of the ubiquitous amps a run for their money. And this is especially true of planar magnetic headphones - there has long been an allegiance with vintage orthodynamic headphones and big 70's mosfet amps..dB

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2012, 02:15 am »
On another topic, FrankI told us that old receivers have better headphone amps than are now available. I replied that I was impressed with the performance on the headphone jack on my ancient Technics SU-V303, which is a 40 watt integrated amp that's about 25 years old.

I've listened more closely to this amp using my LCD-2s and comparing it with my Schiit Lyr, which I like very much. This test impressed me even more than my first kick of the can (no pun intended).

The Technics, being more transparent, gives my LCD-2s better resolution in the upper and high end, where these headphones have a little weakness. At the same time, as a result, the LCD-2s are less dark than they are on the Lyr, and give the sense of having a wider soundstage. And because the Technics seems to have plenty of power (can't safely set the volume much above 9:00 o'clock) none of the wonderful merits of the LCD-2 are compromised. Bass still awesome and tight.

And unlike my Lyr, the Technics has absolutely no hum at any volume setting. Dead quiet.

So an amp I bought decades ago probably for a couple of hundred bucks, seems to do an overall better job with my LCD-2s than the excellent Lyr.

Frank, I can't speak about other old amps, or their comparative performance with other amps and headphones, but in the case of my Technics and LCD-2s, you have hit the nail right on the head. I can hardly believe my ears.

Has anyone else had this kind of result comparing other headphone amps and other headphones?

Who the heck is Frank? I am not sure about your amp, but 90% of the old amps just took a feed from the tail end of the power amp section and dumped a lot of power from that to arrive at a headphone level output for the headphone jacks on their gear. I'd be surprised if Leben didn't do the same thing. My point is that it is way less transparent than what any decent headphone amp could provide. That's not to ay that it'll sound "bad" or that you shouldn't enjoy it for what it is. Just that it might not be what you assume it is.
-Bill

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2012, 03:06 am »
I will second that Frank Who?

Some of the old receivers were decent but i don't think they compete with a good dedicated head amp.

DaveNote

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2012, 03:23 am »
It's interesting that the question is asked, "Who's Frank?" Who is Uptown Audio? Who is ecramer or even DaveNote? Does it really matter on a forum where no one knows anyone else? In any case, FrankI is the handle of a person who raised the point about old receivers on this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92044.100

I have no problem with good new dedicated headphone amps. Indeed, I've owned some that many others found to be quite good. But I discovered, at least for me, that an old amp of mine sounds very good, even when compared to good new ones. Like ecramer, before hauling it out and doing the comparison, I, too, would have assumed, that an old receiver couldn't compete with a good dedicated headphone amp. That's what made the discovery interesting.

Dave

Frank I

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2012, 11:01 pm »

ss dark than they are on the Lyr, and give the sense of having a wider soundstage. And because the Technics seems to have plenty of power (can't safely set the volume muc

Glad you like the receiver. i have owned three at the same time. The Pioneer SX980,SX650,Sansui G4500 and also had a Marantz 220B and all were good. my favorites are the Pioneer Silver series and they are really special Keep your eyes peeled for the SX50 and 80 series. The higher you go in the series the better they get.

DaveNote

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2012, 12:11 am »
Thanks, Frank, for your comment. Two people on this thread wanted to know who you are, although, of course, we still don't know...and more importantly, don't need to know.

The more I listen to my ancient Technics integrated amp, the more I like it. One person in responding, whoever he/she is (and again it doesn't matter), suggested that I shouldn't assume what I'm hearing is what I'm hearing. Which raises an interesting question: If an audiophile can't trust his ears, then what should he use to make judgements about his gear? Reviews? Measurements? Comments by forum members? Magic beads? If you can't assume what you hear is what you hear, then, why not just read stuff and never use audio equipment at all. In other words, if can't trust your ears, why be an audiophile?

Dave

Frank I

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:19 am »
LOL I have been active in the hobby for 35 years. i am a 56 old dude from NJ . I have been active on Headfi for the last 3 years and on audio asylum for the last 10 years. My passion is tube gear and headphones these days but I have owned some nice 2 channel in the past including a CAT SL1MK11,CJ Premier !!A and Genesis V speakers with a Classe CDP .5 but since I have had Revel F30, Maggie MMG and now I am in a near field setup using Omega Super v with a Outlaws sub and Decware CSP2 and Taboo setup. I owned all the flagships except stax and have continued to be very active on headfi and trying to become more active here. Hope this at least gives you an idea of what I am all about.

Frank I

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:27 am »

Some of the old receivers were decent but i don't think they compete with a good dedicated head amp.
Well i will say this I have owned and still own a Pioneer SX650 and all of the vintage 70 receivers were better than the five SS amps I owned,Meir Concerto,PS Audio GCHH,Schiit Asgard, Matrix M stage twice. and Little Dot Mk11. I have Decware Taboo and CSP2 with the Beyer T1,Denon D7000 and HIFiman HE500 and there is a vintage thread on Headfi where there are well over 40000 views who agree with me that the vintage receiver are all better and they all drive the K1000 and HE6 out of the headphone jacks,. They wer all discreet transistors. No 40 cent opamp need apply they did not exist. Now what gear do you own sport? And until you try them and own them your not really qualified to give an opinion. I never give any recommendation on gear I never heard. I always make it a point to listen to gear and I own some very nice gear to back up my statements and after all they are my opinions but you need to hear them before you say that head amps are better. Thats only fair. I am also snooping around a Marantz 2285 that I may pick up next. That amp was a 750 amp in the 70.s today it would cost over 5,000 to build .

Frank I

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:37 am »
It's interesting that the question is asked, "Who's Frank?" Who is Uptown Audio? Who is ecramer or even DaveNote? Does it really matter on a forum where no one knows anyone else? In any case, FrankI is the handle of a person who raised the point about old receivers on this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92044.100

I have no problem with good new dedicated headphone amps. Indeed, I've owned some that many others found to be quite good. But I discovered, at least for me, that an old amp of mine sounds very good, even when compared to good new ones. Like ecramer, before hauling it out and doing the comparison, I, too, would have assumed, that an old receiver couldn't compete with a good dedicated headphone amp. That's what made the discovery interesting.

Dave
Thanks dave and really people need to be open minded about gear but the headfi site and audio kharma are filled with opinions on the vintage 70/ receivers specifically the Pioneer,Sansui and marantz receivers. There were no opamps and the power supplies cannot be matched or duplicated and the sound is sincredibly good and they all drive the HE6 which there are few headphone amps that can drive then and they do it from the headphone jack and most of them had outstanding FM tuners and phono stages. They are legendary receivers and cannot be duplicated today. The   Pioneer SX1250 was 950.00 in the 70/6 and what does that equate to in today dollars. gas was 60 cents a allon. No way a head amp with a 2.900 opamp going to compete with a discrete transistor design with all high quality parts. Hell the Pioneer had Walnut real wood . They outperformed 5 other SS headamp only by a wide margin Check out the threads or better yet check out the gear before saying its no good. I am always amazed at how people who never own a single head amp or any vintage gear make a statement as to whats better. Confuses me all day long.cabinet gallon. I hope frank I WHO IS NOW A LITTLE BETTER KNOWN.

DaveNote

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:40 am »
LOL I have been active in the hobby for 35 years. i am a 56 old dude from NJ . I have been active on Headfi for the last 3 years and on audio asylum for the last 10 years. My passion is tube gear and headphones these days but I have owned some nice 2 channel in the past including a CAT SL1MK11,CJ Premier !!A and Genesis V speakers with a Classe CDP .5 but since I have had Revel F30, Maggie MMG and now I am in a near field setup using Omega Super v with a Outlaws sub and Decware CSP2 and Taboo setup. I owned all the flagships except stax and have continued to be very active on headfi and trying to become more active here. Hope this at least gives you an idea of what I am all about.

No need,to give your bona fides, Frank, but in terms of trusting my ears, which I confess are now very old, I have been buying audio equipment for more than 40 years. I have owned a lot, now my main system includes PMC MB2i speakers, Bryson 7BSST2 amps, a Bryston BDA DAC, a Bryston BP26 preamp and BDP-1 digital player. I have owned these headphones: Grado RS-1, Grado SR80, Sennheiser HD800, KRK KNS8400, and best of all, Audeze LCD-2. I have owned these headphone amps: Grado, V-CAns, Creek, Grace Designs m902, and Schiit Lyr. The best of all this headphone gear, overall, using my old ears, which I necessarily need to use (but now am told shouldn't trust), is the LCD-2 using my very old Technics SU-V303 integrated amp headphone jack. This is not to say that other combinations don't have strengths, and the one I favour has no faults - it's the one that sound the best to me...if, of course, I were allowed to trust my own ears.

Dave

Frank I

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:47 am »

Your assumption on the receiver is incorrect. The Pioneer all used 150ohm resistors in their headphone damp on their receivers and Leben also uses a resistor in their headphone section. My Taboo Decware was custom made for me at my request with no resistor so the headphone would get all the power of the amp. I have the first taboo designed with an amp and now a popular seller for Decware for people who own the lCD2 and Hifiman p,kanars and the infamous AKG K1000. They need power and the Taboo and receivers can drive them especially the hE6. The 70'ds had no opamp 2.00 chip and Ta map crap made today. Most of the stuff being manufactured today is throw away unless you spend lots of  money.

DaveNote

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:47 am »
Thanks dave and really people need to be open minded about gear but the headfi site and audio kharma are filled with opinions on the vintage 70/ receivers specifically the Pioneer,Sansui and marantz receivers. There were no opamps and the power supplies cannot be matched or duplicated and the sound is sincredibly good and they all drive the HE6 which there are few headphone amps that can drive then and they do it from the headphone jack and most of them had outstanding FM tuners and phono stages. They are legendary receivers and cannot be duplicated today. The   Pioneer SX1250 was 950.00 in the 70/6 and what does that equate to in today dollars. gas was 60 cents a allon. No way a head amp with a 2.900 opamp going to compete with a discrete transistor design with all high quality parts. Hell the Pioneer had Walnut real wood . They outperformed 5 other SS headamp only by a wide margin Check out the threads or better yet check out the gear before saying its no good. I am always amazed at how people who never own a single head amp or any vintage gear make a statement as to whats better. Confuses me all day long.cabinet gallon. I hope frank I WHO IS NOW A LITTLE BETTER KNOWN.

Frank, because of your comment, I tried my old Technics out, and although it was cheap even when I bought it, I can testify that what you say and have found about old amps and receivers, in my case, has been proven to be the case. I kick myself for having given away, many years ago, Marantz and Pioneer receivers.

More importantly, I've been watching how the headphone amp market is exploding. Bryston and HiFiMan are introducing new SS amps very shortly. I'm attracted to both these units, but my experience with the Technics has given me pause. It may be that the future of headphone amps is in the past.

Dave

Frank I

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:51 am »
Your assumption on the receiver is incorrect. The Pioneer all used 150ohm resistors in their headphone damp on their receivers and Leben also uses a resistor in their headphone section. My Taboo Decware was custom made for me at my request with no resistor so the headphone would get all the power of the amp. I have the first taboo designed with an amp and now a popular seller for Decware for people who own the lCD2 and Hifiman p,kanars and the infamous AKG K1000. They need power and the Taboo and receivers can drive them especially the hE6. The 70'ds had no opamp 2.00 chip and Ta map crap made today. Most of the stuff being manufactured today is throw away unless you spend lots of  money.

Thanks Dave it just seemd people on your thread are making statements and never heard any of the amps or receivers or headphones to make any assumption and then say they were not decent. Us old timers know what it was like in the 70's with great gear that will never ever be duplicated again and most of all not sound as good. Try to see if you can hear your LCD2 on the Decware Taboo or the Leben for the tube goodness and seek out a SX Pioneer 8-19 series 50 or 80. The 850SX abd up all have the real walnut cabinets and man they sound so good too.

Frank I

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:55 am »
Dave I think most of the good tube amps from Jack Wu or Steve Deckert from Decware can specifically tailored to your needs. My Taboo and CSP2 tube amps with headphones are all better. But I am talking over 2K in Decware amps to get there plus over 400.00 in NOS tubes. Prices for good stuff is very expensive and sometimes you can get steals with receivers. I paid 80.00 for a Sansui G4500,35.00 for a SX650 and 180.00 for the SX950 and had a Marantz 220B in a wood case I paid 200.00 sold them all except the 650 because I sold my LCD2 and HE6

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2012, 04:18 am »
one of the best tube headphone amps I've heard was the Grant Fidelity A-534 Integrated Tube Amplifier. which is actually a Yaqin MS-534 Integrated 300B SET Tube Amplifier.

Features:

Pure Class A Triode single ended
    Japanese silicon steel transformer - low noise, wide frequency response range
    Philip MKP for audio capacitors
    5N (99.999%) Oxygen Free Copper wire throughout
    Top bias testing and adjustment points for each power tube to maximize performance and prolong tube life
    Dual mono tube rectified choke input power Supply for the ultimate voltage control and super fidelity
    Front headphone Jack for 32 ohm tabbed off 300B circuitry
    Silver brushed aluminum top chassis and silver front panel
    Aluminum remote control included
    (4) pairs of gold coated RCA inputs
    (2) sets of speaker binding posts (4 ohm and 8 ohm with shared ground)
    Dual voltage (115/230V 50/60Hz) - user selectable on the side (factory default setting is at 230V)
    IEC (5ft) power cord provided
    Tube cage included

Specifications:

Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 50kHz (+/- 2dB)
    Output Power: 10 watts per channel (8 Ohm RMS)
    S/N ratio: >= 88 dB (A weighted)
    Input Impedance: 4 ohm or 8 ohm
    Input Voltage: <= 280 mV (1kHz)
    THD: <=1.5% at 6.5w
    Size: 23" W x 18.5" H x 15" D
    Weight: 28kg / 62 lbs
    Vacuum Tubes: Shuguang 300B x 2, EL34 x 2, 12AX7 x 2, 5U4G or equivalent x1

I want to welcome both DaveNote and Frank I to the Headphone Mania. I wasn't being a smart Ars when i asked Frank who theres a couple of Franks here and DaveNote hadn't giving a link to the conversation he was refering to. Whos ecramer 53 from the eastern most part of PA.  headphone enthusiast, member of head-fi  since 2006 although i never posted a lot. was a wonderful place to learn about gear. Audio idiot since  i caught the bug while i was in the military first system was all Phase Linear gear and kenwood speakers Technics TT. and facilitator of the Headphone mania  circle here on AC.

I was in a situation not that long ago where i had to dig an old kenwood ka-3500 era 1977 out when a friend who owns a record store here in stroudsburg ask me too look at a beautiful pioneer TT that he could not get to play. I dont own a MM phono stage at this time so i hooked the tt up to the kenwood and used the headphone jack with my dt-880s to get the correct setup it was a really nice setup once i got the cartridge lined up. Played some Doors and a couple other lps before i reluctant gave him back his TT  :green:

Frank I

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:00 pm »
Ilike 300B tube amps like the Cary 300SEI and the WooWA5LE but I was reluctant because the price for good NOS tubes in insanity. WE going for 1000 and up for a single tube. I have little confidence that the newer 300 B tubes from China would be bette ror near as good in quality and they are about 175.00 tube so I have stayed away from those types of amps. My Decware run on EL84 and NOS Sylvania run me about 40-50 tube  NOS and I am stacking up on the the blackplates as they are getting scarce. I have enough EL84 for about 8-10 years. So it less expensive to run and granted they don't have the 300B sound but to get the best out  of a 300B amp you need to spend lots and lots of money for the NOS. EL34 amps are nice too.

mhconley

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:47 pm »
one of the best tube headphone amps I've heard was the Grant Fidelity A-534 Integrated Tube Amplifier. which is actually a Yaqin MS-534 Integrated 300B SET Tube Amplifier.

Ian let me listen to several songs from my demo CD through headphones on this amp at the 2009 RMAF.  I was mesmerized.  If I ever buy a dedicated headphone amp it will be one of these.

Martin

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2012, 03:43 pm »
Ilike 300B tube amps like the Cary 300SEI and the WooWA5LE but I was reluctant because the price for good NOS tubes in insanity. WE going for 1000 and up for a single tube. I have little confidence that the newer 300 B tubes from China would be bette ror near as good in quality and they are about 175.00 tube so I have stayed away from those types of amps. My Decware run on EL84 and NOS Sylvania run me about 40-50 tube  NOS and I am stacking up on the the blackplates as they are getting scarce. I have enough EL84 for about 8-10 years. So it less expensive to run and granted they don't have the 300B sound but to get the best out  of a 300B amp you need to spend lots and lots of money for the NOS. EL34 amps are nice too.

while i was looking for  a picture of the amp i saw these.

Psvane WE300B 1:1 Replica - Extremely Limited Quantity
Mon, 01/16/2012 - 14:48 — Grant Fidelity

The waiting for American WE 300B re-issue seems to be endless; now we might have found the answer... Chinese tubemanufacturer Psvane Audio and their behind-the-scene investors have been busy sourcing vacuum tube materials from exactly where Western Electric used to source theirs for making the legendary 300B tubes. Now a 100% 1:1 WE300B Replica tube model has become available from Psvane Audio. Grant Fidelity is the first one to introduce it to North America - Very limited quantity due to the supply of parts is extremely limited.

Check out details here - introductory price in place now but won't hold long! Don't miss this opportunity to be part of the WE legend.

Psvane WE300B

Simontam

« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:13 am »
I am new to audiocircle so hello to everyone, here is something all 300b lovers might find useful sophia audio in virginia sells a fabulous 300b meshplate for 350.00 a pair check out all the sophia tubes. Check out there website all kinds of neat tube stuff for builder. oh yes i have a yaqin ms 534 with all sophia tubes the are better than the black treasure tubes i love em!! good listening everyone

Dave